Default Rescue Certs - Where, How, When?

I am starting my first month of training next month for a full time FF position here in KY. I realize I will be a probie for almost a year but I would like to pick up a couple other certs as soon as I can. I worked high-ropes rescue for the BSA high adventure programs for a couple years and would like a similar cert. I am also interested in dive rescue and other similar certs. When do I need to start looking into this? I would really like to have these in the next few years, but lets face it. I know next to nothing about the fire service Give me some input and maybe even some specific certs to go after. Thanks for the input guys/gals!

God Bless

PD

See if your state has an Urban Search and Rescue Team. I took Rope Rescue 1 and 2 through my states, and it was great, probably a lot like you did in BSA. They do not really require any ff knowledge, except knots, but we reviewed that in class anyway. Your best bet is probably to talk to your training chief. We have a Tech Rescue team where people with this type of interest train, but you have to have one year on to join. If your dept. does not have it, your county or area may. Good Luck.

Default rescue courses

dive rescue international taught a great course on ice rescue. they came right to our station and all firefighters who attended were certified. you probably don't get much ice in ky, but they do offer many other rescue courses. they are list on their website at www.diverescueintl.com good luck

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help guys.
    My training chief was the obvious place to start and of course the first thing I overlooked We do have a county team here in the KY river and they pull alot of drunks and cars out of the river. I hope to get on after my year is up.
    Thanks for your help.

PD

JTL

Remember that you will learn with time.

Old Japanese saying " The more one search for knowledge, the less one find"

Old South Carolina saying " You gotsa get yo edumukation but fuist son you need ta **** before ya can sheet."

Stay safe Pro!

JTL,
    We don't say that! We say, "Ah mind is ah tearable thang."

Thread Information