Default Scott Eagle Imager Ii

We recently did some testing with this new on the market TIC (Scott Eagle Imager II) and the MSA Evolution 4000. Although I personally like the MSA 4000, some seemed to be overly impressed with the Scott Eagle Imager II. Has anyone done any testing with this new camera ... purchased any ... or have any info that might be shared?

The rep was pushing the "InfoTherm" option which "paints" different temperatures with distinct colors (during testing however, I felt this option was painting most of the image on the screen ... i.e. - walls and ceilings above the fire and even firefighters at times). Also stressed was their 3 different color palettes, black and white, "autumn" and full color (is it necessary/needed?). He also stressed the "interchangeability" of the function keys allowing the unit to be used and "programmed" by either right or left handers easily (to me, this could present problems in different FF's changing the functions from right to left or the other way around and confusing the next user ... in other words, I believe in the KISS standard with equipment).

Some of the FF's liked the shape of the instrument, liking the reps explanation of the device being designed for crawling. Now I can see the explanation in designing the device for crawling, however, I think the great majority of use will not be in the crawling mode. I favor the MSA design and "2 handle" shape.

The rep also "indicated", did not come right out and say, that they were redesigning the shoulder strap at the request of the Chicago F.D. because if they were going to purchase them, that was something that needed to be changed for them. I called and spoke with 2 chiefs in Chicago to get the scoop from them ... untrue. At this time, I was told that they are still evaluating a multitude of TIC's and at no time have they indicated to Scott, or any other manufacturer, that they will be purchasing their product.

Lastly, the Scott utilizes a digital temperature readout ... the MSA a sliding bar graphic ... is the digital readout that much more valuable than the other (yes, I have read posts here on the virtues and downfalls of the temp indicators)?

Many thanks to any that can provide me with more info and their likes/dislikes of these 2 TIC's.

Bob
    Last edited by FMBob42; 04-26-2002 at 12:05 AM.
    Stay Safe ...
    Bob Blakeslee, Fire Marshal
    firemarshal@jcfd.org
    Pls visit us at:
    www.jcfd.org

Forum Member

Default We bought the Eagle II....

I'm adding this upfront...

I just checked the specifications between the Scott and the MSA...remarkable similarities. As you may or may not know, most camera's "guts" are made by one of a few defense contractors who developed the technology for the military. The Scott camera is using an "engine" supplied by FLIR Systems, and after reading about the MSA Evolution 4000, I would not be at all surprised to learn that it is using the same engine. Something you may want to find out if you can. If they are the same, it is really a matter of picking the packaging and features you prefer. Hope this helps....

Our company performed an evaluation of 5 cameras in various situations at our training center. (Unfortunately, the MSA TIC was not part of comparison group, so I can't help there.) The scenarios we used were:

- Hazmat with tanks and barrels filled with various materials -- used camera to detect temperature differences and fill levels in containers

- Searching for hidden heat sources in a commercial building

- Search and rescue -- location of victim during a live burn in the burn building

For these scenarios, we broke into 5 teams of 4-5 people. Each team tried to repeat as many scenarios as possible using each of the 5 cameras under evaluation. At the conclusion of our testing, each member was asked to rate the 5 cameras, giving pluses and minuses for each. This feedback was compiled and used by our line officers and membership to make a purchase decision.

The cameras we evaluated are as follows:

Cairns Viper
    Bullard T3
    Bullard TLx
    Scott Eagle 1
    Scott Eagle 2

Here is a synopsis of our findings for each unit:

Cairns Viper --

+ Good image quality, and the limited color was helpful in finding the hottest spot in an area
    + Packaging helpful for looking around corners without completely exposing firefighters to hazardous areas; also good for looking up chimneys

- Image froze often when scanning around a room.
    - Packaging very cumbersome for normal use
    - Telemetry connection prone to damage (a cable is attached to the bottom of the unit, which would likely get damaged when crawling)
    - Usable by only one person at a time -- hooded viewscreen prevents more than one person from seeing screen at a time

-----------------

Bullard T3

+ Cheap
    + Small

- Image was too small and not very clear

(This unit was universally disliked -- only a good idea if this is all you can afford)

------------------

Bullard TLx

+ Good image quality

- Image locked and froze when scanning
    - Packaging not the most convenient, becomes heavy after holding for a few minutes, and there is only one way to hold it
    - No color display

-------------------

Scott Eagle 1 (quite similar to Bullard TLx)

+ Good image quality

- Image locked and froze when scanning
    - Packaging
    - No color display

--------------------

Scott Eagle 2 (nicknamed "the carpet nailer", due to its packaging)

+ Good image quality, very few freeze-ups when scanning
    + Several different color modes for viewing; certain color modes were more useful than others, depending on the heat conditions
    + Packaging makes crawling and viewing the image very easy
    + Multiple people can see the image at the same time
    + Temperature readout can be useful (a small "+" in the center of the screen is used to select the area from which you'd like a temperature reading.)
    + Telemetry equipment all protected inside case -- no cables to get damaged
    + Multiple channels to select from for use with telemetry

- Expensive!!!
    - Pointing the unit takes a little getting used to since you're not really "looking through it" like some of the other units

At the end of the evaluation, the Scott Eagle II was a clear winner. Every single member who participated picked this unit as the best of the 5 we tested. As a result, we ordered 3 units for our department.
    Last edited by agtcooper; 05-06-2002 at 05:03 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Scott Eagle Ii

We have a Eagle Ii and love it. The first call that we used it on was in a crawlspace. You may not be crawling with it most of the time but, the time when you do have to crawl with it is when it will be most critical. Assuming that you are crawling because of the smoke and heat looking for victims, you want to be able to use the camera and be able to see the screen and not lose the use of a hand because your holding the unit.

We primarily use the black and white setting.

Hope this helps.

P.P.

Thread Information