Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Angry Question about live dispatch.....

OK, I haven't been into the forums here in over a year, mostly because I'm running an old browser that this site just KILLS so I brows as much of the site as possible but never seem to make it to the forums anymore. I do our fire department's web page now on the page I added last summer a live dispatch feed. No big deal other Counties and Cities in the state did it before and have since added their own. Well last Wednesday my Lt. stopped at the house and told me our town's police chief got a call from some "pretty high up people" checking on me. He said I've been added to their list as a possible threat and the web page was added to the list of "threats to national homeland secutity" because it has this dispatch feed on it. I was told if I was wise to remove it otherwise the staties will come knocking to uuuumm... Have a little chat with me about it. I don't know how true everything is as of yet because I'm still gathering all the details and piecing together what I can of everything, until then I have removed the feed from the page. Just looking for some thoughts and opinions on the topic (it was registered in the Live Dispatch links section here on Firehouse so some of you may have even heard it at one time or another). I guess I'm just looking for some advice on what I should do. It seems like it it was on a personal page that's OK but to have it on a page with fire department stuff, well that is a national security violation.
    Edwardsville Emergency Services, Station 10. Home to the 11 Engine, 15 Rescue (Triple Nickel), 113 Truck (Albatross), 14 Ambulance, 15 Ambulance.
    We came, we saw, WE KICKED IT'S A $$!!!

One13Truck, I am and EMT and I go to school across the river from you (WUniv, not KColl). I frequented your live dispatch feeds and enjoyed it. I think it is ridiculous that live dispatch of Luzerne County is a risk to national security when there are live feeds of PGFD which is right outside of DC, and live feeds of cities such as NYC! I find it hard to believe that terrorists would be interested when Medic 2B goes up on Rte. 81 for an MVA, or when Trucksville goes to a field fire. So I am in total agreement with you. I miss your feeds, and I guess now I'm going to have to bring my scanner down here!

(Incidentally, I have a friend here at school too that is a vol FF at home and I am an EMT like I said... would your dept be accepting of members? If so, drop me a PM or email please. )

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not a big fan of live dispatch, but I am less of a fan of people using the umbrella of "national security" to enforce their personal agendas. Here is what I would do.

Since this was on an official FD site, I would advise my Chief in writing of what has occurred and request the services of the FD attorney. Then, I would have that attorney and you visit with the police chief and obtain the communication from the National Office of Homeland Defense or state equivalent stating that you are a threat to National Security. When he can't produce that, have him provide you with the name of the official from the National Office of Homeland Defense or state equivalent who provided him with the information that you are a threat to National Security. When he can't produce that, I would go public and embarrass him.

My guess is that someone with a bug about the live dispatch feed (wouldn't surprise me if it was from your own FD) that has enlisted his assistance in shutting the site down. Your Lt. may be part of the problem, as his approach to you was totally inappropriate.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but don't you think that if Edwardsville, PA FD dispatch was a national security concern that FDNY, Boston, Washington, DC, Indianapolis, etc. would too? Yet, their dispatch sites remain active.

Keep us advised of the developments. This is very interesting.

Approaching the Chief is the best solution considering it was the department's official website. My opinion is that your LT has a stick up his rear end about something.

Forum Member

Well the LT said if it was up to him he'd tell me to keep it up, but I guess what's said to your face may not always be what's said behind your back. Not sure how he really stands on it but from what I got from him he was trying to give me the hint to take action now before things turn into a circus (you know how local media likes to grab stupid stories and run with it, especially if it's a slow news day). Well like I said until I find out the whole story I've taken it down for now, amd I do agree with everybody else. A little dump of a County in N.E.Pa. with barely over 100 or 150,000 people is more of a threat than NYC, DC, or the rest?? I'm not understanding that. I will hopefully see some Chiefs or Officers from the department over the weekend and see what they know about it all and go from there. I'll keep posted on any developments as I find them out though.
    Edwardsville Emergency Services, Station 10. Home to the 11 Engine, 15 Rescue (Triple Nickel), 113 Truck (Albatross), 14 Ambulance, 15 Ambulance.

If I used the language I'd like to, I'd be in violation of FCC regulations

At any rate...

Code of Federal Regulations
    TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 119 > Sec. 2511. Prev | Next
    Sec. 2511. - Interception and disclosure of wire, oral, or electronic communications prohibited

(2)
    (g)
    It shall not be unlawful under this chapter or chapter 121 of this title for any person -
    (i)
    to intercept or access an electronic communication made through an electronic communication system that is configured so that such electronic communication is readily accessible to the general public;
    (ii)
    to intercept any radio communication which is transmitted -
    (II)
    by any governmental, law enforcement, civil defense, private land mobile, or public safety communications system, including police and fire, readily accessible to the general public;

The above is the important modifier to 47 USC 605 which otherwise prohibits rebroadcasts of say, your local FM radio station when it's playing the Howard Stern show:

Sec. 605. - Unauthorized publication or use of communications
    (a) Practices prohibited
    Except as authorized by chapter 119, title 18, no person receiving, assisting in receiving, transmitting, or assisting in transmitting, any interstate or foreign communication by wire or radio shall divulge or publish the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning thereof, except through authorized channels of transmission or reception,

With the wording of the above and a tradition by the FCC and Federal Courts that police & fire communications may be monitored and there content published for public benefit is strong enough I don't think there is a federal prosecutor out there who would waste time on what is happening in Podunkville. Or even New York City.

It is encumbent on the agency involved to encrypt or otherwise protect their transmissions if they don't want them published -- use scramblers, use digital encrypted radios, use cellphones, use a landline telephone. If they say it over a frequency that any Hoo in Hooville can listen to with a scanner from Radio Shack, then that Hoo can re-transmit it for the world to listen too.

It sounds like somebody has way too much time on their hands if they worry about a small town fire dispatch being a threat to "national Security"!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

One: If they wanted to listen in they would have a scanner anyway.

Two: Live dispatch feeds are delayed like what 30 to 45 seconds sometimes more. So they would have a scanner if they wanted to listen in.

So the threat of people being able to listen in is already there, at least this way they would be slowed by having to haul thier computer around chasing firetrucks

Forum Member

One13,
    I'd follow the suggestion about going through your chief, to find out who is REALLY behind this. Personally, it sounds like the Lieutenant has a bug up his butt about something, for some reason, and is using this as the boogie-man to hit you with. "Pretty high up people" checking on you? Please! I work with stuff that does deal with national security, and I can tell you that (and no offense to you) unless you're building nasty stuff in your workshop, or sending threatening letters to Congress or the Prez, or something like that to bring attention to yourself, the powers-that-be have more things to worry themselves with.
    (I'm from PA, and I can't really think of anything in your neck of the woods that'll come across the county dispatch that can possibly be of any harm to NY, DC, Philly, etc...) One of the guys in my dept advertises here on FH.com, and he has a live feed for our county, right outside DC. And if they aren't worried about him, I can't imagine why they'd worry about you!
    I think the LT has been watching too many movies that have the evil Men-In-Black, or some other evil nasty gov't agency after the main character, and is impressed with the Hollywood version of how the gov't runs. (Not as efficient or all seeing as their Tom Clancy-ish movies would lead you to believe.)
    HazMat
    ---
    We gotta be nuts...we're running in when the rats & roaches are running out!

Let No Victim's Ghost Say That We Didn't Try
    ---
    Disclaimer:
    These are my opinions, and only mine, and do not reflect the views of my department.

JTL

From a secure location from: JTL

To: Forum Board

Thanks for the research Dal and I agree with you and George. I would elaborate but it would might compromise nationa.............

Forum Member

Smile

Thanks for the support... I guess what everybody is say is I can unpack my suicases and put off my uuummmm.... Permanent trip to Toronto?? As I said hopefully over the weekend if not sooner I'll be able to track somebody down and find something out.

I'm curious to know what happened here. I listen to live dispatch several days a week and I've had a FD radio and scanner to listen to since 1969 or 70. I think someone is just trying to give you a hard time....

Cool

You may have figured this out already but the officer who confronted you is full of $%#$.

There is nothing wrong with live dispatch on the net. That guy is trying pull something on you to satisfy some local issues.

Ask him its a security risk then why do so many agencies broadcast their OWN dispatch? I am listening to Montgomery County MD now from their site. LAFD has a page on their site that they plan to broadcast their freq at sometime in the future.

Even better you have to look at CHP, Miami-Dade, Lincoln(NE) all have CAD lists on their site. CHP has it so you can track all calls in whatever locality you want.

Now, if the FBI is worried about you then they need to start making some more calls.

As for your LT...what a boob.
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

... and above all this, Washington, D.C. Fire Department scanner is back online after a little bit of being down.

Interesting to note that it is delayed about 5 minutes. Intentional? A threat to the security of the nations capital?

Then again, September 10th, no one was all that concerned about box cutters either.

Hmmm...
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Sorry in the delay getting this answer posted. I know it's been a few months but I've been very busy with work and a few other things to get to the bottom of everything. Rigth before I got an answer my Chief went under the knife for bypass surgery so he obviously has had bigger things to worry about. Last week I fianally had the chance to talk to our Asst. Chief who is the Chief of my company. He said he never heard anything and that my telling him about the situation was the 1st he heard of it. He was a bit upset as well. I have yet to get an OK to put the whole County back up and am considering moving it off the department's page to a personal page because yet again it seems personal pages are OK but on the department's page it's a Bad thing. But I did succeed in getting the OK to get our Mutual Aid channel back up and broadcasting on our Web Site. I don't know how far in between any further updates there will be but I will keep everybody updated on what happens from here.

I am with George, Dalmation, JTL, Gonzo here.

It seems if someone has an axe to grind or has nothing much better to do with thier time. I would start by taking your problem right to the chief.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

WWW.CI.VERDUGO.CA.US

Our dispatch just put up there live feed of Red 4 our main dispatch channel
    I do not see how it is a threat to homeland secuirty?
    Someone fulfilling there own poltical agendas is all this is

Thread Information