Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Classes

Default Classes

I am wondering what classes you are allowed to take. In our dept., we have to be 16 to take classes. I am 15 at the time and my b-day is at the end of sept. and there is an essentials class that is going on tonight and i cant go. Which kinda sucks. But, i am just wonderin if anyone else is in this position and what kind of classes you take. Stuff like that.
    Visit us at http://www.randolphfire.org

I have been wanting to take some EMT classes, but here in Texas you have to be 18. So I am going to take a college class next year in fire science.
    BC

We fight what you fear

MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

Most of the classes in the area require that you be 16 or 18 when the class is finished. You can take a class as long as you are of age when you take the test.

Forum Member

In South Carolina to take any Fire Academy classes you have to be 18 years old. Also have to be 18 to take EMT.

In my deptartment the explorers can take anything that is not live fire or you are excluded only from the parts which are against explorer sops. As far as the fire academy you can go to the classes when we have an instructor come to the station, but cant go there. Other than that we try and train our explorers to the same level w/explorers working and learning so we dont have to train them much more when they are old enough to join, just get em gear and encourage taking an emt program.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

To take the firefigher 1 class you have to be 14 years old. To take FF 2 you have to be 16.

Default Are you sure Andrew?

Andrew I can't help but to question you.....age 14 to take Firefighter I in the state of Pennsylvania? Surely this cannot be the same Firefighter I class that is based on the IFSTA manual and Firefighter II at 16? are you sure? I don't see any reason for a Junior/Ecplorer/Cadet to have Firefighter I and II before they can even enter a Hazardous Envirement. So please check your sources
    Kenny Warr Jr.

Waldwick Fire Dept.
    Hawthorne Fire Dept. Engine Co. 3

I don't see any reason for a Junior/Ecplorer/Cadet to have Firefighter I and II before they can even enter a Hazardous Envirement.
    I dont know what the ages in PA are, but in my dept explorers get all the basic training, FF1, and learn all of the skills that their protocals/sops allow. The feeling being that if they're not trained:
    1)we have to train them later if they join the dept
    2)they're safer on the fireground having that knowledge
    3)it helps them perform there assigned roles
    4)makes them a part of the dept
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Forum Member

You should realize that it is a STATE mandated thing for the age of 16, and that is only if your department will vote you in at 16. So don't take it out on your company.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Hey mitch_rfd_ny, i am not taking any of this out on my Company. I just want know what classes are allowed in certain states. Just want to know if anyone knows of any classes that a 15 year old can take. Preferably in NY.
    Visit us at http://www.randolphfire.org

Waldwick641

I would know because I took the FF1 class at age 14 and was able to do everything. They are still able to take the class but are unable to participate in the burns. I am 16 now and I have the National and State certification for FF1. It is a 108 hour course. As for FF2, I have taken the course 4 months ago and was able to do everything. You can take the test but you cant get your certificate untill 18. There are plenty of reasons to let a junior take FF1 and 2. Why wait untill 18 to take the course. By taking it early a junior will be able to gain experience so by the time they're 18 they will have a head start.
    Please feel free to email me at Dmx6462@aol.com if you need some more sources because I can get plenty more.

Thread Information