Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

yeah, but those leather's are so expensive. I wish i could afford them but us young guys are broke. I know the feet are important, but right now i think the rubber ones will work.
    What does the Bunkroombandit do? Well, honestly, I am not sure myself, but he sure does like to cause trouble.

I've been wearing Warrington Pros for about a year a half too. I love them. The only downside I've heard was from the saleman I bought mine from. He told me any type of Haz-Mat situation like an oil or gas spill will ruin them. I keep a pair of rubbers next to my gear for those calls.
    Marc

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I have a couple pair, but find there are limitations.

1 set Blk. Diamonds, 1 set Goodhue's, both 8" zip up.

Real comfortable and you have good mobility while maintaining ankle support.

Downfall- stepped in some mud holes during calls- ended up with a soaker. Also if drafting from the lake, I get wet before guys do with traditional rubbers that are higher.

Reccommend tall leather slip ons for General duty, 8" zip up for medical and tech rescue calls.

Forum Member

I have always considered getting a pair of leather boots myself. There is only one BIG problem I have. I can get some (at my own expense of course) but the problem is you can't decon leather boots. If you get into any hazmat stuff or diesel or gas or whatever, they are done and you can't keep wearing them. There is no way to get around this issue. I want that level of comfort sure, but I don't want to waste my money on something that I could ruin next tour. Now if we could just talk my dept. into making leather boots standard issue....

Default LaCrosse FireTech

RSQflyer & Sarge,
    All I have to say is LaCrosse FireTech Leather Structural Firefighters Boot, Style 6551 (see photo below)

http://www.lacrosserainfair.com/firetech/6551.html

Very Reliable
    Durable
    Light Weight

We've been wearing these for two years. Fatigue and foot wear has deminished. Fits like a shoe.

Cost: Around $215 (Well Worth It)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fire16Captain; 11-14-2002 at 03:06 PM.

Forum Member

Default Leather boots

For you guys who live in cold weather
    areas. As the mercury falls the rubber
    vibram soles get harder....You might find
    your spending more time slipping than walking.

When the temp drops to -20celcius I
    take out the rubber boots again.The leather
    boots I've been wearing are....8in.zip-up

J.B.Goodhue PRO series.(Made in Canada)

Great boots,great fit,easy to walk,climb
    etc...except in extreme cold the VIBRAM
    sole gets too hard.

P.S. My third pair is still in the box...
    been wearing leather for about 10 yrs.
    Last edited by don120; 12-14-2002 at 06:11 PM.

Default Once you get laethers, you wont go back to rubber.

Ive had leather boots for about ten years now. They are so much more comfortable. The lug sole is wider and and more stable. The boots are generally lighter than rubber. and the pull up style are just a bit shorter than the rubber. After getting mine, they conformed to my feet like any good pair of boots.
    Try this to get a pair though. Visit your local fire schools, or conventions with dealers. Put your hands on the different brands and try them on to make sure you like the way they fit. Some boots fit better than others due to make of the boot.
    Wait until the last day to buy. You can usually Haggle with the dealer to lower the price as he doesnt want to take everything back home. Also, try to convince more people to go in with you when you buy. They will lower the price normally if more than one person buys boots.
    Myself and four others shopped around, and then haggled the dude down to $150.00 from $220.00 on five pairs.
    Good luck, ry

Lightbulb Leather Fire Boots

In reference to leather fire boots--we have a shoe company in the county that i reside in that makes leather fire boots---The cost is much,much LESS than i've seen advirtised(i picked up a pair for around $125.00 dollars) If i can help anybody out--i'll see what i can do for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can't agree more on the leather over rubber debate. Other then a few draw backs (the haz-mat issues, cost), if you take care of them you will make out in the long run. Biggest problem I've had or seen is damage to the leather over the toes. But,there's always a solution.

I've found a local shoe repair store here near me which has a good repore through Warrington Pro, and does excellent repair work. The cost of work depends on the nature of repair. Resoles(done right, by mfg spec)in the $40-$60 range, leather repair and stitching work in the $10-$20 range vs buying a new pair.... catch my drift?

Shoe Tech Shoe Repair 302-656-0405
    111 W. 9th Street
    Wilmington, DE

MembersZone Subscriber

It was a sad day when the London Fire Brigade went from leather to rubber boots, a couple of hours was enough to cause huge blisters . I am told that now the Brigade has gone back to leather, but this is not confirmed. Here in Los Alamos we have the rubber boots, I not sure our department would sanction us buying our own boots, but if they would then I would sure opt for leather. As for keeping the boots clean, supple and waterproof, all I ever used was black "Kiwi" boot polish. I would work the polish into the seams and welts with an old toothbrush and leave for a day, then brush the rest of the boot. never ever had any leakage problems after that.

Thumbs up Leather Bunker Boots

I am an Lieut. on an Engine Co. and I personally love my pair of leather boots. They are ten times more comfortable than the traditional rubber boot. They make it great to work in a structure fire and protect your feet exponentually. Some down sides to these boots are the price. They tend to run more expensive than rubber boots, but you know what they say, "you pay for the quallity." Another side effect is salvage. If you respond to salvage some times including sewage water in basements the sewage water is hard to get out and soaks in the leather on some occacions. Also if in the situation you can not Decon leather boots so once you wear them into a Haz Mat enviroment they are shot. So for Structural Firefighting they are the ticket, or the "cats ***" to say, but now of days we dont just respond to structure fires though.

Lieutenant Derek Secrist
    Southwest Greensburg Fire Dept

www.swgfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up LEATHER BOOTS

Will never wear another pair of rubber boots again. I've had my Warringtons for 3 years with no leaks and still goin strong.

Our department went to these boots last year, most people like them. There are a few problems though. The calf in leather boots tend to be small. Several of us can not fit the boot onto our calves, especially with jeans on. We had to get special boots and some of us still have rubber ones because of this.
    Just wanted to give you a heads up that any one boot you find may not fit everybody.

Smile Leathers

I absolutely love my leathers
    I had those stinky rubbers and ouch - did my feet hurt and I had blisters(I know that's gross, but true)

Have had NO PROBLEMS with the leathers

I have Thorogood's

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Leather Boots

Hello All, Got a few questions for you about the Leather Boot thing.
    1st-- Can the boots be worn by say a haz-mat team, are they going to become contaminated easily?

2nd-- What kind of lifespan can someone expect from them? Are they going to wearout quickly or are they in for the long haul??

Thanks for the info.....

Remember life is what you make it.....
    Last edited by firenginer; 03-13-2003 at 08:56 PM.

Default Yes...Leather boots

After years of wearing rubber boots...wow...what a difference. My dept. started buying leather boots for us last year after a lot of asking. A lot of guys had already purchased their own, and now I can see why. During extended operations of any kind, and especially when you are doing any technical work (roofs etc...) they can't be beat. The only downfall we have seen with the 3-4 different models our guys have is the straps on the side tearing, which has happened to a couple of pair. The comfort is well worth the price.

Thumbs up

My fire department has been using leather fire boots for the last 5-7 years. We first started with Ranger, then went to CrossTech, on to Servus, and finally we have been satisfied with Warrington Pro's. Be careful when you choose the manufacturer...the toes of leather boots that are pointed instead of rounded at the end tend to wear very quickly. I would suggest Warrington Pro's...even though they tend to be expensive. Once you switch to Leather Boots, you'll never go back! Good Luck.

Forum Member

Having been issued leather boots at a previous department that I worked for, I have been able to experience rubber and leather. Pro's for leather are consistent with most anyone that you'll talk to. The comfort is outstanding because they really develope a fit for the contour of your foot. However, definately try a few pairs on before deciding on a pair, and don't buy a pair for the solely because they're a good deal. A few cons that come to mind are the pull straps tending to break, the boots stretch over time (generally years), and finally, the hazmaterials contamination is higher vs. that of rubber boots. As any PPE will, especially standard issued structural firefighting gear, they can be ruined if exposed. I would not opt to use leather for dedicated hazmat use, but for operations level, I never had a problem with them. The average lifespan, like other PPE, depends on how they're used, how often that you use them, and how abusive you are handling them. I am working for a department now that issues rubber boots, and I really can't afford to buy leather boots right now, but again someday I will be back in a pair. Good luck!

Thumbs up

AFTER USING RUBBER BOOTS MOST OF MY CAREER, 17 YEARS, I FINALLY SWITCHED TO LEATHER BOOTS. WHAT AN IDIOT I'VE BEEN, THERES A BIG DIFFERENCE RUNNING UP 7 FLIGHTS OF STAIRS IN LEATHER BOOTS COMPARED TO THOSE HEAVY ASSED RUBBER BOOTS!!... STILL KICKING MYSELF FOR THAT.. LOL

BE SAFE.. AND STAY LOW!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Leather FF Boots

I am currently wearing a pair of leather boots (HAIX), i really like them. it is cold here in the winter and my feet are warm in them. they tend to feel like a regular work boot. a fellow co-worker said "if a guys feet are comfortable you will get more work from them."

Thread Information