MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Talking How Did You Get Your Nickname?

QUESTION FOR ALL OUT THERE. HOW DID YOU GET YOUR NICKNAMES?
    I GOT MINE WHEN I FIRST STARTED IN THE FIRE SERVICE, I HAD ON MY TURNOUT GEAR AND THE CAPTAIN AT THE TIME SAID I LOOKED LIKE STAYPUFF
    THE MARSHMALLOW MAN FROM GHOSTBUSTERS WITH ALL THAT GEAR ON. EVENTUALLY GOT SHORTENED TO PUFFY.

Arrow

DLM = Don't Leave Me!!
    Not too long after I joined, we had a mutual aid call. I didn't know how to get to the scene and I didn't have a radio at the time, so I called the man on duty at the station and told him to tell whoever was taking the truck "don't leave me, I'm only about 1 minute away!!!!"

JTL

Ol Fric came about when we had some labor problems at the old job.

Forum Member

6'3" 150lbs..... I look like a walking X-ray.

Forum Member

When I first joined my current department, a Captain just hung the name "Ranger Rick" on me, apparently relating to the comic book character.

That name was replaed by "The Quill" after I was elected as the Secretary for our Fireifghters' Association. I guess my tendency to write long letters brought that one on.

But then after I started attending several extrications schools, then helping to teach schools, followed by obtaining training in how to service and maintain our hydraulic recuse tools, the same Captain apparently decided I needed a different nickname. So, on a mutual aid traffic crash scene, the neighboring department was having some difficulty in removing the wreckage from a patient in a mini-van that was hit head-on. The Captain observed this and ask the other department's OIC if our "MetalMedic" could be of any service to them. Of course, the other department OIC had no clue what a "MetalMedic" was (I dount he had much of an idea what a "Paramedic" was), so he declined the offer... but the name stuck.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Cool

I got mine because I'm wild and crazy like the guy from "Backdraft"--BULL.
    "Ever Willing, Ever Ready."
    FDNY, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.

This is easy...
    My first day on I became Barbie. I am 6ft, long legs, blond hair, blue/green eyes. I was only the second girl- the other girl was slightly butch. So I got the name quickly.

FDNY we will never forget 9-11

Talking nicknames

i got mine the first day i walked into the first monday meeting that we have onece a month. They asked me what my name was and my reply was A.J. The overwhelming Response gave me my last name and my new nickname: "Foyt". It was kind of catchy, i guess.
    What are the irons? Is that a Hillside thing?

MembersZone Subscriber

mudflap === on a call to a farmhouse, I buried our pumper in a stump hole up to the mudflaps!
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Not really interesting, but....

Lil' Jeff- My dad's name is Jeff, and we look alike, walk alike, talk alike; you get the picture... People confuse me for him all the time, see below...

Lt. 1 1/2- My dad is a lieutenant, and when I don't have my gear on hand when I decide to go to the station, I wear his gear if we get a call.

I told you it wasn't interesting, but hey, I can't help that I'm 2nd gen that a Captain confused for the Lt. when we had about 4 calls going at one time. He was pulling out of the station at about the time I was walking in, and he stopped because he thought I was the Lt. (he was the only guy on the truck, and any help he could have gotten, I'm sure he would have appreciated, but I wasn't a member yet). The REAL Lt. was on the 3rd call, a medical assist, and at the time I wasn't a member, so I couldn't run with the cap, or I would have. Oh well, I reckon that's ONE of the reasons why I'm called what I'm called...
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Mine is Billy Bogg I got the pumper stuck once. It happened to be during an MCI training session. About 100 people from all around the county were there plus Several agencies and the press. We were had to winch the truck out. But in my defence I was backing the truck up adn got too close to the soft shoulder and sunk to the tail board and of the roughly 75 people standing watching me not one could think of the word Stop, or Whoa or something!
    The best one on our dept was a member was giving a tour one afternoon to a group of Cub Scouts and was on top of the rescue truck showing some thing off, but stood up and promptly got nailed by the ceiling fan and req'd 7 stitches to his forehead. We call him BLADE.
    Last edited by PhyerPhyter; 04-30-2002 at 10:35 PM.
    Some days yer the fire hydrant and some days yer the dog.

Fire Dept -- Moose - cause I'm 6'5 300 lbs.
    First Aid/Rescue -- BFB = Big F**king Banana cause the rescue turnout gear there is yellow, and stated from my size above, that's how i got the name.

Thumbs up SQUIRT

Not long after I got in, a little over 2 years ago, the guys started calling me squirt. I've come to find out that it's because I'm short (5'4") and I'm their "Little Girl"... I think I'm gonna be the "Little Girl" for the rest of my time in the fire service! ...Stay Safe and Take care everyone!!
    Did ya ever wonder what happens to the girls that rip the heads off Barbie Dolls?... They Fight Fire.

Talking Nicknames!!! Ahhhh how I love them

I got my nickname two weeks after joining my department's cadet firefighter program. "Roadblock" was dubbed to me because I got the bright idea after a major adrenaline dump from tones being set off to go out in the middle of the street and block the traffic for our responding engine, and later was told by a red faced captain that I should not have even thought about doing that and I was suspended...

I think I set my department's "fastest suspension record".

Oh and to the gentleman who was talking about Backdraft and how Bull got his nickname. I do believe that he received his nickname because of all the bull**** he talked and fed to others. I could be wrong but doubt it!!!
    Adam Spencer
    Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa MO 65714

I got my nickname in 6th grade in boy scouts at camps because the smoke always blew in my direction. and I was a junior firefighter. So they called me SMOKEY.

Default My Real Name is Matt ,but...

the first day I walked into the joint in Maryland they took one look at me, realized I was a short Italian from NY, and I talked like Joe Pesci... they called me Vinny or Cousin Vinny...Apparently I am the first Italian guy they ever seen. Those are the nicknames that are not ethnic slurs!!
    "Cigarette Butts on the floor have more time than YOU!!"

Default hi, pole, nice to meet you...

First day of driver/operator training, the diamondboard back bumper of a 1999/2000 Peterbuilt Custom engine met a pole in a parking lot.

Hence, the name Crash, or Crash Bandicoot.

Some call me Prom Queen...have no clue why. Have to ask some of my bar customers

Since I joined the Army, I get a lot of "GI Jane" or "Army Chick"
    Spec. Krista M. Aukeman, United States Army

Some day, in years to come, you will be wrestling with the great temptation, or trembling under the great sorrow of your life. But the real struggle is here, now, in these quiet weeks. Now it is being decided whether, in the day of your supreme sorrow or temptation, you shall miserably fail or gloriously conquer. Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process.
    - Phillips Brooks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Hammer

I guess I'm not very tactful, which can be either good or bad when you're the supervisor. The saying goes, "The Hammer wants to see it done, or your dead body where you were trying to."

I just tell it like it is. If you can't respect that, go work for someone who gives group hugs and sings Kumbaya.
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

MY FIRST NAME IS DANIEL BUT THE CHIEF CALLS ME LT. DAN BECOUSE I HAVE NO LEGS.

First off, mine is just the same abbreviation of my last name as my dad, cousin, brother . . . "beech" for Beecher. But we had a guy a few years back that got the worst nick name of the mall and I just feel that I MUST share his tail with you.

Late one night we got called to a barn fire. This one probie in our company was originally from a small city and anything that had to do with a farm/barn was foreign to him. { our district covers everythnig from a major college campus, 44,000 students, to scores of central PA farms.} About 8 of us, including the probie, piled into the walk-in box of our rescue as it pulled out the door on the cold autumn night. When we got on sceen, this probie was told to head around to side "C" or 3, to help the crews pull hose. As he rounded the corner he stepped off the edge into an emulsifing pit that was about five feet deep with a 30 foot diameter. In central PA, farmers collect the cow S$#% and emulsify in water so they may spread it on the fields as a natural fertilizer. This poor probie found himself shoulder deep in such a pit. We pulled him out and hosed him off. Striped his gear off and hosed him off again and placed him in the back of the rescue to sit out of the way for the next 3 hours. When the other 7 of us went to get back into the box, we couldn't. The odor of POOP was to heavy. We all rode in back of pickup trucks, or other firefighters cars to get back to the station but POOP had the box to himself along with a nick name that would enter a room minuets before he did.

KEEP SAFE!!

Talking Gomer

Alpha192, you had me LOL!! That one can't be topped, but I figured I'd chime in anyways.

I got nicknamed "Gomer" while living at a firehouse during my college years: Being a native of the far western region of Maryland (as far west as you can go without leaving the state) I guess I have an accent that could best be described as a slight "country drawl". Well, one day as I was singing in the shower, one of my fellow firehouse residents overheard me and remarked how I was just like Gomer Pyle - talked funny, but sang great - so he started the nickname (luckily, it didn't stick too well). (One other nickname I had for a while was "Drivin' Ivan" because I drove the pumper so much.)
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hubcap

We have (probably one of the best firefighters I've had the honor of working with)a guy that was so sharp at the academy, they called him "Rocket". When he reported to work with us on the truck company (a bunch of high-fliers in their own right) we had to take him down a notch (although later we found that we didn't have to). So he got "Hubcap" - pretty to look at but functionally uselsss.
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

Talking My life story.....

When I was in Ringwood- Danny (also Small dick, cause I wasn't like by the young guys in the Deparment that where taking over, now did)
    W.Milford Fire & Rescue 3- Blue (I like Blue and red lights)
    Wayne FD #3- I was going to go for the name Bull, but some guy took it already, damn it, so I am hopin to get Bull Jr. some how someway. But What I am known as "Damn Probbie"

Just remember guys these names are just to bust balls, NOT to get rid of people. And if your a volunteer and you get your balls busted bad enought like I did in Ringwood leave, I bet some other company would love to have your skill and another member.
    Gentalmen and Ladies take care
    Dan M. B.
    NJ State Firefighter 1
    Passaic County Fire Acadamy
    Class of 2001
    "Let's Not Forget Our Fallen Heroes"
    9-11-01

bke

I'm not a firefighter yet but where I work now, we all have nicknames.

Walking Tall -- that's mine, 6'6'' and 187 pounds.
    ShawnMan -- the new guy.
    Ray Jay. -- Little guy but all heart.
    T-Bone -- our manager.
    Turbo -- talks real fast but a bit of a low talker .
    Harry Potter -- our team leader, looks EXACTLY like Harry Potter.
    Himm-haww -- takes his time but is a very good worker and friend.

I got my nickname because of my height of course .
    BKE
    Proud to be an American.

"No animals were used in the posting of this thread. Two sticks of bubble gum and a hulahoop yes, animals no..."

Thread Information