Default 2 fire departments for the same district

Out here in Josephine County, Oregon we actually have 2 fire departments serving a 300 square mile fire district. Grants Pass Rural Fire has been around for over 50 years with 3 stations in the district, they only respond to fires. Rural/Metro Fire-Rescue (formerly Valley Fire Service) has been around for 23 years and has 7 stations, they respond to all medical and fire calls. The home owners and businesses in the district have a contract with one of the fire departments for protection, Rural/Metro (who has better equipment and more manpower) has around 12,000 contracts and Grants Pass Rural has around 2,000. And the departments do not work together, during non-contract fires a Sheriff unit will respond because fights have occurred between the rival firefighters.
    Anyway, does anybody know of any other district in the Country that has 2 fire departments serving the same district?

You mean like the few remaining Volunteer Depts. that are still in service in the middle of NEW YORK CITY?

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Wow, 300 miles, that is really, really, really, really small.

Did I mention that is small? What is the ISO rating for those stations? Also what happens if you don't have a contract? No one comes? Or do they just throw down first and then put out the fire.

Default 300 is small?

300 square miles with a population of 30,000. Its the largest district in the County, lol! Rural/Metro has 16 full-time personal with around 40 stand-by personal, they had 2,521 calls last year.
    The ISO rating is 7-9.
    Both fire departments will always respond no matter what the contract report is. If its a non-contract then the first fire department on-scene takes the call unless the owner says otherwise. Rural/Metro charges $500.00 per hour with an additional $2,000.00 charge for structure fires, im sure Grants Pass Rural charges the same.
    I should point out that Grants Pass Rural has some VERY old equipment, its amazing that the department is still around. The first out unit is a 1972 Dodge pick-up with a 200 gallon tank, and most of the time only 1 firefighter responds. Also the units can not respond Code-3 because of several vehicle violations, it has been that way for the past 5 years. Oh yea, the department has zero mutual-aid assistance. Im not sure why the State just doesn't kick them out.
    Last edited by waydog; 04-30-2002 at 12:08 PM.

Wow, I drive a 1972 Chevy, but it is more of a custom truck and has been rebuilt, I couldn't imagine driving a thrity year old truck that has been in fire duty all of its life. Do you guys not get a lot of funding? Aren't you allowed to tax out there, I mean, there has to be a way to get some new equipment.

I agree, I am shocked to see a department that is in that much trouble. I'm glad I my department can afford lots of new toys. Toys kick ***, I like new toys. Nothing beats a cool toys!

Westville use to have stations in a 1 sqaure mile. But in Pitman Fire Dept, they have 3 station in a 1 1/2 square mile
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

Lightbulb well...

Actually the 1972 dodge is a new rig, they just bought the truck a few years ago. And its not a real fire unit at all, its just a custom truck with a tank, a pump, and a radio. No logo, no lights, no siren, just a custom truck with water.
    Grants Pass Rural is a private department, the only funding is thru the contracts. Its a full volunteer crew, but most of them dont even have a basic firefighting certificate. Somebody in this state is not doing his job!
    How do I know all this? I volunteered with this department for 1 year. I was fighting brush fires when I was 17 (im 22 now) with no training at all!
    Last edited by waydog; 04-28-2002 at 03:53 PM.

In southern Texas a city and a volunteer department both tax for the same services. Yes double taxed too. The both cover the city. You get three volunteer houses and and two paid.

When the volunteers asked for a 350% increase in the tax rate the city and the IAFF firefighters fought then on the election. The vollies suggest the paid guys get behind it but no! The volunteers won the election with 79.8% of the people voting for it.

Instead of believing the citizens deserved more service the fire service fought itself ad only the volunteers won. THe city runs 1980 tilt cab Fords and the vollies have 9 new rigs on order and three startions under construction. Moral of the story get behind don't fight.

Thread Information