Angry SHL Landy Jacobs Assessment Centers

I just completed an Landy Jacobs Assessment center for the rank of Captain. I used the outline they recommended in their candidate prep guide, hit all the points, was very well prepared, excellent communication, and received crappy scores. It seems the more practiced and polished your presentation was the worse your score. The outline that had worked well for other candidates in previous Landy Jacobs tests were snubbed in this one. Are there any classes out there (anywhere in the US) that helps prepare you for these? It is no fun putting your 6 months of study and preparation down the drain with 6 assessors who had one afternoon of training in how to be an assessor and 1 hour with your administration (chiefs) learning how your department works. Any other comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.

John
    Tulsa Oklahoma

Forum Member

Any assessment center that is used to assess and make recommendations for the purpose of promoting fire service personnel should use personnel that have a fire service background and experience in the appropriate rank of company officer that the candidate is being assessed for.

Would a hospital use someone who had 6 hours of training in assessment and one hour of training with the Chief of Surgery on hospital and surgical protocols to assess the next group of potential surgeons? I think not!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information