Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Listening to calls at night in bed

How do your significant others respond or deal with the scanner/minitor on at night? It pretty much drives my old lady nuts and we've had many a bicker about it in the morning (aawwww, she's just cranky cause she didn't get any sleep... ) I have a minitor and it only broadcasts the dispatch channel, but that can get pretty busy with all the tones and everything. Just looking for some solutions (besides sleeping on the couch or in another room) or ideas from my bro's and sis's who have delt with this before.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a minitor 3 with the silent alert. I usually have the pager turned down as low as it can, or on silent mode sitting on the nightstand. We don't get many callbacks at night so it hasn't been that big of a deal.
    If my wife or I have a real busy day planned then sometimes it just gets shut off. Have I missed calls that way, sure but no department is worth your family.
    As kind of a trade off I don't usually leave the scanner on much while I'm awake, my wife likes the quiet.

Also if you were on the department before getting maried then she should know and be somewhat use to the pager.

Good Luck

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

both the minitor 2 and 3's have the silent alert like ADSN/WFLD mentioned. if your's isn't working you may need to get it checked. i usually keep the scanner off or low at night and i usually only listen to it when my wife is not home. i usually keep the scanner in my study or in the kitchen, depending on where i am spending most of my time. also some of the handhelds act like the minitors and beep when specific tones are activated. but now my wife can sleep through the racket and noise while i spring out of bed. hopes this helps you some.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

No problem here, we have 2 fire pagers and 2 rescue pagers here. whole family (all 3 of us) are on our fire dept and rescue squad. (Hoffman Fire & Rescue) but my mom does fuss every now and then if we have them on monitor and turned up too loud.

Question

Weren't you the one Screaming about "Silly Threads" in another post?
    Helmet colors, Listening to Squirrel Pagers and Scanners for the Heck of it? Jeez, how can some of you take so much Fire Department? After 8-10 hours at the Firehouse (Volunteer) the last thing I want to do when I come home is hear that Freaking Scanner! I have a minitor pager as well, its in a box, in a closet with no battery in it. Ok guys, I am just Busting your Chops here..........Seriously, my Department in PG County Maryland has Alpha Pagers, if the incident is significant enough I might leave home and go to the firehouse, but I live so far away that by the time I got there, the incident would more than likely be overwith. Only a few drivers that live in the area have Minitors and they do not usually come up unless we need a Tillerman because we have a Paid driver there 24/7. Sometimes if there is a Volunteer Driver sleeping in, we will run 2 Engines or Engine/Truck, but mostly they just come up and staff a second crew until the Wagon or Tuck gets back from the original call. Having a tiller truck is hard because of a lackof available people qualified to tiller. I try to sleep in every 2 nights or so because I am one of only 4 or 5 people that can tiller. Anyone else out there with Tractor Drawn Aerials that have the same problem??
    You Waste your time, YOUR LINE IS MINE!

I have a Minitor II with alert. At night I turn it to alert with the volume on the pager itself all the way down. I put it in the amplifier which is kind of cranked up (I can be a heavy sleeper). As soon as I wake up, I pop it out so I can hear the call at low volume while getting ready. Then I'm gone, pager with me. I leave the amber "alert" light on on the amp until I get home in case my wife wakes up and wonders where I've gone.
    I have the Minitor on monitor during the day usually, sometimes you'll get a heads-up a minute before a call (ie - "Dispatch, call co.2 to quarters"). Not sure why I'd want to listen to other companies get dispatched in the middle of the night though....

My better half didn't care for it to much at first. I have both my Minitor II w/ amplified charger and a scanner on the nightstand on my side of the bed. I do keep the vol. on the scanner turned down to the point where you can only hear it when the TV is off and it's quite in the room. She usually doesn't even know when I get up at night for calls, she sleeps right through them. She has even begun to understand what they are saying, (as she puts it) and listens to hear what's going on (that is when she does wake up)
    Lynn Fernbaugh
    Washington Fire Co. #1
    Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
    www.washies.org

I figure, if I'm up, everyone in the house is gonna be up. I run with a rescue squad and fire department. If my FD gets a call, I leave my rescue pager home, volume up, and everyone hears the enitre call. For the past 3 years its been, "Oops, sorry"

Talking

I consider myself very lucky that my wife's dad has been a volunteer with a neighboring district for most of her life and the sounds of plectrons and scanners does not bother her. As a matter of fact when we first met she had no intentions of dating much less marrying a firefighter. But now when I get a call she will ask me to set the scanners up with the frequencies that we may operate on and she will listen to the call.
    Jeffrey D. Grey-Lieutenant
    Roosevelt Fire District-Hyde Park,N.Y.

Remember the basics...

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Talking No Problem

Hmmmm, with three scanners and a VHF transceiver listening to 5 counties in NJ and 4 counties in NY....along with all the forest fire frequencies, my wife and I get along just fine.

Of course....she's in San Jose and I'm NJ!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

My ex-wife (key word "EX") HATED the pagers and scanners going in the house. I had to almost sleep with my pager under my pillow to keep her from turning the thing off when she got up for her midnight potty break!

My NEW mate is wonderful.
    We have three pagers in the bedroom, all on alert, two for the volly dept and 1 for the paid. There's a scanner in the living room that get's turned down at night and a plectron in the office near the cold air return. The plectron stays on monitor 24/7 and can be heard throughout the house if it's quiet (built in house speaker system, try it!). It took some fiddling with it, but we finally got the volume just right, it doesn't echo off the plenum, nor will it wake me up in the middle of the night.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Minitor 3 operators manual for wife:

1) The rubberized button on the top corner of the pager will reset it to "PRIVATE". Press this button. You will hear no more radio traffic.

2) Go back to bed.

This procedure has been tested under real-world conditions (my house) for the past 13 years with few problems. Try it, it works.....

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Most of those scanners and pagers have jacks built in for earphones. You might run to your local Radio Shack and get one of those ear piece recievers if this is so much of a problem.

You could also place the pager/scanner under your pillow. The only problem with this solution is that the Pager/Scanner Fairy might come in the night and leave you only a shiney silver dollar. Not quite the replacement cost.

The Doc is out now.

1) The rubberized button on the top corner of the pager will reset it to "PRIVATE". Press this button. You will hear no more radio traffic.
    Same with the II`s, leave it on closed, and if the tones drop and you aren`t needed, just hit that button again. There`s really no need to keep it open at night if it bothers everyone. At my house my Dad has his plectron on which wakes him, I`ve got my pager next to my bed cranked up on closed, and my Dad`s 3 down in the family room. If the tones drop at night, we usually know it. I slept through a medical call the other night though, I couldn`t bealive it.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Let me see if I have this question right. You leave your pager on monitor AND have a scanner on your night stand on all night. Is that correct?

If so may I ask why? Doesn't the alert part of your pager work? I can only see one reason for having them both on. That is because you are one of those guys that listens for a neighboring FD to have a worker and then you get up, get dressed, and maybe even head down to the FD before you are called. Man, I never have understood that type of guy. Why is the loss of restful sleep worth the few seconds jump on a call? I am as fanatical as the next guy, but my pager is hardly ever on monitor and I honestly can't even remember when I turned on my scanner last. I have long thought that if the neighbors want us at a call they can page us and then I will respond. My life is way too busy to be getting up for no reason at night or running down to the station for when we might get called to the "BIG" one.

I can readily understand a spouse's annoyance at the constant "meaningless" chatter of a scanner or open pager during sleep time. It would seem to me marital bliss would overcome the need for a jump start on a call.

My opinion and it carries no weight unless you let it. Have a nice day.

Red face Yes I do

Yes I do listen to calls at nite in bed. What I do is put my pager in the amp turn it over to alert. I the scanner is next to my head so I still hear the county fire dispatch but it ani't as loud. this also gives me a better time to the staion since Dorchester county has such a terrible time of dispatching calls that are handed to them from the Sheriff office or State Police. If you know what I am talking about!
    Fire Fighter Justin Koshar

Forum Member

Cool

My wife is a volunteer EMT & I'm a volunteer Firefighter and First Responder; before we had pagers assigned to us, we had to show we were going to show up, so we got a scanner and have had it on during the day ever since (got pagers about 6 months after joining). We keep the scanner pretty low, but if we hear our tones going off (and believe me, I can recoginize our tones even if they're barely audible) and I happen to be in a spot in the house where the Minitor doesn't pick up so well (TV room, for one) I'll still know to go. At night my Minitor and her Two-way both go on alert mode; I'm not all that intrested in hearing about a trash can fire on the other side of the county at 3am. But during the day, there's been a few times where I've listened in on a big brush fire, only to be called out to it half an hour later. Knowing in advance about where they were and what they were up against may have helped a little.

I agree with everyone who says your personal life is more important than keeping a scanner on at night. It seems especally silly since pagers are built with the very feature that would keep harmony at night. Good luck!

like a few of you have allready said, my wife is also a member of the dept. we share a pager and it stays wherever we are. is it always on? heck no!! you gotta live sometimes! lol we usually discuss "running calls" before our heads hit the pillows and if one of us is in the mood, the pager stays on. if we are in the "other" mood, off it goes!!we have a minitor III and channel A is our station only (where it stays for that particular evening). when either of us has duty, the pager is located with the other.
    "ONE nation UNDER God"

Talking

As a significant other, the most I listen to is his pager, either in the charger or attached to his hip when we go out. We also have a scanner, which I never turn on unless there is a call he is responding to. Most times when there is a tone, I turn on my scanner to monitor what is going on. I get worried when he goes out on a call, no matter what time it is when the tones go out. But I will not turn on the scanner at all unless the tones go out. When we go to bed, his pager is plugged into the charger in the living room, and the scanner is off. We both hear the tones when they go off for the call. He responds, and I turn on the scanner to listen to what's going on. And I will know when he is ready to come home, and I will know if he needs food, or if he needs comforting, or if he needs to be left alone for a while. But otherwise, the scanner is off, ( we don't need to hear what the other departments are doing). Sleeping with a pager and a scanner at your bedside is telling me that you want to be first at the call, and, it tells me you are a probie wanting to be first at the call. Very dangerous in my opinion. I suggest that you listen to YOUR significant other.

To me listening to calls in bed doesn't really matter I guess because my dad keeps his monitor in his room and if it goes off I don't hear it. However I can hear the scanner in our living room and I can hear the fire siren go off and I can hear my dad run through the house and I can hear the sirens on his truck as he leaves the house. So even if I had a monitor in my room one way or the other I'm going to be woke up by him. But I guess being woke up in the middle of the night is a small price to pay to have your dad or your husband be a hero.

Thread Information