BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Help me convince my department

I am having a bit of writer's block and I need some ideas...

I am trying to convince my department to allow us to wear Leather helmets. What I am having trouble coming up with, is a number of reasons why Leather is better than soup bowls and fake wannabe tradional helmets.

If you were attempting to persuade your Chief or Board of Fire Commissioners, how would you do it?
    Last edited by BUGGY5632; 05-06-2002 at 04:56 AM.

District Chief

I can tell you from experience in dealing with budgets that if the City is paying for your equipment you will have a hard time pursuading them to go to a more expensive helmet. Try getting them to go to the traditional style helmet and then offer the option of letting the firefighters purchase the Leather for the difference. Set it up as a payroll deduction until paid for or something.

Trying to convince them to just outright buy them is gonna be hard. They will say......If the one you are wearing is compliant then why do we need to change. One could argue that historically a leather helmet will last much much longer than the others if the wearer takes care of it.

Good luck
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

My department offers the metro style. We are allowed to wear traditional composites or leather, but we must purchase them ourselves. I think the one guy on our department with a leather lid had to sign a waiver because of the weight.

Leathers are cool, but keep in mind that not everyone can wear them. For some smaller people like myself, they're too heavy. I don't need trapz the size of my thighs. I still wanna look like a chick!
    Spec. Krista M. Aukeman, United States Army

Some day, in years to come, you will be wrestling with the great temptation, or trembling under the great sorrow of your life. But the real struggle is here, now, in these quiet weeks. Now it is being decided whether, in the day of your supreme sorrow or temptation, you shall miserably fail or gloriously conquer. Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process.
    - Phillips Brooks

Forum Member

Default MOOOO LIDS OR A SALAD BOWL????

The cost should be the selling point. A leather can last a career or close to it. The salad bowl or tactical tupperware as I like to call it a few years at best. Ask a old timer on your department how many salad bowls he has had to endure in his carreer multiply that by the running cost of the of your standard salad bowl and you will be suprised how much money the department has had to shell out for new plastic lids. Heavier perhaps a little but who cares.
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

JTL

Money, money, money, money..............MONEY - The O'Jays I think!

Anyway while Motown makes a good point it will come down to cash dollars and the wash basin metro is the choice. Good luck, be inventive, and whatever you do, do it with gusto.

BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Some good points guys, could use some more!

Yes, the OJay's did sing that song and even though I am 30, I remember and still love that song.

The idea is that we have a few members that have bought helmets and have been unable to place them in service because the Commissioners would not allow them to be worn. We do have the Cairns 1010 Tactical Tupperware wannabe helmets, but I hate it. I have an N5A that is ready to be put into service. I just need the OK! Keep some more ideas coming!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Buggy5632:
    Wear a five dollar helmet if you have a five dollar head! If the helmet that you want to wear meets or beats the standard and you shelled out the money for it, I would think that the commissioners would jump at the chance at saving their gear for the next guy. It's money in the bank if guys want to buy their own helmets. And it's all about attitude. Alot of cops buy their own sidearms. Firefighters buy their own helmets and take them when they retire. It is time-cherished tradition. You're a firefighter; not a Shriner, are you?
    Like JTL said, if you do it, do it with GUSTO!
    Stay safe.

Thread Information