Forum Member

Question Straight vs Curved

Ok, we are looking into replacing our old Hurst cutter with their new Xtractor line.

Question - what would you prefer...straight blade or the curved blade. Why?

Forum Member

Depends on the situation:

If I have a flat surface that I'm cutting, where I can get the notch of the straight blade in, and I will have to make multiple cuts (and for some reason I'm not using a sawzall), then I want the straight blade.

If I'm cutting a post (or something round where the notch of the straight blade won't be able to hold) then I want the curved blade (O-Cutters).

If I had to choose one, I would choose the curved blade over the straight. It cuts well in more situations.

Stay Safe

If you use your hydraulic rescue tools primarily for car crashes, I would recommend the curved blade. If you use your tools primarily for industrial purposes or for commercial vehicle crashes where you have a lot of flat stock, I would recommend the straight blade. If your department sees an equal amount of these types of situations, then you should purchase both types of blades.

I agree with the reply above. If you use your tools mostly for viechle accidents then get the curved blade it tends to pull towards the centre of the tool giving a better cut. We have found that straight blades tend to slide off and you need to do more cuts.
    I guess you need to look at what you use it most for.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also like the curved blades for cars, pretty much for the same reasons everyone else has said. The straight blades are like trying to cut a paper clip with a pair of scissors. That's the only way I can relate to what happens with them easily. We use to have straight blades on our combo tool on our engines, now we have complete sets of tools so we only have curved blades.

Forum Member

Thanks...some good points here. I have only been able to use the straight blades once before. We have had curved blades forever and have not found much that we could not do with them. We use them almost exclusively on vehicles so the curve works well. Was just wondering what experiences people had with the straight blade.

Thanks again.

Forum Member

We have Phoenix tools which have both a Continuous Cut (C/C) Cutter and a Straight Blade (SB) cutter. The C/C Cutter is the best of both worlds, it has a flat fixed blade and a curved hydraulic shear. But for the really tough jobs, the SB Cutter is the tool for choice, since it was designed to cut things like an "A" post on a school bus.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thread Information