FIGJAM

Unhappy DUI's can be so lucky!

It still amazes me after so many years of responding to MVA's that the fools that drink and drive can be so lucky!

So often they're the ones that walk away from the worst accidents or seem to have so much luck on their side.

Take these two photos- this guy was DUI and speeding. He came around a sweeping bend and lost control of his car. Hit the pole on the drivers side, trapping him. The pole was still live, with exposed wires and to add to the excitement for everyone else, the fuel tank was leaking. He was time critical and was removed pretty quickly with absolute minimal cutting. He survived and was released from hospital a couple of weeks later.

I can't figure it out....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Luke

FIGJAM

Another photo....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Luke

Default DUI'S ARE LUCKY

IT IS SAID THAT THE LORD LOOKS OUT FOR DRUNKS AND LIITLE CHILDREN. MUST BE SO. NICE BOX CRIB!

MembersZone Subscriber

At a previous department, we had a drunk 17 y/o kid wreck his dad’s sports car one night. Lost it at 100+ mph on a curve coming into town. He slid broadside into the guardrail, taking out 50 feet of it, and then went airborne for another 75 feet before crashing into the lake that was at flood stage.

What saved him was the fact that he wasn’t wearing his seat belt. When he broadsided the guardrail, his car began a side-over-side roll. He was ejected out the window and landed in the water 10 feet from the shore on the other side of the bridge. He managed to make it to the shore.

He was actually sitting there watching us attempt to locate the car in about 10 feet of water for about 20 minutes before making his presence known. He was so drunk that he couldn’t remember if anyone was in the car with him. There wasn’t.

The only injury he had was a small cut to his little finger on his right hand.

He lost his license for a year over the deal. Two weeks shy of the one year, he got caught running a stop sign by the local police and attempted to run from them. Having his tires shot out by the county undersheriff brought him to a stop. Turns out he was high and had “a green leafy substance” on him.

A real quality individual.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

MembersZone Subscriber

I work as a 911 dispatcher as well as a volunteer fire fighter/EMT. One night while I was working at dispatch I paged out my department for a possible four vehicle accident, possible two fatal. When the first unit arrived he advised that there were two vehicles involved and at least one fatal. After everything was done, one of the other EMT's calls to let me know what had happened. A drunk driver headed north in a SUV crossed the center line and hit a small compact car head on. The driver of the car was killed instantly as the SUV went over the top of him. The passenger of the SUV was ejected, and then ran over by a semi truck and trailer. The drunk driver got a free ride in a sherif car to jail, he was not injured besides a small cut on his finger.
    It makes me sick that someone can drink and drive killing two other people and walk away unhurt.

Forum Member

Default There was this one time though.......

........my dept was sent to a single car mva. Upon arrival, we found a Ford contour that had gone out of control and SKIPPED sideways across the yard like a stone on the water..... until it hit a tree in mid air with the drivers door,and then rotated to the opposite side of the tree before hitting the ground.

Needless to say, the driver was DOA. BAC was measured at .30.

Oh,by the way,the road was straight and level in the area of the wreck. Possibly suicide.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Forum Member

A not so fortunate drunk..... A guy is out drinking and NOT driving. His friends drive him around all night long while he drinks and mourns his recent break up with his girl friend. The last guy drives him home at 2:30am. Everythings cool until.... this guy decides to go for a joy ride in his dad's corvette and his buddy jumps in too.

He lost control on a straight road, hit the trees over 100 mph. The trees did not stop him. The car made it through about 50 yards of trees (trees were small, 3 inch diameter) and flipped ejecting the driver who was unrestrained. the driver went airborne 40 feet and landed face first. The passenger who was restrained was still in the remains of the car and conscious and alert. I was first on the scene (I am a first responder in my "free" time) The driver lost his pulse 5 minutes out from the hospital. The passenger had a broken neck and is paralyzed from the chest down. I didnt realize until after seeing the passenger...both these guys are good friends of mine. Not one of my favorite calls but, one I'll never forget.
    Mark Carlson

firefighter's find 'em hot and leave 'em wet!

Lutan,

If working in the ER has taught me anything, it isn't that DUI/MVA's are lucky, it is that they are relaxed. Most sober people who are in a crash, have time to tense up. Which is the worst possible thing that you can do. When people are drunk their reflexes are slowed, and the most ridiculous things seem 'cool', so when they are flying through the air at 80 mph, or rolling, or wrapping their car around a pole etc, it doesn't occur to them that they should be afraid, so they don't tense up.

They also don't seem to grasp how much it actually hurts which is why they can be real '******' when you are trying to treat them.

I once had a DUI/MVA pt, dislocate all of his fingers on one hand pulling his hand out of restraints, the pain factor never actually set in until he pulled out his catheter. He was only in the restraints to prevent him from getting out of bed because he hadn't been cleared on C-spine. Even after the pain did set in he wasn't any more cooperative.

They aren't lucky... just damn stupid!

Robin

Thread Information