Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Such a thing as "ENOUGH SCOTCH"???

Since we're "off duty" here, my wife seems to think I have enough Single malt Scotches in the house. I don't think there are enough.

My question is this for the Scotch drinkers:

What's the best single malt scotch you've ever tasted?

Please add, what scotch do you drink (daily)? You know, the less expensive but still tasty stuff.

Thumbs up

A good single malt is Glen Livet 12 yr, and I can afford it once in a while too!
    The one I drink the most would be Johnny Walker Black, but if you have a spare 175 bucks or so, try JW Blue.
    Also, try this, your favorite scotch with 1 ice cube and some frozen mint girl scout cookies...mmmmmm good!
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Artie...

Tell Mrs. E ngine Lt that you can't be too rich, too thin, have too many leather helmets or have too much Scotch!

I'll have a Scotch once in a while, I really don't know much about them... but I do have my own personal quest, and that is to sample the finest beers, ales, porters and stouts in the world! I love microbreweries and brewpubs...there's nothing better than good food and a fine brew. As John Molson stated many years ago..."an honest brew makes it's own friends."
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I am with Gonzo, Beer, beer and more beer. Stouts are awesome. Artie, there is definitely no such thing as too much scotch. The ffod network had a really good show on about a month ago that was all about scotch. It explained the difference between single malt and blended.

I am a fan of Old Bushmills (not scotch, but close)

Dave

I am rather partial to Famous Grouse scotch. But prefer the Irish whiskey, Jameson.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

MembersZone Subscriber

My father always said that Scotch was invented by the devil to keep the Irish poor!

I'm with shammrock54, give me some Jameson's (preferably Jameson 1780) or give me a ride to the next pub
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

I recomend if you are ever in IRELAND to check out a small family brand called MCnaulty. Centuries of perfection cant be wrong. Not available in the US or canada.
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

Don't drink too much Scotch myself, so I can't comment on that. When you say Irish Whisky...all I can think of is "Grace". Smoothest drink that has ever passed my lips!

But for day to day, gotta go with Gonzo on this. Stouts, amber ale, dopple bocks, are my favs.

Motown...it isn't fair to tempt us with what we cannot have...wait a minute, come to think of it, that was temptation is...sorry!

While on the subject of Guinness, the other day the wife and I went to Sully's First Edition Pub. I ordered a pint of the stout also known as the "nectar of the Gods"..when it came to the table, there was no cascade!!!...just a regular head that would be found on any pint of draught.

I mentioned to the waitress (a family friend) that if they are going to serve Guinness, the least they could do is learn how to pour it properly!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

THEY DARE TO BRING THIS SUBSTANDARD GUINNESS TO MY TABLE???????? BULLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

Scotch.....yuck!!!! Now give me a single barrell bottle of Jack Daniels.....Yummm Heavenly!!!

Default hee, hee, hee

God invented alcohol to keep the Irish from ruling the world.
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking

Read this one and just couldn't resist. For Scotch, well that's a tough one. Greatest preferences are Lagvulin and Dahlwinnie.

But on the other hand I also have to agree with Capt Gonzo too - there cannot never be too much Guiness either. Seems to me the two of them go hand in hand.

On the subject of not pouring it properly, well the barman should be shot with a 2-1/2" pumping foam, cuz apparently he needs to be edjamecated on how to make the "perfect Guiness"!!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member
    Drifting on a raft in the Carribean Ocean listening to Buffet.

I know that this may not qualify, but Heathers Cream Liquar is really good. It's an after dinner liquar. It is one of the smoothest Scotch drinks I have ever had. A little on the expensive side, but not to bad.

Default Laphroaig and Guiness

http://www.scotchwhisky.com/english/...s/laphroab.htm

This sets me all misty eyed.

Back from a call with a pint of Guiness and a shot of neat laphroaig.

KIWI

Laphroaig, now we're talking 1 malt! To date I have found nothing finer than Dahlmer's Stillman's Dram, a 30 year old 1 malt which rates up there with sex, money and fire.

Tell ya what Loo,
    Next time we get together, you pick the place, and the drinks, I'M buying.

Personally I am more of a beer man myself. And prolly much to the shagrin of Gonzo and Motown, I am more of a light beer drinker, one Guiness and I am so full I cant drink any more. Now what fun is that? Gimme 5-6 Labatt Blue and I am a happy man!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

OK Lewiston2capt, I gotta ask: I see that you sign in from Niagra Falls, NY, now I gotta ask you, your reference to Labbatt Blue: is that the home grown Canadian version, or is it the watered down export stuff that we send out to all the less fortunates around the world? Your answer will make a differnence between quantity and quality....

I ask this as a true blue, born and raised Canadian, albeit a West Coast boy from which everything flows downhill from here. In any case, have a shot on me the next time your out.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Malahat Two-7
    Being that I am only 10 minutes from the border I have partaken of both the home grown Canadian version and the watered down three week old stuff that we get on this side of the border. I admit I prefer the canadian version. Although even the watered down stuff is pretty good.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Shawn and Malahat

After many trips across the border to the north, I can't help but remember the fine Labatt 40. Anyone up for a Smuggler's run? I only require 10-20 cases, that should do for the summer.

Ah, to be on St. Cathrines Blvd. again.

Thread Information