Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Need info--please help

We're working on a new "compensation plan" for our department. The city has hired a consultant to work with a committee from our fire department to help us come up with solutions to some fairly complex compensation problems that have emerged since we combined the fire department and the e.m.s. department (both fully paid.)

We're (the fire department administration and the union are working together on this) proposing a "pay supplement" for our officers that achieve Paramedic certification (Lieutenants through Deputy Chief.) Currently, only Firefighters and Lieutenants are compensated for having a Paramedic certification. The consultant is balking at this, and is telling us that they don't see much value in an officer having Paramedic certification beyond the Captain's rank.

We've been asked to do a survey of other Departments (what are we paying the consultants for?????---go figure), and my question is this:

"Does your Department "pay" officers for Paramedic certification? If so, how much and through what rank?

Please include the name of your Department, if possible, and feel free to include any other information that you deem pertinent.

Thanking you in advance for (hopefully) your replies.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

We pay up through Captain. I lost mine when I got promoted to Asst. Chief, but I still occasionally do the medic thing when everybody is out on other calls, and they need a medic. And that's happening a lot any more.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

In my humble opinion...the answer is yes....

If the person is required to maintain his/her certification as part of the promotional and or contract agreement with the city.

If the person will be in command of personnel using the skills at the company officer level or as the the IC, for he/she is ultimately responsible for what happens on their watch!

If there is even the remote possibility of them having to treat patients in the field, ie., a mass casualty incident..

I guess that covers the bases for you...tell your consultant that Steamer and I will be expecting our percentage for our expertise!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Default Woo Hoo!!

Works for me!!
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

JTL

I would agree with Gonzo on this. In light of mass casualties that we have seen every member may be called upon to perform duties not otherwise specified for that particular rank. STrip the rank and you still have a firefighter. Compensation is due.

I appreciate the input so far. We also feel strongly that compensation is due in the officer ranks for Paramedic certification. It seems logical to us that an officer can supervise Paramedics better (especially in the area of quality assurance) if they hold the certification themselves.

What's going to win this for us is a list of other fire departments that pay officers for the Paramedic certification. Hopefully, others will reply. Thanks again.

In our Department we recieve $1000 regaurdless of rank for EMT-P and we also recieve Educational pay of $250 for a certificate has well. Anyone that is willing to put the time and effort into this amount of training should be compensated. You never know when those skills may come in handy. Plus Its nice to have the people who supervise us know a little about what we are doing to a patient......Captains and Chiefs sometimes come in handy too
    Last edited by Ltmdepas3280; 04-24-2002 at 09:05 AM.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Try to negotiate a percentage based paramedic compensation plan. For instance, my department provides paramedic first response (EMS is a third service). Bargaining unit employees receive 2.5% for EMT-Intermediate certification and 5% for EMT-Paramedic certification or Paramedic Licsensure. The theory behind it is that when an employee moves up in the ranks, his/her EMS compensation increases. The percentages are added to base pay. Currently exempt employees (those not in the bargaining unit) are compensated for their higher levels of EMS certification, but there is no consistant dollar amount. Good luck.

FireCapt1,
    As far as I know our city compensates us all the way to and including battalion chief. Our department has only ran paramedics now for about 3yrs. now so needless to say we don't have any Lts.,Capts. or BC that are paramedics. Here is a break down of our departments "speciality pay"

Paramedic -- $2000 yr.
    Haz-Mat Tech.-- $1500 yr.
    Cert. Driver Operator -- $500 yr.
    Fitness Cordinator -- $500 yr.
    SCBA -- $500 yr.

Hopefully this is what you were looking for. Take care and if you have any questions feel free to drop me an E-mail.

STAY SAFE !!

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

I'M FROM RHODE ISLAND WHER WE HAVE THE UNIQUE LEVEL OF EMT-CARDIAC, WHICH IS MUCH LIKE A PARAMEDIC, BUT DOESN'T HAVE AS MUCH TRAINING, DIDACTIC,AND NO CLINICAL. THIS IS THE ACCEPTED LEVEL OF ALS FOR THE STATE. IN MY DEPARTMENT, EMT-B'S GET $10.00 AND EMT -C'S AND P'S GET $50.00 PER PAY PERIOD REGARDLESS OF RANK. IF YOU HAVE TO PERFORM THE SKILLS AND HAVE THE CERT, THEN YOU SHOULD BE PAID FOR IT.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber Rescue21D's Avatar

We add 5% of a first grade firefighters base pay to everyone in the bargaining unit that is a paramedic. This goes for OT, holidays and when we are not on the ambulance or med car. Basic EMT's get an extra $2 per hour only when they are assigned to the ambulance.

All of our members that hold a valid ticket are compensated $40.00 per month regardless of rank. It is a job requirement to have it. You could also argue that the citizens benefit from having all of your members being certified because I am sure that I am not the only one that has had to render aid on my off-time...

If you would like more information feel free to e-mail me.
    These are my views and opinions and do not reflect any of my affiliations.

Our Dept. pays about $2,000 annually for a medic cert. all the way up to the rank of Chief of the dept. Regardless of one's rank, they still went to the school and achieved a cert. However, if you hold the cert. in our dept. you must be willing to use it if your needed!
    Take Care & Be Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

In Phoenix, you can keep your certification and recieve the pay as a Captain. For info on our current pay ranges visit:

http://phoenix.gov/JOBSPECS/findex.html

Thread Information