41 80.39%
  • I prefer Rubber Bunker Boots

6 11.76%
  • Leather is Safer

4 7.84%
  • Rubber is Safer

0 0%

Thumbs down Leather Vs Rubber Bunker Boots

I am compileing information to indicate the need for changeing from rubber to leather. Please send me your comments for both types good or bad.

If anyone has completed a study for your department I would greatly appreciate the results, as well if you could include which type of rubber or leather boots you are most happy with. My department thrives on all this information.

Thanks and I appreciate all your input!

Big C
    Last edited by BigC96; 05-06-2002 at 10:57 PM.
    "It's Not Just a Job, It really is an adventure!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Leather!

I have to say up front that I sell fire equpment. Which includes most brands of boots. When I would sell leather boots everyone would say "You have to try Leather, you'll never wear rubber again." Well I bought a pair of Pro Warrington Leathers after a while and shortly there after bought a second pair for my side job.

Like everyone told me I won't wear rubber again. I could wear my leather boots all day if I needed to. Rubber boots I would want to take them off after an hour or so.

Hope this helps.

P.P.

Forum Member

Hands down leather. They are more comfortable and much lighter.

Forum Member

I wear the leathers, but here in New England, the winters and the ice make wearing leather boots an adventure sometimes. For some reason, they dont have good traction on ice and snow. I took a good spill at a job a couple of winters ago, so what I do now is when the cold weather arrives, I switch back to my spare rubber jobs. As long as they are the newer, form fitting rubbber, they are no too terrible, and I just switch back when the weather breaks. Overall, though, no comparison. Leather on my feet and head, and I'm good to go.

Leroy140
    Leroy140 Fairfield, CT Local 1426

City of Tulare Fire Department, Tulare, Ca.

Our department just switched to leather boots, boy why did they wait so long! Hands down, leather boots are the only boot that I will wear from now on!!!

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I know it's like proverberlly "Urinating into the wind", but I have tried the rubbers, and I have tried the leathers. Even though the leathers are VERY comfortable, I have a problem with them tending to sag a little bit. Now rubbers on the other hand, although hot and sometimes uncomfortable, they hold up better, and it seems they support my big foot/ankle/leg combo better. Just my .02 cents.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

District Chief

Leather are more comfortable and way less stressful on you. A bit more expensive.....but lighter in my opinion
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

I have had Warrington PRO's for at least four years now and they seem to hold up the best. I have had freinds who purchased other types of leather boots which wore out within two years. The only problem I have had with the Warrington's are the heels seem to lossen up over time. Good luck!!

Thumbs up

Like wearing a pair of tennis-shoes. (ok, maybe a little exageration but they are very comfortable)
    Alan B.

"Firefighters do it better in leather"

MembersZone Subscriber

Started out in rubber boots at the volulteer department. I didn't like them, but that was what we had, and I didn't know any better.

Took a job on a combo department. Got a pair of leather pull-ons. Loved them. Sooo comfy.

Went back to the volunteer department (and the rubber boots). Got depressed.

Volunteer department bought us leather boots. Smiled.

The new boots zip up the front. I don't know how I feel about that yet.

Hands down, leather are so much more comfortable and flexible.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Leather all the way!!!!!! I would wear mine all the time if I didn't have to pay so much for them!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Leather Forever!!! Much more comfortable.

MembersZone Subscriber

rubber more better, a littol bit larger fit , allows a littol more air between fire and feet
    this is from an old head

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down leather/rubber

leather boots take too long to get on and take off
    when they get wet they shrink
    make a long hot fire, youe feet get hotter
    they mildew in locker between shift
    i realy dont care for them

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to say that the leathers are much more flexible than the rubbers. I feel like my footing is much better when climbing ladders or on roofs. The rubber boots just don't have any give and are real stiff. I have not had any problems out of my Warringtons and I have been wearing them for about six years now. Warrington has done several studies regarding the benefits of leather over rubber. That might be some good information to assist you in your research.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to say that the leathers are much more flexible and comfortable than the rubbers. I feel like my footing is much better when climbing ladders or on roofs. The rubber boots just don't have any give and are real stiff. I have not had any problems out of my Warringtons and I have been wearing them for about six years now. Warrington has done several studies regarding the benefits of leather over rubber. That might be some good information to assist you in your research.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default leather/rubber

afd, i guess im just used to rubber boots, the ones in hou. are rubber bottoms with leather tops , i like them. hell i still miss long coats and pull-ups. ive just had probs, with the leather boots they seem tooooo small
    Ques .i wonder how hazmat stuff reacts with the leather

Thread Information