Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Leather firefighting boots

I am the officer in charge of R & D for my dept., and I am trying to make the big push for leather firefighting boots. I would like any and all information that any brother would like to share with me. Please send your responses to me at the following address.
    Thank you all for any assistance
    Rich Posner, A/Lt.
    Lauderhill Fire/Rescue
    RSQflyer@aol.com

Forum Member

We have to buy our own gear, I would like to get some leather boots; however, they are on the expensive side, are they not?
    Peter H. Davies

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan's Avatar

Default re: Leather Fireboots

The company I ride with have been using them for about 4 years now and have found them to be excelant. They are much more flexable, not to mention lighter weight, and makes you feel more secure when you are working (esp. on the roof). A couple of cautions though, first make sure you have them fitted by a dealer (because they like many boots they don't fit the same as shoe size). Second, buy some kind of over-shoe, because they can take a beating during training. Third, keep shoe polish on hand, it will keep them conditioned.
    "Never mistake knowledge for intelligence; it is like mistaking a cup of milk for an entire cow."-Thomas Jefferson

I.A.C.O.J. Member and F.A.R.T.'s local 4 founding member

Mama said she only raised one fool.....Hey wait a minute I'm an ONLY CHILD???

Our brigade has just issued us with leather boots. The general opinion is we like them. They are very tough and comfortably. The only comment I can make on them is if you dont look after them, they tend to leak a little as the leather becomes porous. Other than that they are very good. I do believe they cost our brigade around £70 UK pounds a pair.

Default leather boots

I've wore about every brand of rubber 3/4 length's (that would make em big enough for me) since I got into the service in 1976 and in the last three years my career Department opted for Warrington Pro's...

I wear a size 16 and Warrington hopped on the band wagon as others have in the past, and I am very happy with them, I opted for a pair of zip ups rather then pull ons because some guys mention they loosen as they stretch (dry) and get tight when wet... I have not had any problems though I do want to try a pair of pull ons

I think the biggest issue is to opt for a "vibram® sole" for the extra traction it provides , 'specially, if you deal with snow on the rooves... and I Use a product on (ALL) my leather boots called "sno seal®" which is based in bees wax, it waterproofs better then anything on the market and protects the hide and it literally soaks into the leather seals stitching and joints just fine, preserving and softening....when they get dry and crusty. I work in one of the three larger Connecticut cities so they get a pretty good workout...
    I'll only wear rubber during the rainy season now,,,,

(I have two pairs of regular boots work boots and hiking,
    that I wear for side jobs that are 15and 20 years old, both been resoled the uppers have always been sno sealed, the work boots have seen lots of home heating oil deliveries and salt water from lobsterin, and the 3rd set of soles..lol)

Smile

My dept has had leather boots for about 4 years now. The biggest problem that we have found is that the "reinforcing" material over the steel toes frays frequently. We have been sending them back to have them repaired and reinforced. Otherwise, they are much more comfortable and seem to have a better tread on the bottom which really helps on roofs and when it is icy outside.

MembersZone Subscriber truck6alpha's Avatar

Yeah, I've seen that reinforcing fray also. I've been eyeing a pair and trying to defend purchasing a set to my wife. She says, "what's wrong with the ones the department issued you?" How are you supposed to answer that?
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

I have a pair of Black Diamond full length leather bunker boots. You can get them for about $250. I am absolutely in love with them. After wearing rubber boots, they are like having sneakers on. Like was said before, all you have to do is show them a little love and they'll love you back.

And Captain...tell your wife that that a fireman with comfy feet is a happy fireman. How could any woman possibly stand in the way of her man's happiness? (Sarcasm if nobody caught it)
    Iceman, FF/AEMT-CC
    In Memory of our fallen brothers - September 11, 2001

MembersZone Subscriber

I personnally bought my first pair of Warrington Pro leather Turn out boots about 6 years ago. They are the best boots I've used. Extremely comfortble & light compared to the old rubbers I had. They do take a beating. I water proof them twice a year and when I get the time I try to polish them at a minimum of monthly.
    My Department just purchased the Brothers a set of Leather Boots over the last year. My department issued ones I just got are still in the box because the ones I have currently are still in excellent condition. I may set up some sort of rotation between the two pairs.
    As for price they usually go for about $220 give or take a few dollars depending on the manufacturer.
    The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little time.

Default Leather Turnout Boots

Our department has used leather boots since 1997. The difference between leather verses rubber boots is uncomparable. Leather boots are more durable, flexable, puncture resistant, lighter and has lessend ankle/foot injuries in addition to being more comfortable with a much greater fit. Should you have any additional comments or questions please feel free to contact our department.

Bellaire Fire Department
    Chief, Mike Wallace
    Phone: (740)676-5880
    E-mail: bellcent@aol.com

Forum Member

Default Leather fireboots

We were issued leather fireboots in London (UK) a number of years ago, and most of us preferred them, finding the boots more comfortable and much easier on our feet, especially during protracted operations, however the London Fire Brigade suddenly realised that they were not compatible with wearing chemical protection suits, and that firefighters designated as CPS wearers either had to carry rubber boots to use instead of leathers, or for that shift, use rubber boots. Also, as someone has mentioned, boot polish is a definite, preferably in large quantities! Apprat from that minor problem, I personally think they are much better than rubber

Default several people have asked, so

quite a few peopel have asked me about the product I use On my boots, to protect and presearve them so... ITs called SNO-SEAL its a bees wax based (non smelly animal product) that is best applyed to a warmed, clean, dry leather... I have gooped it on, without even brushing the "dirt" off and I have found it made the application cloth dirty, while making the boots comeback like new... its an excellant water proofing have stepped in many slushy puddles in winter and stayed dry...
    SNO-SEAL® is made by Atsko Inc. orangeburg S.C 29115
    I usually find it in most sportman's type stores
    LLbean, Cabela's etc. as well as Ski shops etc.. I dont often find it in the cataloges but they usually have it shelf stocked call and ask... I found 7 oz can for around 6 dollars US, but after using it YOu will swear BY it I find I do my Warringtons about once every 3 months, I dont polish them just goop it on the "weak spots and stiching and let it soak in and dry naturally (about an hour and to the touch in a half a day) its bees wax so who cares ?
    I use it as I said
    on everything leather, it would darken a light leather as much as getting them wet would and shouldnt be used on nappy suedes if you want em to remain nappy ... but if you want em to stay dry.. lol
    "putting wet stuff on the red stuff over 25 years"

Cool BOOTS

I HAVE A PAIR OF LEATHER BOOTS AND I WILL NEVER WEAR ANYTHING DIFFERENT. MY DEPT WAS BUYING NEW TURNOUT GEAR & THEY ALLOWED US TO UPGRADE OUR BOOTS AT OUR EXPENSE WHICH I DID. THEY ARE THE MOST COMFORTABLE BOOTS I HAVE EVER WORN.

Lightbulb

I'm reading this 'bout these leather boots, and I'm liking it!

What is the ave. cost, and a good brand to start out with?

I'll probably have to purchase my own, but I want something lighter than the Servus I'm currently wearing.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan's Avatar

Well sergeant125, the average cost is probably around $200-$250 depending on the brand. Warrington Pro's seam to be the most popular, I personally use them and have totally enjoyed them. They broke in real easy and with alittle TLC (aka. cleaning and shoe pollish) they have lasted a couple of years now. The only thing that I would caution you about is buy some kind of over shoe for them, especially if you use them in a concrete training tower because they don't like to be draged over cement alot.
    Last edited by Halligan; 08-21-2002 at 01:30 AM.
    "Never mistake knowledge for intelligence; it is like mistaking a cup of milk for an entire cow."-Thomas Jefferson

I.A.C.O.J. Member and F.A.R.T.'s local 4 founding member

Mama said she only raised one fool.....Hey wait a minute I'm an ONLY CHILD???

Default ohhh important point that has been mentioned before

Sarge , In My Department, one reason Warringtons won out over other tested models is the soles, my Warringtons have an aggressive vibram sole, while other shoes have less agressive patterns, it has been an issue on iced up or snowy surfaces and in other slick conditions. They have remained water resistant and with care will last a long time

Wore rubber boots for over 20 yrs and finally went to leather. Won't go back. The leathers are far more comfortable in every environment so far. I recommend the Black Diamond brand ( http://fire-end.com/boots6.html ) at that link. Make sure you size them PERFECTLY this way you ensure your own comfort. Don't just buy bulk Whole sizes. Measure !

fraternally, JW
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

Default point made that I should have grabbed too

no matter what brand you purchase I agree do it through a good rep that will measure all the feet... properly. For the most part of the 340+ members of my job there was a Bit of swapping about done, but no where near what is typical of rubber boots... the folks with one foot a half size larger didnt seem to have as many problems as with rubber boots.. (variations) so that is a good point... My experiance is with Warrington Pro's

I just received 2 pairs this week for the big chiefs.Warrington -pro 4000 and in Canada they run around the $400.00 mark. One day i will get some for myself.

Thumbs up

Our department is in transition to leather boots. About 2/3 of our fireman have them now, and have had nothing but great things to say about them. We have the Black Dimonds and they are so much better than rubber boots, b/c of flexability and comfortabilty.
    Wes Kirkpatrick
    Amory Fire Dept.
    Firefighter

Thread Information