View Poll Results: What time is bedtime?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • 21:00

7 18.42%
  • 21:30

2 5.26%
  • 22:00

12 31.58%
  • Later....

17 44.74%

Thread: Bedtime

Forum Member

Question Bedtime

What time is the allowable time for you to turn into the fartsack at the Station? We usually don't hit the sheets until after 22:00. It has been known to turn in about 21:30 if we didn't get the after-lunch nap

*Mark

While my admin.is pretty stiff on what you can't do during 08-17:00 hours and unless we have an evening drill or CME which are increasing they still say that after 17:00 is our time and in theory that means sack time if you want to. We are also given the luxury of after 13:00 on Holidays and Sundays. The only hard rule is to cease incoming phone calls and to get rid of most vistors after 21:30. I remember a fellow when I first came on who would sit on the edge of his rack until EXACTLY 20:00 and then he was down for the night, his reason was that when the big one comes in at 3 AM he would have 7 hours sleep under his belt while the rest of us would only have 3 or 4, he was also the first one up around 5:30 and would sometimes fix us a nice fresh coffe cake or some sweet rolls for a nice little snack before going home in the morning. I myself stay up till 23:00 or later, sometimes 1 AM on a regular basis, but I have nothing to do on my days off so naps are easy to get if needed.

Forum Member

In an old copy of the Department Rules and Regulations dating back to the 1950's, there was a section that mentioned "sleeptime"...one could not hit the rack until 22:00 hours and had to be up by 07:00. Anytime a truck went out during the night, all personnel had to get up regardless of the Station or truck they were assigned to and had to stay up until the apparatus returned to quarters.

Of course, that was in the days when the average year had between 300 and 400 incidents a year... now we average 5800 to 5900 calls a year!

We can turn in anytime during our night tours...no restrictions. There have been times where I have gone into room after my duties of making the out the radio and riding assignments, turned on the TV and didn't get up till shift change. It makes up for the times we are out all night!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Ops manual says 22:00 for lights out, but I frequently stay up later doing personal fatigue laundry past 01:00 so I'll have duds for next day. But I live to be what I am.
    See You At The Big One

Forum Member

In my house we run a single engine company. We are almost always in bed by 22:00 nearly every night. We are usually up by 07:00 for chores and breakfast. Weekends and Holidays are nice, a very lax day. That would suck having to get up and stay up for other Companies calls. We wouldn't sleep a damn wink!
    Thanks for the replies....

*Mark

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ZZZZZZZZZ

2200 for our dept. but nobody can tell you not to fall asleep in the easy chairs in the day room when all the work is done.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Forum Member

We can sleep during lunch which is from 11:00 to 1:00 then after 5:00 you can sleep if u want to. Traditionally most guys go to bed about 9:00 at night some later though. You can nap on Saturdays after chores, pump testing, and if nothing else is going on. All day Sunday and Holidays if u choose.

They call me third watch for a reason, stayed up to all hours of the night, went home in the morning and straight to bed.

It is getting harder for me to sleep on the ladder truck, damn thing keeps starting and going to fires. How can a guy sleep under those circumstances.

Oh well I am headed to bed soon, just let me grab my hook and teddy bear and off I go.

Naw im not ate up, im already digested.

MembersZone Subscriber

21:00, 21:30, 22:00 these sound more like the times to announce "CHOW"S ON"

Thumbs up

Have to agree with Lt on this one......most fairly busy units are just about eating come 10-11PM, providing they do not catch a job and then eat at 1AM?
    In the slower units where every other guy has a second business to run, you'll see members disappear as early as possible, unless there's a Drill or Chief's Visit scheduled. All in all, most good and busy houses the members are up and around until about 1 AM!
    BOTTOM LINE: There's probably regs on it, but most FDNY Houses are not strick on things like "bedtime".....unless you miss the run..........(then)
    Last edited by FDNYRR; 05-06-2002 at 09:12 PM.
    "All gave some...Some gave all!"
    9/11/01 Lest we forget!
    FDNYRR

MembersZone Subscriber

".....unless you miss the run..........(then).......
    ToeTag the run ticket and buckets of ICE!!!!!!!

City of Tulare Fire Department, Tulare, Ca.

SOP's state that members may retire after 2000 hrs, but must retire no later than 0100 hrs. Most guys are in bed by 2200 hrs., same for me, unless not tired or there is a good movie on cable. Weekends we knock off by noon if all work is done. Up time is by 0730 hrs, buy most guys are up by 0600 hrs.

Forum Member

I'd be happy to stay up way later if we were a busy station like FDNY, but we're not... So I'll enjoy my rest most every night. Seems like we get busted out at night and not hardly at all during the day. Doesn't compare to most of you tho

*Mark

Thread Information