Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Mandantory Commitment to Special Teams

The powers that be in my dept recently came out with a proposed SOP for the SCUBA team, saying that if they pay for the training you have to commit to 10 yrs of being on the team. I dont see how they can do that contracually when the only compensation you are recieving is overtime for the class time nothing more. Does anyone else's depts have a minimum time commitment to special teams once you undergo the training?

In our department it is 2 years. You have special initial training and quarterly mandatory drills that you receive OT for, that being your only extra "compensation". 10 years seems kind of ridiculous.

I think its a good idea for the city/Dept to require a certain amount of time in the position. However ten years is way way to long...2 years seems fare.

Forum Member

In my dept, we are required to continue working for 2 years after the dept pays for paramedic classes because of the cost. If you leave before 2 years then you have to pay the dept back for the class. If you are just starting up a team, I can understand a commitment of 2 or even up to 5 years. I say this because, what happens when the dept spends $$$$$$ on gear and training and all of a sudden knowbody wants anything to do with the team. Now the dept is stuck with all this expensive equipment and no one to use it. But if you already have a team in place I can't see more than a 2 year commitment. If this is going to be a problem, bring it up at a laybor management meeting or have your local see if they can do something about it.
    Good luck!

Weve had a scuba team for a very long time id guess 20 yrs or so, but they have never mandated a commitment before or proposed something like it.

Thread Information