Forum Member

Default I fought the law...and the law won.

Now, never let it be said that old "Stay Back" isn't a good sport about things. I have....on occasion...been known to make fun of certain people or situations here on the message board. Today I can only make fun of myself. I got into a fight with a skinny, 8' tall, big-headed dude and I lost!!!!

Need more info?? O.K. After yesterday's tornadic activity in our area, we were summoned to do a variety of good deeds ranging from rescue operations all the way down to traffic control. As a well-trained, dedicated, decorated officer I am forced to make difficult decisions that sometimes place personnel in dangerous settings. I have always said that I'd never ask a firefighter to do something I wouldn't do myself...so as a display of heroic bravery I took it upon myself to step forth from my lofty officer's seat in our engine and tread perilously into the dark unknown to upright a STOP sign, so that motorists would have something to run through as they rubbernecked at all the fallen trees and structural damage. After carefully bending the sign to 3/4 upright, my wet gloves failed to hold their grip and TWWWWAAAAAANNNGGGGG!!!! the savvy old veteran took one for the team!! From 0 to 60 in less than a minute, I had a face full of sign. After treating my broken tooth and multiple facial lacerations the guys from the engine company started working through my series of new nicknames. Some have even referred to the "Daffy Duck -- Spin, Dodge, Twirl, Parry" sequence to which his bill is bent to vertical after trying to navigate a staff.

Incident critique???--- DON'T punch the sign if this happens to you, it only hurts your hand. Thank God the cameras weren't around for this one!!

Last edited by StayBack500FT; 04-29-2002 at 10:11 AM.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

Reminds me of the time I tried to beat a hydrant to death with the wrench only to smash my knuckles against the bonnet. I wanted water and the friggin thing wouldnt give it up so I thought a little street justice might persuade it. MOTOWN-0 HYDRANT-1
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Hope the face and the chiclet heals nicely. Didn't expect the stones not to get broken for this one did ya? Hope you feel better.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Sr. Information Officer

Default Sign of the Times

I hope you're okay....but, in all honesty...you failed to follow instructions that were "posted" right in front of you....

S-T-O-P

Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Disillusioned Subscriber

I don't mean to laugh (that's a lie), but I couldn't breath for laughing. I was ROTFLMFAO. I saw that whole thing in my mind with absolute clarity. Then as I'm climbing out of the floor and back into my chair, I read your post MOTOWN, and back to the floor again. I did the same thing once. It didn't work for me either. Hydrants can be really bull-headed sometimes.

In all seriousness, I hope your OK StayBack. Damn, that had to hurt!
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Talking How about another decoration!

TO ALL WHO SEE THESE PRESENTS,GREETINGS. KNOW YE THAT REPOSING SPECIAL TRUST IN THE FIDELITY AND ABILITY OF KEEP BACK 500 FEET,I DO APPOINT THIS FIREFIGHTER AS TRAFFIC CONTROL OFFICER FOR THE INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF CRUSTY OLD JAKES. I DO THERE FORE STRICTLY CHARGE ALL FIREFIGHTERS TO LAUGH AND POINT WHEN HE IS ON DUTY!

SIGNED:
    1835WAYNE
    I.A.C.O.J. OVERHAUL
    CHARTER MEMBER

P.S. PUFFY: would you add your credentials to the endorsement of this fine (HE HE)old jake???

I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Truckie

To quote the late, great Chris Farley: "Oh, that's going to leave a mark..."
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

W.S.U. is forwarding a doctorate on Traffic Control after reviewing this fine display of tactics.

Forum Member

Thanks Puffy

NJFFS -- Next time I'll walk around and read the front of the sign!! Thanks!!

Steamer-- Thanks ....ummmm....I think???

Nicknames are ranging from Gene Simmons (bloody mouth) to my personal favorite....Octagon!!

E6511

MembersZone Subscriber

(StayBack's FD) Standard Operating Guideline

Post Disaster Emergency Road Sign Repair

1. Establish command.

2. Consider requesting EMS to standby at scene.

3. Personell should wear full gear, including helmet with chin strap fastened and visor in the down position.

4. Command should establish an operation perimeter of at least 1 1/2 times the height of the street sign to be repaired in all directions. Only those personnel directly involved in the street sign repair should be inside the operational perimeter.

5. One member should be designated as the "sign straightener". This person will be responsible for actively straightening the sign.

6. At least two other members should be designated "helpul advice givers". Their role will be to advise the Sign Straightener on what they think are the best tactics to use, as well as to act as a Rapid Intervention Team in the event that the Sign Straightener needs to be rapidly removed fromt the operational area.

7. Should the Helpful Advice Givers need to render assistance to the Sign Straightener, they should make every effort to stiffle giggles stemming from the Sign Straightener's misfortune until the Sign Straightener has been removed from immediate danger.

8. In the event that the Sign Straightener is rendered unconscious, the Helpful Advice Givers should make every effort to come up with a REALLY good nickname for the Sign Straightener by the time he regain consciousness.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Forum Member

Silver City --- I couldn't have said it better myself!! BRAVO brother!

E6511

StayBack- ROFLMAO

I'm laughing with ya brother, not at you Seriously, hope your ok.Might take a while for your pride to heal though

Motown--dont ya just hate it when the hydrants decide not to play along?

SilverCity--excellent SOG's!

Boy I love Mondays on this forum,ROFL

Lady.
    "Let every nation know..that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty"---JFK, Jan.1961

MembersZone Subscriber

StayBack - I too am sorry to hear about your unfortunate "run-in" (pun intended) with the afore mentioned stop sign.

Additionally, I just wanted to commend you for following one of my favorite philosophies.

As you go through this crazy game we call life, If you can't stop and laugh at yourself - someone else is going to do it for you.

Or

Laugh and the world laughs with you - Cry and the world laughs AT you.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

JTL

STOP IT! Your killing me!

Facial reconstruction due to hard impact with traffic safety device. Ouch!

Forum Member

My god StayBack, you may just be responsible for a whole new set of NFPA Standards being written...........

Thank you for sharing your misfortune, it made everyone elses day

bke

OSHA: "How did this accident occur?"
    "Um, well, er, um,..."
    OSHA: "Okay, how do we prevent it from happening again?"
    "I will think of something as soon as my head stops hurting."

ROFL -- I give it five stars!

Thanks for sharing the story S.B.500. A speedy recovery to ya and I think the guys on your engine should at least buy you a beer !
    BKE
    Proud to be an American.

"No animals were used in the posting of this thread. Two sticks of bubble gum and a hulahoop yes, animals no..."

In keeping with SOP's I have one question where was the Safety Officer during your misfortunite incident?

I will tip the leather to you for leading by example theory and sharing your story.

Another way you could take it is lawenforment's way of getting back at us for doing their job...lol j/k with ya Bro and and the cops.

Glad your all right it happens to the best of us.

GOD Bless FDNY and All of the Lost brother's and their families.

FTM, PTB, RFB

Forum Member

All I know is that I've gained far too much respect for the common housefly that manages to struggle away after being swatted.

Safety Officer????? I think he was falling out of the rig laughing!!

E6511

Forum Member

You all being in the land of the free and opportunistic lawyers...

Who's suing who first??!!

Is the sign for being manhandled without prior permission, or Stayback for being set upon without warning and clearly malice aforethought!!

I bet someone could make a case.

Seriously, best wishes for a speedy recovery Stayback. Although I may have to post this in my crewroom as a warning of the perils associated with what we over here call "street furniture". (no theyve never looked like sofas to me either).

Stay Safe
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Talking

Thank god that it wasn't a yeild sign ....I've heard that they can make FedQ2 if it hits you just right

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by bke
    I give it five stars!
    Awe C'mon - I'm sure he saw WAY more than 5 stars when that sign made "fist contact"
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

I can imagine the sound so a new name such as DING or DONG could be on the way.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

bke

I rated this thread five stars, ! How many stars S.B.500 actually saw, you will have to ask him, LOL ....
    An afterthought: Add a bag of Quikrete and a posthole digger to the Engine !

Stay silly all.
    Last edited by bke; 04-30-2002 at 01:13 AM.
    BKE
    Proud to be an American.

"No animals were used in the posting of this thread. Two sticks of bubble gum and a hulahoop yes, animals no..."

Sr. Information Officer

Talking BEEP BEEP

Dear StayBack500FT,

It has come to our attention that you may be able to provide us with material for an upcoming animated series. The producers of the program would like you to contact them at your earliest convenience.
    Please call Warner Brothers Cartoon Productions at 222-555-1234 or drop us a note at:

Warner Brothers Cartoons
    405 Sign Post Avenue
    Comedyville, USA 008 19

Please mark it to the attention of:

Jack Kass, Producer
    RoadRunner/Wile E Coyote Films
    Department 1 22

* BEEP BEEP!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Default Charges Filed

It has come to this departments attention that on or about the 28th of April, while in the performance of your duties, you did wantonly and willfully cause destruction to one stop sign. Considering your position we are unable to overlook this incident. However, since this is your first offense, and the stop sign does not want any additional publicity, the charges will be dropped, provided you pay for the facial dent can be removed from said sign. Further you will be placed on probation, and any other malicious acts towards signs, traffic signal or highway markers will results in charges being re-instated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

The Police Department

Good one Stay Back......

Dave

Thread Information