Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Floating Dock vs. Barrel Strainer

Anyone done any testing on floating dock strainers vs. barrel strainers? What flow results did you get?

Anyone using the Turbodraft? Comments? Any flow testing results with that?

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Zico floating strainer will attain 2280 gpm with one 6 inch suction, the longer and the larger diameter barrel strainer works best 8 inch diameter is my choice.

Tuor drafts, 880 (medium) or 1600 gpm (large) for one of course yo can always use 2, 3, 4 or 5 at once.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ok, I can't answer the second question about flow rates, I don't think we have ever tested for that.

So here is the main answer to you question. We use float docks for most of our draughting and like them very much. Our main water supplies are from lakes and ponds, so allowing the suction to come from the bottom is an invitation for particulates to get into the pump system. All our strainers have screens on them, but those can clog up too. Using the float dock is quick, simple and it is less awkward to use as well, weighs a whole lot less than the 6" barrel strainer we have for the engine.

As with most tools and equipment though, it would come down to a matter of choice and preferance. Ours is to use the float dock, but I am sure that there are many who would prefer the barrel strainer.

We have considered trying out the turbodraft, but that is a pretty big expense for something that we haven't played with first.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

This is a test between a floating strainer and a box strainer with a foam can float.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by quintladder; 04-23-2002 at 11:32 AM.

Yeah $2800 buck U.S. ($7,954,345,000.12 Canadian) is a lot to pay, but then againlike this photos shows can you draft and supply a master stream 300 feet from a pond without one? And do it in just 46 seconds with two firefighters?

The Zico straier in use

The use of the strainer is critical to its use, floating strainers, box or barrel are not good choices for rural water supply from a drop tank. Evertytime a tanker dumps into the first tank you could loose prime. Here you can see two bad choices in use, a low lift strainer is the best choice or a turbo draft in this application.

If your dump tanks that low even a floater going to give you problems.Set up a tank farm with jets and put a pump operator that knows what's going on on it.Floaters don't work good on a windy day on a lake and I prefer a modified box in my dump tank.That's just me,I don't care what you do but hydrants aren't something we have a lot of.T.C.

Anybody heard of tiein' an EMPTY 5 gal. jug to the end of a strainer with a "what-ever-depth-U-want-2-keep-it-at" length of rope???

U can "float" your strainer at whatever debth U want 2. As for "drop tanks", use a bottom strainer. Dump all U want, . . . a clean tank, water already cleared through a pumper, no "particulate" needs here.

Just my personal $1.25 cents worth, though.
    PEACE, out.

Lightbulb

Our department uses the following:

(1) For drafting from a portable dump tank, we use Ken-Mar low level strainers. We've tried other manufacturers, but none work as well as these.

(2) For drafting from a static source such as a pond, we use lightweight suction hose with a barrel strainer. We have a custom built diamond treadplate float, which is hollow on the inside and floats. A chain is attached to a recessed eyelet in the center of the float and has a hook on the end to attach to the barrel strainer. This suspends the strainer one foot below the water. This keeps it off of the bottom so debris intake is minimal, and the surface area of the float prevents whirlpooling if you are pumping hard. We feel this is better than the pivoting floating dock because it allows intake of water on all sides of the strainer at all times.

Thread Information