MembersZone Subscriber

Default logged on, tried to post and said I wasn't logged on

Webteam,

I was on the forum about banning live fire training, and I typed a response and when I hit "post reply" a screen came up and said I wasn't logged on. The only thing is I logged on upon coming to the forum page, and I did take not that I saw the welcome back ALSfirefighter screen or whatever it says. I lost the post that I did, and it was rather lengthy. I went back a few minutes later and it did the same thing, but I was smart and copied and pasted the reply and then it allowed me to post.
    I just thought it would be nice to advise you of the problem.

Thanks alot!!,
    ALSfirefighter

Administrator

We havent done anything differently. Are you logging in from the usual computer and what browser? Did you type for a long time and possibly logged out?

Thanks
    WebTeam

MembersZone Subscriber

I've had similiar problems. I've narrowed it down to two possibilities, but I'm no computer guru.

1. Using "back" on your brower to navigate. When you use the "back" button, you back past the point where you logged in.

2. There's a "time out" function on the board. But it must be short, 'cause I type pretty fast.

Just my observations.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for getting back webteam. I posted a couple other replies with no problem prior to the event that I described. I didn't log off at anytime, and I'm also like Silver, I can type so I can't see why I would be automatically logged off. It was a long post, but certainly not the longest one I have done. I only really post off 2 or 3 computers, all through AOL. Its not the end of the world, I just thought I'd let you know in the event that there was something wrong on your end. At least I know that I can copy and paste if it happens again.

Thanks again!!!
    ALS

Administrator

Well if all else fails blame AOL It may just be some odd caching issue with the ISP that causes it, its not something we can track down easily and does happen, but only a few times a week from the reports we get, almost all from major ISPs that may cache pages (the forums aernt meant to be cached, but it could happen) or from those using browsers below 5.0

Thanks
    WT

IACOJ Agitator

hmmmm....maybe if you got a real ISP!

Forum Member

Default Got milk?

May have something to do with how your browser is handling cookies. I have been scripting a new bulletin board driven by a data base and accessed through php similar to this one, and one of the difficulties I have encountered has been authenticating with cookies. If the browser is set correctly, it works every time. If the browser is handling cookies incorrectly for the script, it logs out as soon as a page is changed. Many things can affect it, how long it stores cookies, how often it clears the temporary internet files, etc. At the firehouse, someone is always messing with the settings, trying to "improve" performance. Tends to work best when the defaults are selected. Imagine that.
    I always write my responses in my mail program first, so the spelling gets checked, then cut and paste to the reply window. Good habit to get into.
    See You At The Big One

Thread Information