Default Welcome the new Probie!

Just call me Probie!
    I got the call last night and boy and I excited.
    I finally get to have a career I am proud of.
    Any words of wisdom?

God Bless
    PD

Talking Congrats

Congrats
    DJW
    Member I.A.C.O.J.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear."
    -Ambrose Redmoon

Default congratulations kid!

Here are a few tips for a probie.

1. Bring extra clothing! A full spare uniform down to the socks and underwear. Keep it locked in your vehicle too! You will be getting wet. Don't change your clothes until later in the day, or they will get wet also. Actually, just plan on staying wet.

2. Bring ICE CREAM to work on your first day, and lots of it too!!

3. Stay off your ***! Don't be caught sitting down unless you are told to sit down. (follow the example of the probie on CBS's 9/11 documentary)

4. Show up to work early, and never be late!

5. Grow tough skin! You are going to be given a hard time. Don't let anyone get to you. We all went through it, it is nothing new. You are not hated (well maybe just a little ), just fresh blood to pick on.

HAVE A GREAT TIME and enjoy the next 30 years! You will never regret this career choice.

Scott Reasor
    Be safe brothers

Forum Member

I'll be starting with a department in a few months too so congrats.

I had a simular post and someone (I forget who) told me not to forget the probie triangle. . .

1) Firetruck, wash it
    2) Coffee pot, make sure it's full
    3) Sink, make sure it is empty of dishes

I thought that was pretty funny and worth a second post.

Good luck.

A big WELCOME to the newbie....Most stations love a new guy cause it gives them an excuse to be absolutly lazy. An earlier post suggests growing thick skin....you bet, you will be wondering to yourself "who did all this stuff before I got here" chances are the last new guy. Don't let it get you down and don't raise a stink, a good station Officer will see it going on and will eventually step in and mention the lack of participation to the older guys. Don't step on toes, no "we did it different at XYZ". However if you see something that you can do a different way, wait for your opportunity and sneak it into a traning drill one day. Remember, for some egotistical reason, your not supposed to know anything but your supposed to know how to do it Don't be a suck up either, nobody likes someone that runs to the boss. If you know how to cook and your station does'nt have a regular ole salt that does all the cooking offer to make your specialty. Expect to take a razzin here too. People like to rag on the cook, for what reason I'll never know. I guess they never think of what the cook can do to your food when no one is watching Bottom line is this, Make friends early and you'll have them for life. This is where the Brotherhood thrives. A lot of people compare the brootherhood with marriage, we laugh together, we cry together, we attend classes and special events together. Learn your profession well and your 20 years of service will turn into a life time of satisfaction. Have fun, stay safe,and watch your co-workers backs.

District Chief

KFD232 sums it up.

Good suggestions.

I will add:

Go in there and be prepared to tell them your background and then forget it. Dont continuously say "we did this" "we did that", "where I come from"...etc... They will take you background info and store it and then it is up to you to prove you are not Bsing...

Maintain an open mind and be willing to learn. Listen to your officer and ask questions when you are not certain or need a clarification.

Remember...there is an Academy way of doing things and then there is the STREET Way!

Stay safe and good luck
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Sr. Information Officer

Default Congratulations!

Good, solid advice from our colleagues! I won't add anything except these words from an old Chinese saying:

My father always told me, 'Find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life.'
    We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. - Norman MacEswan.
    Good luck!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Probie Wan Kenobi...

Just remember that the reputation that you make for yourself now will last the rest of your career, so make sure it's a good one!

Congratulations and good luck!
    Living the dream...

JTL

Told you Pro!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Good advice: Keep your head up, visor down and always look out for your partner, he might be the guy saving your life - or you saving his.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Rock and Roll rick... by the way... which side is the pump pannel on?

Anyway, don't be afraid to ask questions... everyone had to hold the light at one time.

Good luck
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Cogratulations!!! Welcome to the brotherhood!! Everyone above pretty much summed it up. Keep your mouth shut, eyes and ears open, and always be suspicious! You never know when that prank will come
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Thanks for all the good advice. I will be getting out of my academy on May 31st. I appreciate all the advice. One of my academy instructors told us to keep our eyes and ears open and our mouths shut when we get online. I will take that and all I have read here and hope that I do the right things. Good luck to prometheusd and nsc in their new careers.
    If a fire is an emergency to the fire dept., who do they call?

Thread Information