Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Are there members of your union apart of a vol. department?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 68.18%
  • No

6 27.27%
  • Don't know

1 4.55%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vol. officers?

Question Vol. officers?

Well there is a similar subject that I haven't seen much on lately. Numerous departments have union firefighters that are commanded by vol. officers that are union members from other departments.

Be careful, Webteam targets these threads and shuts them down!
    But to answer your question. Yes, Volunteer officers in my jurisdiction command career staff and vice versa. I am a a volunteer officer and I sometimes ride OIC with 2 career firefighters in the back and one driving. It all depends if I am in the station and the career officer has to leave for some reason. Also, if there are volunteers around during career hours (7a-3p) we will ride under the career Captain. It works well, no big problems here as there are in some other stations in our county. Basically it is written that during career hours, the career Captain is in charge. We have no problem with that, and our captain is very competent and works well with the volunteers.
    You Waste your time, YOUR LINE IS MINE!

This is the same post as before just worded differently. Ya gotta go and start this crap on the PAID board and not the VOLLY board, right? You must be insecure in your position as an officer.

Insecure? Not a chance. However, wherever there is a question about Volunteers in a Combo department, I will appear, I do not care if it is in the "Wildland" firefighter forum.

Here is an Idea to pose to the Webteam. How about creating a Forum for "Combination Departments" and issues surrounding them. Because a Career Firefighter in a large city Department with little or no volunteers may not have the same issue as a career firefighter in a smaller urban or suburban county that has a large number of volunteers as well. I think it would stop the "you dont belong on OUR forum" type responses for both sides.

MembersZone Subscriber

the hole thing here kids is that we have a better chance of makin fires if you belong to a paid and a vol dept. it realy dosent matter who the officer is , if he or hopefully not she is qualified to take charge of the incident. unoins are great but in the fire service all they can do is negociate. we cant strike . ive been doing this for 30 yrs, now and we just have to roll with the punches and do the job we love to do .....FIGHT FIRES.....be safe

Are you kidding !!!

Our contract will not allow any of us to work outside the department on any fire related jobs...

This was a convient outcome of the Heart & Lung Bill, but it became more convient for our administration to limit our outside involvement in other communities...

ODDLY Enough, our administration does allow outside FF/MEDICS to work on our department part-time...

Thread Information