Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Appartus setup

Default Appartus setup

I am a firefighter for the City of Laerence in Indianapolis, Indiana. We have come across a unique opportunity to make equipment changes on our engine. Currently we have a multi-task engine that is equipped with Hurst Tools, chain saws, tarps, fans, and other tool not required for a Class A Pumper. We are looking for ideas from departments around the country, basic setup (equipment and tools) any input would be appreciated. Please include in your response, the area (suburb, inner city, urban, airport, ect.)you're from, type of setup that you have. This information would be helpful and greatly appreciated as we adapt our engines become just that.."engines". Thanks you for your time and above all, Be Safe.

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

I AM ON A 103 MEMBER CAREER DEPT. THAT IS A SUBURB OF PROVIDENCE BUT IS URBAN ITSELF. WE HAVE JUST YOUR BASIC ENGINE STUFF ON OUR ENGINES.
    OUR TRUCK IS SET UP LIKE A RESCUE LADDER. WE HAVE ALL THE GOODIES ON THE TRUCK, HURST TOOL, ROPES, TORCH,SPECIAL TOOLS ETC. WE ARE GETTING A HEAVY RESCUE IN THE FUTURE WHICH WILL ALLEVIATE THE NEED TO OVERLOAD
    THE TRUCK CO. WHAT YOU DESCRIBE TO ME WAS A RESCUE PUMPER. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT CONCEPT. YOU DIDN'T SAY WHETHER YOU HAD ANOTHER PIECE OF APPARATUS TO PUT THIS EQUIPMENT ON THAT WILL GOES OUT STAFFED. THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT. IF YOU NEED THE EQUIPMENT, WILL IT GET THERE? IF YOU KEEP THE EQUIPMENT ON THE ENGINE,
    ARRANGE IT SO WILL CAN BE ACCESSED EASILY. EXAMPLE: HURST TOOL, IN THE REAR COMPARTMENT SO WHEN YOU PULL UP TO SCENE YOU CAN WORK OFF THE TRUCK INSTEAD OF LUGGING IT AROUND. ARRANGE THE MOST USED EQUIPMENT; HAND TOOLS, HIGH RISE PACK, WATER CANS ETC. CLOSER TO THE
    FRONT OF THE BODY FOR EASY AND QUICK DEPLOYMENT, AND PUT THE OTHER EQUIPMENT TOWARDS THE REAR. YOU KNOW YOUR NEEDS AND WHAT TYPE TRUCK YOU HAVE. JUST KEEP IN MIND THE NEED TO GET THE EQUIPMENT TO THE SCENE QUICKLY AND BEST WAY TO DEPLOY. GOOD LUCK!
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

We cover about 13 sq miles of unincorporated Harris County, with a population of 50,000+. Mostly single family houses and apartment complexes with some commercial. 95% of our area has hydrants and we ran 1550 calls last year. We run 4 engines, 1 ladder, 1 heavy rescue and 2 light rescue/equipment trucks out of 3 stations.

Our engines carry a lot of extra equipment. In addition to about 3000 ft of hose (1",1.75",2",3" & 5" LDH), each engine carries: Thermal Imager, EMS gear & backboard, AED (2 engines), gas PPV fan, chainsaw, portable Generator/Light, 3-4 ground ladders, 4-6 pike poles, 2-3 salvage covers, numerous hand tools, LDH manifold.

Our ladder truck carries about 2500 ft of hose, a chainsaw, rescue saw, electric PPV fan, high rise packs, EMS gear, portable lights, 10 salvage covers, ground ladders, numerous hand tools, 7 pike poles, LDH manifold.

Heavy Rescue: 2 sets of rescue tools/airbags/cribbing, stokes basket, 2 portable generator/lights, gas PPV fan, 2 electric PPV fans, 10 salvage covers, HazMat gear, EMS Gear & backboard, AED, cascade system, ground ladder, numerous hand tools, chainsaw, rescue saw, High angle rescue gear, additional foam/emulsifier (tot 70 gal), oil dry, decon shower, portable lights.

Light rescue/equipment trucks: 1 set of rescue tools, additional cribbing, 3 ground ladders, electric PPV fan, generator, 3-4 pike poles, salvage covers, chainsaw, portable lights, EMS gear & backboard, AED.

As you can see, our engines carry a lot of extra stuff. With the exception of rescue tools & HazMAt stuff, one engine can usually handle anything short of a working structure fire by itself. In this area, there aren't real divisions between "engine" work and "truck" work. Most engines carry forcible entry tools and saws for ventilation. Fireground assignments are usually given to crews without regard to what type of apparatus they came on. All crews are expected to be able to handle any type of assignment.

It sound like you want to "lighten" your engines. Thats fine, as long as you have another unit responding that carries the rest the stuff. Houston FD seperates their engine and truck crews by giving them specific responsibilities and equipment. I have seen many occasions where an engine responds to a call and has to request a ladder truck just for the PPV fan.

I like the saying: "Its better to have and not need, than to need and not have".

Default GPS

We have started using a hand held GPS unit, in a rural volunteer fire brigade that responds mainly to MVA.

Has not been needed YET, but for case-vac by helicopter or bush fires will make location easier and safer.

These units do not take up a lot of space.

Any one else using them?

we have a special operations truck that caries wood,haz-mat,cutting tools, handheld tools, filling tanks for SCBA, tarps, light tower on top of truck.shovles, rake, broom. its like a big tool box
    Jeff Gurski

Thread Information