Default lack of training

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate your thoughts on this, any ideas on how to get the point across etc. The article mentions that it would cost only $500,000 to train all Canadian FF, we spent more than that on security upgrades at our local airport.

Firefighters lobby for terror training
    Copyright 2002 Toronto Star Newspapers, Ltd.
    The Guelph Mercury...04/30/2002

Firefighters want more hazardous material training to prepare for potential terrorist attacks and they have taken that message to Ottawa.

"We are the front line," said John Cormier, a firefighter from Red Deer, Alta.

"If we can't deal with this properly, we're putting ourselves and the public in danger."

Cormier was one of 110 members of the International Association of Fire Fighters who went to Ottawa recently to lobby politicians for the increased training.

"They still don't recognize we need it," Cormier said. "I thought this was the year. The writing is on the wall. They have to do something."

An American training program for chemical, biological, radiological and explosive attacks is available.

It would cost $ 500,000 annually to train all Canadian firefighters and that is a drop in the bucket compared with the millions spent on security since Sept. 11, Cormier said.

MembersZone Subscriber

Temp, it seems to me that it is just as important, if not more important for Canadian fire fighters to get this training. I have two reasons;
    1. As a contiguous nation to the US, this crap will not stop spreading at the border. Also, as a longtime, loyal ally of the US, Canada could conceivably be a target.

2. It has been documented that Canada is a favorite entrypoint for potential terrorists into the US. The open border is very inviting and accomodating. It is not out of the realm of possibility that WMD's could be manufactured in Canada for use in the US.

$500,000 is a small price to pay. I'll bet that it could be done cheaper using a train-the trainer approach and letting guys teach it in their own departments.

Good luck

George

I have to agree with you. I can't believe that the Gov, federal or provincial can't see their way clear to authorize this money. It is a joke really.

Our borders an open invitation... everything about this country is an open invitation. Vancouver is the easiest port in North America to illegally land at. When you do land, and we catch you, we don't send you back to where you came from... no that would be inhumain... we feed you and cloth you and teach you English. You remember the refugees a year or two ago? Well we spent over 8000 dollars a MONTH on each one of them. AFTER we found out that there was a very definate link to the Triads. What's wrong with this picture?

Personally I would be really happy if Bush said send in the army, I want BC. My money would be worth more, my gas would be cheaper, health care would probably be better since you have to wait a year for surgery up here, the benefits are huge. The Canadian gov, would sit by and do absolutely nothing. The rest of the world would watch and say it was bound to happen sometime.

You know I'm sure the only reason why no has tried to invade Canada is because big brother is our nearest neighbour, and the US would come in and kick their butt. Our military couldn't do anything. It is so frustrating living here sometimes. The gov spends huge amounts of money on things that they NEVER actually use. 12 Billion dollars on a satalite system that has been sitting in a warehouse for the last 3 years and will never be sent up. When it comes to doing something that will actually protect the population of the country the say there is no money. What a load of BS.

Sorry I needed to spew a bit there. It just really bugs me, when there is a system that can and should be implemented and isn't because of a line of BS. Funny how there is always money for the politians to get raise though isn't it!

Thread Information