FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Until recently an FD in an unnamed locale near me started new full-timers at $5.90/hr. Yep.

And keep in mind that marvelous-sounding salary at FDNY (relative to $5.90/hr, that is) is in a city where a fish sandwich at the clown's restaurant will run you, what, $4? Cost of living in NYC is ugly.

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by EastKyFF
    in a city where a fish sandwich at the clown's restaurant will run you, what, $4? Cost of living in NYC is ugly.
    Why do you think Clemens needs over $15 million?!? Those darn sandwiches add up quickly...

Forum Member

Well up here in Connecticut the cost of living is very high too. My dept. starts at $45,000 give or take a few cents. Top step is pushing $60,000. (it takes 4 years to hit top step) Then add overtime.

I would say the average firefighter in Connecticut makes between $50,000 - $70,000 a year including overtime.

This may sound nice but consider the average household income in this area is among the highest in the country. Also consider that this is a 42 hour week. Some areas of the country work 70+ hours a week.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

JTL

WOW - $5.40 and hour? In SC you would be a chief

On a serious note it has always been throughout history that those willing to sacrifice themselves are paid next to nothing. What the average firefighter call a "good" salary is a pittance to those who work in entertainment, etc. It is sad when a hollywood star makes more for being "shot" at with blanks than the soldier who is shot at with the real thing.

Forum Member

The salaries of sports stars are just a fraction of what they get... an expense account for meals and whatnot when they are playing on the road, 1st class air travel all over the United States, the best hotels, beautiful women fawning over them, multi-million dollar endorsements and lots of free stuff that would cost us a fortune...

In my humble opinion, the salaries should be reversed, based on the risk! We are worth it, my Brothers and Sisters!!!!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

The one thing that sticks out most in the deal between the NBA and its players is the establishment of maximum salaries. Raising minimum salaries and creating new exceptions to the salary cap and whatever other concessions the owners had to make to get it should prove well worth it.

In the first year of the deal, players with 0-5 years of experience can earn a maximum starting salary of $9 million; those with 6-9 years experience can earn a maximum of $11 million; and those with 10 or more years can earn as much as$14 million. Those numbers increase each year of the six years of the agreement.

Minimum salaries. They have been increased and are now based on experience. Last season the minimum salary was $272,250 for everyone. This season, a player in his second year is guaranteed $350,000 with increases for each year of experience. A player in his 11th year gets $1million.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quarterbacks Player Salary
    Brett Favre $7.50
    Steve McNair $3.70
    Peyton Manning $3.20
    Gus Frerotte $3.20
    Kerry Collins $2.60
    Drew Bledsoe $2.50

Running Backs Player Salary
    Marshall Faulk $13.20
    Curtis Martin $11.90
    Terrell Davis $11.50
    Jamal Anderson $10.00
    Ricky Watters $7.20
    Robert Smith $7.00
    Emmitt Smith $6.30

Wide Receivers Player Salary
    Isaac Bruce $11.50
    Marvin Harrison $11.00
    Michael Westbrook $10.30
    Cris Carter $10.10
    Antonio Freeman $9.50
    Tim Brown $7.00

Kickers Player Salary
    Jason Hanson $2.30
    Sebastian Janikowski $1.00
    Ryan Longwell $1.00
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

I find it discusting how those who "entertain" us can get payed millions of dolars a year, yet those who put there lives on the line every day of their lives (firefighters, military, and police officers)get paid just above the poverty level in some cases. Sure, some of these "entertainers" give a portion of their salaries to charity or other things, but they still make atleast a million dollars a year, alot more than I feel they should make. I recieved an email about an editorial from one of the actresses from Laverne and Shirley. She stated that military personell made too much money. A soldier wrote her back and asked how she could say that about people who didn't think twice about saving lives or missing holidays and meals, while she sat back in a nice mansion, with plenty of money for the rest of her life. I'll stop rambling on and say, What's wrong with our society that they pay millions of dollars to "entertainers" and barely enough to get by to the real HEROES.

Megan

Forum Member

Capt. Gonzo - You mean you don't have women fawning all over you in your turnout gear? I think you should negotiate it into your next contract. Set a precedent for the rest of us.

Anyway, think about this.......

These specimens of athletic prowess get paid these insane amounts because people go to games and watch them on TV. In the Boston Herald a few weeks ago it came out that it costs a family of 4 to go to Fenway Park and see the Sox lose $250. Not to sound bitter and cynical but these people only make this money because people go and see these games or watch them on TV. If it really gets you about their salaries, don't contribute to them. I know this is unrealistic but I have lost my cookies today (chocolate chip I think) and just have to say this. I do think it is rediculous that these people get such stupid salaries every year. People lose interest in the sports because it is just too expensive to go and see them play. Unfortunately, it's not about the game anymore, it's about the money. I would much rather go and see a high school game wehre teh kids are out there for the joy and fun of playing and griping that they aren't appreciated enough or crying that they don't make enough. Cry me a river Mo, Manny, Drew, and the rest of you. Go work for a living will you?

OK. I think I found a few crumbs, I'll try to resume "normalcy" now.

Oh look. A chocolate chip too.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

YOU MEAN THAT SOME OF YOU GET PAID FOR ALL THIS!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding folks. Although I am a volunteer I appreciate what all you paid people have done and still do in your towns. I agree that you all should be paid on a scale of what some one is having fun doing is getting,not that you all aren't having fun sometimes, but your job is a hell of a lot more dangerous than getting hit by the Rocket while your up to the plate.

Keep Doing It For The Right Reasons!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default fire salaries

Forgive me for going off on a rant but don't compare apples and oranges. Let's not try to relate to other occupations. What is the total # of major league ballplayers compared to firefighters? It's a pretty exclusive club and they are paid partially as a result of the crowds they draw to the ballparks (except in Montreal-the players would be giving some back!)

Last I knew, nobody was paying anything to view a dumpster fire at 3 AM. Since firefighting is pretty much a non-spectator sport the ticket money doesn't come in to the equation.

Paid firefighters are paid by taxes in one way or the other. The salary is the value that the elected representatives have put on the service provided. An example-a small town fire department responds to an average of eight structure fires a year with a total damage of $600,000. Salaries for firefighters (three shifts X 8 firefighters and officers) an asst. chief and a chief total $780,000 plus vehicle depreciation, building expense etc. Some may say it is cheaper to have no fire department and write a check to someone who loses a building due to fire. The city would save over $180,000 yearly!

Of course the financial value of a fire department is much higher because of the threat of a conflagration or loss of life if nobody responds to fires-but it shows you how the bean-counters think when they look at salaries.

In Texas it varies extensively by locale-in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex rookies in the fire academy start at about $34,000 a year. In south Texas, firefighters may start at $22,000 annually. It's really hard to compare department to department when the risk is the same. If money was all it was about, firefighters would flee low paying departments and rush to the money. This isn't happening, so it is other factors that keep firefighters from moving. Locale, proximity of relatives, the "home-town" factor, all may present valid reasons to stay with a low paying department.

So forgive the length of this message, but there will always be a disparity in firefighter salaries because there are just too many factors that affect the pay rate. If money is that important to you, then by all means move on to the higher paying departments. If you are happy with where you live and who you work with and your working conditions, then do what you can do locally to get the salaries increased or suck it up and make do with what you get.

The only solution to the inequities of pay between departments would be the federalization of the fire service-and I am sure the set salary would be lower across the board than any of us would want because they would take an average to arrive at a payscale. I don't think we want that.

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by Da Sharkie
    These specimens of athletic prowess get paid these insane amounts because people go to games and watch them on TV. In the Boston Herald a few weeks ago it came out that it costs a family of 4 to go to Fenway Park and see the Sox lose $250.
    Why don't we equip all FD's with portable bleachers and start charging admission to watch us in action? Some FD's can even purchase rows of chairs for those willing to pay a higher price of admission. We can even put some 5ft away from the building and have our "ring side" seats!

Disillusioned Subscriber

Don't forget concessions and souvenirs!

In all seriousness, I don't worry about what others are paid, as long as my pay is competitive. I'm not starving by any means, I have a nice home, I've raised 3 kids, 2 are out of college, and one is a Senior in college this fall. I am not debt ridden, but I knew what this was going to cost me, and I've worked on my off days my entire career. I knew what I was going to be paid when I put in my application, so I'll live with it. That's not to say that I won't gripe during negotiation time.

I can't hit a curve ball anymore , but I'll just about bet you that Junior Griffey can't run a fire scene. He's paid A LOT more than I'll ever make in several lifetimes, but you know what? I wouldn't trade a day with him for what I do. I'm being well paid to do a job that I absolutely love. I've also got a second family what I would go to war over. I know what I do is worth a lot more, but I know that I'm not going to make what these athletes make, as well.

I recently received a thank you letter from one of our "service recipients". We didn't do anything important or special in the grand scheme of things, but it was important to that family.

In that small space of time, I was the best paid guy in the world.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

District Chief

Unhappy Mind boggling

I dont care what Richard says....I agree that it is ridiculous what Firefighters are paid in comparison to athletes. Come on.... 5 million a year for some of these guys. Sure they work out year round, but they play from August to January with off days after games and bye weeks...and if they are lucky they play the month of January. They report to practice in June. So that is a maximum of 8 months.... Their travel and lodging and meals are paid for...

While I am not suggesting we as firefighters receive the same money...I am suggesting a bit more pay for what we do on a daily basis. Some of the money our folks are paid is a joke. Perhaps it does relate to the value the governing body puts on the service...but..then we need to educate them.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Well in my city, it is a spectator activity. It's rather funny that 60-70 people are awake and watching us at 3 or 4 AM. They call it ghetto entertainment with free admission to all. At least they tip their 40 ouncers (I meant to say hats)to us.
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 04-24-2002 at 09:22 PM.

Forum Member

Default Let them eat cake

I think most of you will be familiar with this little biblical snippet:
    "It would be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter in to the kingdom of heaven."

Stay Humble.
    Let them have their fame and money.
    The salary supports me and mine just fine. I've never felt a need to indulge in drugs, or sleeping around, and the job gives daily satisfaction.

I'll take that over money and fame any day.
    See You At The Big One

Forum Member

What are ya gonna do, eat it???

"You can't take it with you."

Great play, too...

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by FF19CSC
    I recieved an email about an editorial from one of the actresses from Laverne and Shirley. She stated that military personell made too much money. A soldier wrote her back and asked how she could say that about people who didn't think twice about saving lives or missing holidays and meals, while she sat back in a nice mansion, with plenty of money for the rest of her life.

Megan
    Megan, Cindy Williams the actress did not write that article. Here's a link to the true story.

Actress Cindy Williams Hoax

Living the dream...

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

2001-02 Salaries
    NEW YORK ISLANDERS
    PLAYER POSITION SALARY
    Alexei Yashin C 6,549,944
    Chris Osgood G 3,750,000
    Roman Hamrlik D 2,900,000

DETROIT RED WINGS
    PLAYER POSITION SALARY
    Nicklas Lidstrom D 8,500,000
    Dominik Hasek G 8,000,000
    Steve Yzerman C 7,500,000

DALLAS STARS
    PLAYER POSITION SALARY
    Mike Modano C 8,000,000
    Ed Belfour G 6,000,000
    Pierre Turgeon C 6,000,000

NEW YORK RANGERS
    PLAYER POSITION SALARY
    Brian Leetch D 8,680,000
    Theoren Fleury RW 6,500,000
    Mark Messier C 5,583,530
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

Default Does anyone like football?

If you are a regular watcher, either on TV or in person, of professional athletics, you are the reason those ridiculous salaries exist. Ticket prices and TV ads pay those salaries. Same holds true to watching TV or going to the movies.

Those fortunate few who have the physical talents to play sports at the professional level, or who have built up a following for their TV shows or movies, are simply negotiating their fair share of the revenues these activities generate.

Would you feel better if the athletes made 58,000 per year, but the team's owner made a billion dollars? Instead, all involved are getting a share of the huge pot as a result of collective bargaining (i.e., labor unions).

Want this to stop? When you go home, throw out your TV, disconnect your cable or satellite, and stop going to baseball games, football games, movies, etc.

Instead, pick up a book from your local library, play outside with your kids, go camping, whatever.

If enough people did this, the sports and entertainment industries would collapse and those salaries would shrink. Is this going to happen? NO WAY!!

I agree that salaries for public servants are pretty low, but they don't generate any revenue, so that's the way it is. You could always lobby your government officials for tax increase....but I think you know how that would go over....

Result? While it may be morally wrong, it is a fiscal reality that public servants will be poorly paid. Hopefully, the non-monetary rewards can help make up the difference.
    Last edited by agtcooper; 04-26-2002 at 04:56 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

CFR-D Certification- $1200.00

40+ college credits- $25,000

City "Ghetto cruiser"- $750.00

Civil Service Exam Prep Books- $175.00

First FDNY Paycheck- $650.00

Catching your first job with the FDNY- PRICELESS

Sr. Information Officer

Wink

Very Nice E ngine Lt....That got applause!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

This is America. That's what makes it great. We are all free to choose what we want to be, and the possibilities are endless. Its really simple. Laws of supply and demand.

If you're upset with how much anybody makes, don't support them! They're making their fortune off of you, and would probably be laughing right now if they saw these posts.

bke

Unhappy

You beat me to it Engine Lt., !

Shucks.
    BKE
    Proud to be an American.

"No animals were used in the posting of this thread. Two sticks of bubble gum and a hulahoop yes, animals no..."

Thread Information