Like Tree30Likes

Thread: After Hours Pubs

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I heard about this in the news this morning and it seemed appropriate to post it here:

Hot new idea in Ireland: Legalizing drunk driving in rural areas

posted at 2:28 pm on January 23, 2013 by Allahpundit

Someone on Twitter posted this yesterday with the obvious joke: “Or, as the Irish call it, ‘driving.’” The rationale for the policy is interesting, though. It’s not about mainstreaming drunkenness, it’s about removing a deterrent to socializing for otherwise isolated farm-dwellers. If they can’t raise a pint together, they’ll raise a pint alone. Or build a meth lab in the barn. Either way, bad outcome.

What could go wrong?

He said his proposal would bring back a social outlet for lonely people in rural areas that had been lost after stricter drink-drive laws were introduced.

Healy-Rae, who owns a pub in Kilgarvan, County Kerry, said it would benefit people who are “looking at four walls”, and could help prevent mental illness.

“They’re travelling in very minor roads, often on tractors, with very little traffic and it’s not right they’re being treated the same as the rest of the travelling public and they have never killed anyone.

“The only outlet they have then is to take home a bottle of whiskey and they’re falling into depression, and suicide for some of them is the sad way out,” he added.
    Shouldn’t reclusive city-dwelling beta males also be eligible for permits like this? Ahem.
    =======

Legal Drunk Driving Possible In Parts Of Ireland

Posted: Jan 23, 2013 1:34 PM EST
    Updated: Jan 23, 2013 1:34 PM EST

One country is close to passing a law to make drunk driving legal.

The Kerry County council in southwest Ireland recently passed a controversial measure that could make it legal for some rural drivers to get behind the wheel after drinking.

Three council members voted "no" on the proposed legislation, but five members support the initiative.

These special permits would be granted to certain people who live and drive in sparsely populated areas.

The council member who spearheaded the motion claims that people drinking and driving in rural areas had "never killed anyone".

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/206...ble-in-ireland

=======

'Drunk Driving' Permits Approved By Irish County Might Let Rural Drivers Imbibe, Drive
    The Huffington Post | By Meredith Bennett-Smith
    Posted: 01/22/2013 4:12 pm EST | Updated: 01/23/2013 2:29 pm EST

The Kerry County Council in southwest Ireland has passed a controversial measure that could make it legal for some rural drivers to get behind the wheel after knocking back a few stiff drinks.

While only three council members voted "no" on the proposed legislation, five apparently support the creation of special permits for driving in sparsely populated areas while intoxicated, according to the Guardian.

Nationwide, Ireland has been cracking down on drunken driving, according to Irish news outlet Independent.ie, which reports that drivers are now allowed only 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood, "equivalent to drinking less than one pint of beer." But permits proposed in the Kerry measure would allow rural residents to consume "two or three drinks," per the Guardian.

Councillor Danny Healy-Rae , who spearheaded the motion, claimed that citizens drinking and driving in rural areas had "never killed anyone" and argued that the permits would actually help prevent "a lot of them falling into depression," reports Irish news site TheJournal.ie.

Healy-Rae also owns a pub in County Kerry, according to the Guardian.

“A lot of these people are living in isolated rural areas where there’s no public transport of any kind, and they end up at home looking at the four walls, night in and night out, because they don’t want to take the risk of losing their licence,” Healy-Rae told TheJournal.ie.

The website also noted that 12 Kerry councillors were not present at the time of voting, and that seven abstained from voting on the measure.

The council's measure is only the first step for proponents of the plan, however. The council still has to petition Justice Minister Alan Shatter to issue the special permits, reports the Independent.

County Kerry's move prompted harsh criticism from Noel Brett, chief executive of the Road Safety Authority in Ireland.

"It is unthinkable that we would go back to a system that sought to increase our drink-drive limit," Brett told Independent.ie. "We have made substantial progress in Ireland in reducing deaths and injuries on our roads, particularly in rural areas which are hardest hit by road fatalities and injuries."

The BBC reports that alcohol awareness organization Alcohol Action Ireland also moved quickly to condemn Healy-Rae's motion by noting that "almost one in three crash deaths in Ireland is alcohol-related."

Alcohol Action spokesman Conor Cullen disputed Healy-Rae's claim that drunken driving laws are leading to the increased isolation and depression of older, rural Irish citizens.

"It should be noted that the link between alcohol use and suicide has been well established and alcohol will exacerbate, not alleviate any mental health difficulties that a person may be struggling with, such as depression or anxiety," Cullen told the BBC. “Those in rural areas who may be suffering from isolation will not benefit from putting their lives and the lives of the other members of their community at risk by drinking and driving.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2527800.html

REMEMER: I dont make this stuff up!

Forum Member

The only vodka I'll drink straight up...

http://crystalheadvodka.com/about

Forum Member

We can and yes I may like you and buy the house out.... But I'm not leaving with you. I'm not that kind of man. I loves the women.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

And now, for something completely different...

Attachment 22753

Forum Member

With all this snow, I'll bet nobody comes pub-crawling here this evening.

*settles down with huge mug of hot chocolate and a book*

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    With all this snow, I'll bet nobody comes pub-crawling here this evening.

*settles down with huge mug of hot chocolate and a book*
    UUMMM.... Escuse me ma'am, but may I get a basket of fish and chips and a pint if its not too much trouble?

Forum Member

I have only time for a couple of rounds, please ma'am. You want to go one for one on shooters?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I have only time for a couple of rounds, please ma'am. You want to go one for one on shooters?
    Hey C.O.T. I hear the people at Makers are knocking the alchoholic content down.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Hey C.O.T. I hear the people at Makers are knocking the alchoholic content down.
    Well they did drop it from 90 proof by adding water to the mix to make it 84 proof, but went back to the 90 proof since a lot of folks complained. As for me, it wouldn't make a lot of difference since I use water as a mixer. Doing shots, it is straight up, no water or additives. You want to have a few with me, do ya?

Forum Member

UUMMM.... Escuse me ma'am, but may I get a basket of fish and chips and a pint if its not too much trouble?
    Sorry, was busy powdering my nose. Ya want malt vinegar with that?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Only if I can use Wizer's instead of Maker's.

Forum Member

Stocking up...

Attachment 22828
    CaptOldTimer likes this.

Forum Member

Here's a free round to celebrate my hubby's {Malahat} b-day!!!

Attachment 22833
    Last edited by firecat1; 03-21-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Forum Member

No 'business' for a month now; guess it's time to turn the joint over to the squirrels.

*puts dust covers on everything, turns out the light*

Forum Member

Hold there bar keep lady, I keep coming in as often as I can for my beverages and like to see some of the older customers as well as some of the new ones. There is no sense locking the bar up. Sometimes I can't get in because it is good weather now, but I'll try harder.

By the way, while we are talking, I'll have me makers and you pour it very nice. Have a drink with me of your favorite.

Forum Member

Did anyone see where I parked my truck? I've been looking for days...

Forum Member

Thanks, Cap, I thought I was going to be waiting on the skwirlies the rest of my life. :-)
    *pours a hefty tot of Crystal Head vodka, adds cranberry juice and a lime wedge*

Forum Member

1214, didja check the impound lot? :-)

Forum Member

There was a pile of rust where my truck used to be...
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Forum Member

I was skwirlie before skwirlie was cool.

Those who know me, know that I've joked about the squirrels taking over the world for at least 20 years. This just proves that I'm NOT barking mad...

Attachment 22878

*hands over dustpan and broom to 1214* Need a consoling drink over the lost truck?
    Last edited by firecat1; 05-24-2013 at 02:51 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think a Strawberry Daquiri would slide down pretty good right now.
    Tractor fires. 2. Yee HAW!
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

I suppose the rest of you have already gone to bed.
    Slackers!!!
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

Got some time on my hands today, as it is wet outside, Can't cut grass.

Let's have a few to get started.

Forum Member

Don't have that problem here. Its dry and windy, it may rain later this week and we need it. Had a fire last week in an area which is primarily mobile homes last week, in less than 10 minutes one was completely gone and we caught it as it started on a barn on one side and another mobile home on the other. I've got some really good photos of how not to store propane bottles, gas cans and gas tanks, yes gas tanks but right now this one is being investigated so it may be a while before I can show them.

Forum Member

Don't have that problem here. Its dry and windy, it may rain later this week and we need it. Had a fire last week in an area which is primarily mobile homes last week, in less than 10 minutes one was completely gone and we caught it as it started on a barn on one side and another mobile home on the other. I've got some really good photos of how not to store propane bottles, gas cans and gas tanks, yes gas tanks but right now this one is being investigated so it may be a while before I can show them.

Post them.

Thread Information