Default Federal holidays and the 56-60 hour work week?

I was just wondering how other departments handled federal holidays concerning their 56 and sixty hour work week personnel (Chiefs, and Inspectors). Do they get the holiday off or do they have to take annual leave? I have worked in places where you get the holiday off and places where you don't. I was wondering what was the most common nationwide. A colleague of mine says it is illegal to get the federal holiday off if you are on a 56 hour schedule. That doesn't sound right to me, but I may be mistaken. I have been wrong before.

Forum Member

Ther are some conditions on the schedule. It appears that the difference is related to some working the 56 hour firefighter schedule or are they working the 40 hrs plus schedule. Normally the 40 hour plus people work one 24 hour shift per week.

Get a copy of the firefighters pay rules from your timekeeper or union. Be prepared to read it a number of times before you understand it and do not be surprised at different interpertations of the same sentence.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

The way we work it is, if you happen to be on shift during the Holiday then you work a regular day, if you are off then you are off, We elected to get one (HOLIDAY) check a year. ALL of us whether we are on or off shift get paid for the Holidays.

We get about $2000.00 in December which turns out to be a nice X-mas bonus for us. This way we have some $$ for the Holdiays and we are not fighting every year for the shifts that work on the most Holidays in any given year.

Front line since 1983 and still going strong

That holiday pay thing sounds great! I don't know if the federal government would ever go for it. I'm not sure if our guys on shift get holiday pay or not when they work a federal holiday.

That holiday pay thing sounds great! I don't know if the federal government would ever go for it. I'm not sure if our guys on shift get holiday pay or not when they work a federal holiday.

Default Federal Holidays

For those in the GS-081 series who are not dispatchers (different GS rating) and not 40 hour employees you must either work the federal holiday or take annual leave to have the day off. Until recently those administrative personnel deigned to be non-essential for the holiday could be given administarative leave by the installation commander. However the pay change three years ago took into consideration those federal holidays, adjusted annual; pay to include them and considered them workdays for all employees. It took the Comptroller General a while to catch up though and it has only been in the last 18 months that enforcement has been done on the practice.
    If you are still doing the old admin leave letter thing or any other shift switching schedule thing then you need to watch out that you don't get hit for back money or leave pay back if and when your comptroller finally catches up with the right way of doing things. You should know that the Comptroller general sends out a newsletter and notes itesm that are new or changed on a regular basis. This item has not hit the newsletter yet but its only a matter of time. Most local Comptrollers don't like the admin time things anyhow so be forewarned.

Stay safe
    Herb

Wow! That explains it quite well. I'm not really up to speed on comptroller items, but that does make sense. It's kind of funny how nobody ever knows the whole story on things like this, only bits and pieces.

Forum Member

Default Herb is Right

We received a message down through Air Force several months ago. 56 or 60 either work their scheduled days or take leave. If you're not complying with this, be ready. It took about 4 years for DOD to give back moneys they owed firefighters for the big leave problem back in the 80's. But I'll bet they will take what they're owed in short order. I'll try to find a copy of the message and post it here. E-mail me if you haven't heard about this yet.

Joe

Thread Information