MembersZone Subscriber

Default E-1 or American LaFrance

Looking for info / opinions on custom pumpers built by American LaFrance or E-1.
    I need to know pros & cons on both builders.
    1) Durability
    2) Downtime / Out-of-Service time during 1st year & causes.
    3) Response to fixing repairs by builders. Slow / fast ?
    4) Repairs that required the engine to be sent back to builder/plant or repairs done @ the department.
    Stuff like that.
    I'm looking for responses from the folks who really nit-pick & NOT those who are "just here for 24 hrs" & don't really care what they ride.
    Looking for info that pertains to the builder only.... not about other stuff / brands of equipment that were added to the apparatus. Also, not really needing info on the hybrids (example: ALF cab with General frame).
    Saffell
    1 Corinthians 1:18
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Forum Member

We have 2 E-Ones in service, www.oceanfire1.org go to equipment.
    We are an ocean front community so we decided to try the aluminum bodies a while ago as all the steel bodies rusted away. So far, no rust, but the aluminum stepboards do pit when not taken care of. We have not had either truck out of service for repair work for more than a day. Our local service company is about 1 1/2 hours away, and there response has been next day when it is needed. For some minor items, it has taken a day or two longer but that was agreed upon by us and them. When we purchased the first truck, we specified a 5 year maint contract in the specs, but we oopsed and did not specify the work be done at our building, so we did take a few trips to the dealer for maint work. We have not had to bring them back since our new contract. We liked the fact that the whole truck is from one manufacturer so you don't have to play the game of "that's not ours, it is xxx's". We have nothing but good things to say about our local rep, he is always available for any questions/concerns we have. We have been very happy with the 2 trucks as they have not caused us problems and do what they were designed to do.

Sorry, no experience with ALF to compare other than when we were spec'ng trucks, their price was higher.

Talking American LaFRANCE better

The company I am going to get voted on Next Tuesday (Wayne FD,NJ) has mostly E-1's cause they are the lowest bid trucks... no wonder why they are so low bid, they suck! We have 3 folders full of bills and problems with our 1996 E-1 Tower. It has been out of service more then then I have hairs on my head! *laught* our Engines are not as bad, but they are still not that all great. The older ones do not have as many problems. My Fire Brigade in Penna (Where I have my summer home and a member of the FD) has a 1970 American LaFRANCE pumper, there hasn't been many problems with it, but with the engine and we can not draft, which isn't that all bad for a 1970. If you buy American LaFRANCE you pay alittle more now, or with the E-Ones you pay alittle now and ALOT more latter.
    Take Care
    Dan M. B.
    NJ State Firefighter 1
    Passaic County Fire Acadamy
    Class of 2001
    "Let's Not Forget Our Fallen Heroes"
    9-11-01

Forum Member

Our E-One has been good to us, any difficulties we've encountered have been with electrical components that could be found on any make of custom rig. Pierce is certainly a fine rig too...you should check it out.

FFDan -- There are so many directions I could go with your post, but I won't. Just do me a favor and research the history of American LaFrance, past to present. It seems to me you are comparing apples and oranges. Thanks.
    Last edited by StayBack500FT; 05-02-2002 at 11:23 AM.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Default Key Issue

I love fire apparatus. I read about it, study it, work on it, etc. I have personnaly dealt with Pierce, Spartan, Smeal, ALF, Ward LaFrance, and a few mom & pop manufacturers that are no longer in existance. I have talked with all the major dealers and have a load of personal specs sitting in a drawer. I have talked with a lot of departments regarding their satisfaction with their current apparatus and have found one thing.

Most fire apparatus manufactures put out a decent unit. Where the biggest problems come from, is when a department begins to spec out strange and new things on their rig. It basically makes their unit a prototype and those are prone to have problems down the road. The important thing to do when spec'ing a new unit is to write a great specification for the unit you want. Make sure you put in writing about the amount and length of warranty you want, who will make repairs, and where they will be made.

Meet with each company and make them sell you a truck. Ask detailed questions about everything you can think of. You are the customer and if you are going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a vehicle, make sure you have all your bases covered.

Well, I know that this doesn't give you great detailed info, but maybe it will help.

Call E-1 and ALF, and ask for a list of departments near you who have purchased a similiar unit to what you want. Call those departments and hear what they have to say. You can get your dealers number from each appropriate web page.

Scott Reasor
    Be safe brothers

Forum Member

Check the APPARATUS INNOVATION category, you'll see a thread about ALF. I went into some detail on that one, as did others. Here I'll just say we had a lot of problems with our 2 ALFs, went back to Pierce on the new one. We have never had an E-One, so I can't say anything about them.

asaffell
    To ask people their opinion when specing out new apparatus is the wrong way to approach this problem. You will find everyone has a favorite manufacturer and they can't stand the others.

I cannot agree more with the response from kfd232. If this is the first apparatus you are writing specifications for you have alot of homework to do and not so much on the builder, but on your departments'needs. What are the driving forces that this apparatus must meet when purchased.

Have written specifications and the department has purchased Spartans,ALF,Pierce,and had Emer-ones. Like any new machine that is used a great deal we have had our problems with each and every one,luckily they have been mostly minor ones and have been taken care of. What you must do is try to learn from the previous equipment and not make the same mistakes until you feel you have the best rig for the best price that meets your departments' needs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by BCRJP
    asaffell
    To ask people their opinion when specing out new apparatus is the wrong way to approach this problem.
    I just want info & opinions. I wanted some folks to tell me their likes & dislikes of E-1 & ALF.
    Yes, I am on the Apparatus Committee. I'm not looking for specs... we have those. I just want to try & compare the 2. I know each will have those that support them & those that will never buy them again. I have been on the Apparatus Committee for a couple of years now & don't claim to know all (we have enough folks to fill in where others lack). I'm just asking a question about comparing & the likes / dislikes.
    Maybe I did not write this post very well. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I don't need specs or stuff like that, just talking about the apparatus itself.
    Thanks for the advise though.
    Saffell
    1 Corinthians 1:18
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

District Chief

Default on target

asaffell....

You are right on target. That is what this forum is for.

I think to sum it up for you I would say American LaFrance...

In simple terms...it may be more expensive....but remember...you get what you pay for....
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

We have never owned an ALF. We used to run Pierce, wich are darn good trucks. Still are I believe. We switched to E-one a few years ago due to the poor attitude of the sales representative from Pierce. (Pierce slightly dominates the area in this market) We purchased a 105' aerial platform, and a 1500 gpm pumper from E-one. So far, they have been great trucks and the sales personnel have been a pleasure to work with. Good luck.
    Mike

Sr. Information Officer

Talking Hold me back .... StayBacK!!

That's it. I've made the choice. Nobody can change my mind. I'm going out and buying it. Don't try to stop me now....not even you StayBack, cause I'm spending the money on a big, bright, brand new, shiny, low maintenance, low cost, lotsa chrome, a big bell, radio equipped

here it comes......

1970 American LaFrance Pumper! Thank you....I feel better now.

Dan...take Staybacks' advice....please!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information