Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

Angry HELP! Information on Bogus Charities?!

Does anyone know of an organization called the Disabled Firefighters Association or Firefighters Disablity Association?

A person in South Carolina emailed me and said he received a call from a person from this group stating that they were collecting money for disabled firefighters for the local fire departments. He was slightly taken back by this because he is with the local department and had never heard of this deal. When he asked how long they had been in service and where the money went to, they put him on hold and then they never picked back up again.

I can find no website concerning this group. I am wondering if anyone has heard of this group where factual or fictional and/or if they have struck in there area?

Email me at sconfire@comcast.net or post on this board. Many thanks from the South Carolina Fire Service!

Sincerely,
    Grant Mishoe, Captain
    North Charleston Fire Department
    www.ncfd.org
    www.sconfire.com
    Last edited by sconfire; 04-22-2002 at 03:07 PM.

sconfire,

I have heard of such a company soliciting money for this cause. A friend of mine who is a professional fire fighter in NC said they have been having problems with this company and it has been bringing heat on to thier locals. Apparently they get quite nasty if asked any specific questions. Thier bogus if you ask me.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Angry Scum Bags

Found this article regarding similiar solicitations in
    Arizona.....

http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/NEWSREL/phones.html

JTL

Justr call the Attorney Generals office and ask them. Chuck Condon can help you out.

Angry

This is an old scam that keeps rearing it's ugly head. I once received a call from one of these boiler room operations asking for a donation to the "Disabled Firefighters of Marlborough" fund...I let the guy go on his spiel...he stated that firefighter get nothing but a small pension if they are injured severely enough in the line of duty that they cannot go back to work and that my donation will help a "disabled Marlborough Firefighter" from losing his home. I asked him to name the firefighter that would be the recipient of the donation....of course, he quickly made up a name...then I informed him that there was no such person on the MFD, that I was a member of the MFD and that my next call would be to the Police and the newspaper to report this scam. You never heard a phone hang up so quickly!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

JTL,
    I had already called the AG's office and was invited to meet with Mr. Condon tomorrow at Fire Department Legislative Day in Columbia. I was informed the best route was to call Jim Miles office. They have sent me information and I am now on a fast track. It seems that the "organization" actually is registered in most states. It seems there tactics are what is in question and how much of this money actually goes to firefighters. I will let everyone know of my travels through this part of hell!

Sincerely,
    Grant Mishoe, Captain
    North Charleston Fire Department

JTL

Bset of luck to you!

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Default Go Get Em!

Grant!

Go get em Brother....we wish you nothing but the best!

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF-NGU

Can't recall if I have heard about them before or not...

...but there was someone last month calling around town claiming to be raising funds for my fire department!

Thread Information