Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Fireground lighting

I'm interested what department's out there use for portable lighting. I would like to purchase new portable lights to replace our departments older portable lights. Our heavy rescue is equiped with great all purpose general scene lighting, but the truck lacks in portable lights for salvage, MVA spot lighting, Search lighting. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on what to look into? What does your department use? Any information would be a great. help.

There are all kinds of lighting available for the fire ground. You will have to check the catalogs and vendors and see what is there and what will work for your department.

Some departments are using the COMMAND LIGHT (one brand of which is put out by SVI Trucks Division). It offers many different options and will light up the world on an MVA. As far as interior lighting I think the older Junc-a-light is the best. It is the kind you can hang from a door so it is not on the floor and it also has a "power out" receptacle so you can use something else.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Our dept. uses Churchville lights for interior lighting and we put them on tripods for exterior operations where our Will-Burt light towers don`t cover. Chewy
    Lead,Follow or Get out of the way.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

An example of tripod lighting to the rear
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Two 1500 watt floods per side of the rig, two tripod lights attached to 200 foot reels and three 750 portable floods coupled to reels plus a 9000 watt light mast is the basic fleet wide compliment of lighting

An example of minimum standard lighting at a bulk plant fire

We have either 500 or 750 watt lights on both sides of our engines, and the newest rigs have a 750 watt light facing front, a 750 watt rear-mounted tripod (can be used on or off the truck), and a 3000 watt light tower. The best portable lighting we have used is a combination of tripod lights and the above-mentioned Junc-A-Lites (made by Bee Electric in Maryland). They have a 500 watt light, on/off switch, and two receptacles for additional stuff. They're very versatile; you can hang them over ladders, doors, doorknobs, tree branches, or nails; they can lay flat on the ground and tilt up to light the scene; and they have a pilot light on them so you can tell if you've got power even if the light is switched off. We also have two 150' live cord reels per engine to make lighting up inside a building or around an MVA pretty easy. If I could only have one brand/type of portable light, it would be the Junc-A-Lites.
    R.A. Ricciuti
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

Thread Information