Default Pierce Contender Custom Apparatus

I am interested in hearing from anyone about their experience with the Pierce Contender Custom fire apparatus...both positive and negative input...especially how things were upon delivery....were all things in order and if not were they cared for promptly...also how are the trucks doing after being debugged and in service for a time?....YFD4

Forum Member

My brother is a captain with the Dumas, Tx FD and they have had their custom Contender in service for about two years. It has worked very well. Hardly any problems.

Default pierce contenders custom

Thanx to bookworm from texas for the reply to the inquiry regarding pierce custom contender series. it is encouraging to learn that the rig has worked out well. this information will be useful to other area departments here in the old northeast. regards....yfd4

The Leander Fire Department has a custom Contender. Here is a link to their website. http://home.austin.rr.com/leanderfd/engine_2.htm My department has a Contender with a 4 door International chassis. The few problems we have had have been with the International chassis.

Default pirce custom contender

Thanx to the last post on this subject. I was unaware that the custom contender was built on an international chassis. Is that really so?

The custom Contender chassis is built by Pierce. My department has a commercial chassis Contender. The chassis and cab are by International, but the rest of the truck is the same as the custom Contender.

Default pierce custom contender

So then not all custom contenders are on International chassis evidently.

Pierce makes two levels in the Contender series. The Custom Contender is built on a custom chasis by Pierce. The normal Contender is available on a variety of commercial chasis (International, Kenworth, Freightliner) and is cheaper than the Custom Contender. Both trucks are available with the same size pump and compartment layout. My Department has an International chasis Contender and it has worked wonderfully for us. We are hoping to upgrade to a Custom Contender when we add another pumper in a couple of years.
    Captain 203
    FF/EMT-CT

Thread Information