Forum Member

Question Roll-up Door Brands

What brand of "roll-up" door is your department using? Are they painted,powder coated or "mill finish"?
    How are they holding up and would you buy the same ones again?

Thanks to everyone for their input.
    Lt. Dan

My input:

ROM - See many with both painted and anodized. The major advantage to painted is if it is damaged, you can remove a slat and have it painted without having to replace the slat as you would with anodized. Personally, I like the looks of wet painted doors.

Dover - This is also an excellent door. However, I do not believe they offer a wet paint finish, only have powder coat. Disadvantage to power coat is that your local paint shop can not repair the door.

Others such as Amdor, Gortite, AS America, I am unfamiliar with.

We have Dover doors on our 2001 Pierce the doors don't shine like the rest of the truck because they are powder coated, before we decided on the roll ups we looked at other trucks one of the trucks we looked at was 10 years old and the doors still looked great.
    We have had problems with our doors(scratches in the powder coat,not closing properly)after a few trips to the local Pierce rep I think they finally got them squared away.
    AJM108
    Captain Ridge Fire Dept.
    Company One

Forum Member

I've worked with a few trucks with Robinson (or ROM) doors, and also with Dover. I much prefer the Dover. They seem heavier-duty and they close more firmly and securely. And I like an unpainted metal finish on the doors. I have heard that Pierce is moving away from Dover this year, but I don't know who they're going to.
    These are my opinions and not those of the organizations for which I work and/or volunteer.

Forum Member

I doubt that Pierce is moving away from Dover doors, seeing as they own the company.

We recently changed to all roll-ups on our new trucks. We selected the ROM doors because the slats are "mechanically" coupled to one another. Some other designs use rubber to connect the slats. Also, the dished backside of the ROM helps to prevent something jamming against the back, of course if the truck is designed correctly this should not be an issue.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Forum Member

i believe pierce will be offering the "gore-tite" door as the standard roll up

Thread Information