Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Water Resource Truck

Looking for ideas on a water resourse truck for our department. We cover 272 square miles of primarily agricultural land in the suburban district. Apparatus will need the ability to draft and relay pump to fill tankers or directly to the engine. Water source could be anything from an irrigation well, river, pond, canal, etc. Have in mind a F350 or F450 Superduty (Powerstroke) chassis with 1000-1500 gallon pump that has preconnected hard suction. Would have a diesel generator and lighting for both draft and fill sites. Would like to use a front mount pump if feasible. If you would please share your ideas, experiences or thoughts on this subject it would be appreciated. What do you use, what would you change, etc? Check us out at www.kvfd.net Thank you.
    Last edited by FFWALT; 04-29-2002 at 12:49 PM.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

FFWALT,

1. You won't be able to cool a Superduty with a front mount 1000GPM pump.

2. It will be far too much hassle to install a front mount pump.

3. I think the biggest pump you can use is a 1000 GPM.

4. You would have to use a midship pump or a rear mount with a split shaft gear case.

Other than these things I like the idea of something easily deployed and quickly set up to pump.
    Fyrtrks

Cool Water Resource Truck

Hi FFWALT,
    You might want to check out http://www.resqsquad.net/ from there go to the Rescue Websites and look in New York State you will see a link for North Quennsbury Fire. Click on Apparatus and check out Engine 327, it is set up for exactly what you are looking for. There are lots of pictures that show compartment layouts equipment and the building of the apparatus.

Also from the North Queensbury site go to their Hot Links and look for Lake George Vol. Fire they have an Engine 330 that is also set up for water supply.There may be e-mail adresses for either of these and you could probably e-mail them for more info or specs on the trucks.
    Hope this helps.

redfred65

redfred65. That is an interesting piece of apparatus. Thanks.

Fyrtrks. What I had in mind was a pto driven front mount pump. The pto is apparently an option on F450 or F550's. With this in mind do you think it would still be to big of a hassle to front mount a pump. If you did this on an extended front bumper I don't think you would have the cooling problem. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the info.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

You might want to look into the new line of GMC medium duty trucks. They may fit your need.

Talking

We have tankers that would suit your needs. They have 1000gpm Darleys
    and 1800gal's h2o tank + 30' of 6" hard suction and 1000' of 5" LDH.
    We also have 3000gal porta tank and 150'1.75, 200' 1.75, and 250' forestry line. Its made by Central States But any manufacturer can set you up. We've had to use it as attack apperatus before... it's not an engine, but it puts out fires. Best advice anyone can give is to spec your truck and have it built to your needs. Don't settle for a prefab unless it suits your needs. Best of luck

P.S. Amps hydraulic generators are nifty for powering lighting options
    Last edited by SYSIPHUS; 05-03-2002 at 09:57 AM.

Default PTO pump

FFWALT,

I highly doubt that you can run a 1000 GPM pump off a ford PTO. There are several reasons for this, primarly I doubt it will have the horsepower to do so. I also do not belive that after you finished running the pto up to the pump if you did have enough hp it would be lost in the driveshaft and u joints. Ford has a very specific location of items you can place in the grille, and that is only on the outer most areas. If you have a crankshaft mounted pump you have to cut and modify the radiator, there goes the warranty from Ford. I am not saying that is impossible but I would steer away from it. The North Queesnbury truck although not the correct color is just what i was thinking of. You could also rear mount the pump with a split shaft transfer case. This would give you maximum flow without the need for a front suction. This would restrict the size of your tank and nessitate the use of a good shield for the driveshaft but it would be the best flow possible. The North Queesnbury truck could /can use dual suctions.
    Fyrtrks

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Mr. Handwork at Hale says they will not mount a front mount pump on a f550. Try calling the other two pump folk. He says no cooling no horsepower to pass A UL test.

Forum Member

Just a few things. First the crankshaft in the Powerstroke will not handle a front mount pump. I can not remember the numbers but I did see a post on NAVET.org regarding this. How a bout a heavier chassis? Everbody sees the F450/550 as the greatest. How about a little larger that can handle the weight of a full midship, hose, and accesories. Lake Arial in north eastern PA has a great water supply piece. I beleive it is a F700 ford with a 750 or larger front mount and a large flat bed full of 5". It's only purpose is water supply. They drop the dry hydrant and run for water. It is worth a look. Also Sister Bay, WI has a great water supply piece on an International and a front mount.

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys.

3genff, do you have web site or e-mail addresses for those departments?
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

FFWALT,

e-mail me and I will send you pictures and specs of our ( Sister Bay) water supply unit.
    The quick specs are as follows:

IHC 4900 4x4 / 300 HP DT530
    Hale CSD 1250 Pump (will do close to 1750 from draft, with dual suctions)
    Saulsbury body
    Hanney Hydraulic reel 4000' 5"
    64'Suction
    12,000 rear winch

2 guys 4000 feet of hose flowing 900+ GPM in 12 Min for ISO.

SBLG

Now that the pump has beed discussed (still open to ideas though), how about the equipment that this truck needs? Do you have a water resourse truck? If so what has been done right or what would you change? Thanks, Walt.
    www.kvfd.net

-- Flexible suction in 20 or 30' lengths, with quick-connect fittings (either Storz or industrial camlock fittings).
    -- Ability to hook up two suctions (allows you to excede pump capacity rating)
    -- A portable radio was the #1 thing the drivers on our Engine wanted...helps them listen even if they're not at the pump panel adjusting the strainer or something. (The long, flexible suctions do have the drawback of wanting to "curl" back into shore...nothing a pikepole or a rope to a tree doesn't fix when they do)
    -- TurboDrafts if you carry water.
    -- Chainsaw (for ice)
    -- Pikepole (used to push the strainer out of low water/weeds)
    -- Utility Rope (used to hold the strainer out of low water/weeds)
    -- Keys for gates
    -- Bolt Cutters for gates you don't have keys for
    -- Some spare 3/4 length boots (unless you enjoy that lovely feeling of cold water going through your bunker pants and into your bunker boots)

And one thing we don't do, I guess 'cause no one else does (you know, that tradition thing...) Life vests.

Why are we working around water, often in it, frequently either alone or just two people, on muddy, sometimes steep, often slippery banks by ponds and streams, rushing to get the suction in and the strainer out of the weeds without wearing a Personal Flotation Device?

The more I list some of that stuff, the more I'm figuring out why so many like dry hydrants We don't use them 'cause they limit our flows unless designed and installed well...but they sure make somethings easier!
    Last edited by Dalmatian90; 05-12-2002 at 10:31 AM.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Here is some of what we carry

Lots of suction- we carry 64 feet for dual suctions or long lays
    dual floating strainers
    LOw flow strainers
    ICe strainers
    Ice auger
    Ice chisel
    Chain saw with a long bar ( ours is 36")
    Adapters and short lengths of hose
    Maniflods
    Relay valves
    We do carry 2 Mustang Ice commander suits so if we are on the ice or near the water when its cold we can put them on. Warm and dry
    Hammer style probe to tie off the floating strainers in shallow water
    ICe rescue ankle weights to put on the floating strainers if the is much wave action.
    Potable radio with headsets

SBLG

MembersZone Subscriber

bump thread

Thread Information