Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 202 of 251 FirstFirst ... 102152192199200201202203204205212 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,040 of 5007
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: After Hours Pubs

Good luck at the tourney today! We'll keep a cold one ready for ya.

What an awesome day!

Ok, not really...

It rained all day, and on a whim, I picked up a shallow crankbait. It cost $9.99, and was a gift from my mom at Christmas. I had bought one myself, but after catching only one fish the very first time I fished with it, it met an untimely end against the engine hood of my cousin's Johnson outboard (it's now a key chain fob without a diving bill). I mused one day at a Bass Pro Shop in Pearl, MS to my mother, who loves going to those stores, that I would like to have another one. Christmas came, and passed with my new treasure. It has occupied it's spot in my tackle storage for months. Friday, I looked at it, and optimistically tied it on for good measure. With a forecast for rain, and knowing that I would start fishing grassbeds on shallow flats, it seemed like a good choice. No rattles, no frills, just a shallow balsa wood crankbait, chartruese/black back. Well, the grassbeds didn't produce, so I went to some standing timber. I could draw strikes on a buzzbait, but they wouldn't commit. Out comes the crankbait, and my day was set! I caught several fish, including my kicker, at 3.53 lbs. Not huge, but for Summer in MS on the Tenn-Tom waterway, a decent fish. At the weigh-in, several folks had good limits. Mine would put me at 4th place, with a respectable 8.71 lbs. First place was won with 9.63, second was 9.46 with big fish of 3.67, and third was 9.07. The odd thing is that my pattern was completely different from everybody else.

I'm ranked third in the club points, which is where I finished last year. We have two more points tournaments left, both in September, and not on my favorite waters.

No celebration yesterday, only relief to be competitive. I passed on the cold ones in favor of a glass of water and some aspirin for the aching joints and muscles... Feel free to partake of the cold ones in support, though.

(Bomber Balsa B, black/chartruese, 0-3' depth range, fancast around standing timber and boat docks in 1-4 foot of water.)--in case anybody wondered..
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Saw something on tv the other night you might like: an 18" camera lure! Gave really good views of some 20-30# trout up in a Canadian lake. Just imagine CATCHING one of those puppies!!! Pan fried fish anyone?

Just imagine the Largemouth bass that would eat those trout for lunch!!! MEGA World Record.... Although Mississippi has a state record trout, they do not survive in this warmer climate. I thought it was interesting that the record came from a stocking of fish that were doomed to die in the heat.. More information is available on the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks website.. sorry, no link, but should google easily.. Search for state record fish..

I saw something on one of those "Monster Quest" shows where they used a camera lure to hunt for a Monster Lake Trout.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

The only "problem" about getting to those mega-lake trout is that you have to fly in, and your going to be heading about 500 miles NORTH of Yellowknife - and that place is cold enough, although they tell me its quite pleasant in "summer" - IF you dont get carried away by the deer flies and other insects. As they say "Things are Bigger Up North".

Most of the lakes up there have seen little or no human interaction, so the lake fish can and do get very large. I've never fished or camped that far north and have no intentions of it either. Staying within the norther borders of British Columbia is quite far enough north for this guy!

For those who might be interested in fishing Northern Pike or Walleye, Moberly Lake just east of Fort St John, BC is (was 30 yrs ago?) a good place to go. We spent a week up there one summer and I lost more gear in that lake than in all other fishing trips. Wonder how many of them damn pike still have one of my lures in their guts?

I try to keep my fishing limited to fish that probably won't hurt me, ie: No huge teeth. I'm not a big fan of loosing fingers, although I've been chewed on, and mauled by the teeth on some bass. Usually, after a 'good' day of fishing, I'll have the tell-tale line of scratches around my thumb from holding bass by their lower jaw. There are some gar and pickeral around here that have teeth, as well as bowfin that can hurt you, but I usually hold them with pliers or beat them against the boat to shake them loose. I wore some sandals fishing once, and caught a chain pickeral. When I dropped it to the deck of the boat, I realized that my naked toes were too close to it's toothy mouth as it flopped around. Note to self: No more sandals when fishing.

Just cuz ya know, I'm Canadian eh!

http://www.veoh.com/search.html?type...62838092726272

Check out the Beaver Canada video.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    I'm Canadian eh!
    I promise, I've never held that against your character, even though I have to weather through all of the "redneck" and "hillbillly" jokes...

Can I bring my own bottle to the Pub? I was given a gift of home-made blackberry wine.. MMMMMMMM....

I watched that clip all the way thru....thanks for the grins and giggles!

1214, you can bring your own bottle to the pub any time ya want to...and I'll bring some Muscadine wine. It's jus' a Southern thang............

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    I promise, I've never held that against your character, even though I have to weather through all of the "redneck" and "hillbillly" jokes...

Can I bring my own bottle to the Pub? I was given a gift of home-made blackberry wine.. MMMMMMMM....
    Hey, no worries on the hillbilly/redneck stuff. I come "from the Mountains" too. REAL mountains that is. None o' them 300 or 1000 footer jobs either.... those don't even qualify as a "Bunny Hill" for skiers back home!

And yep you can bring your blackberry wine. I have an Aunt and Uncle who used to make their own wines and blackberry was one of them ....oooooooooooooooo ya! Yum yum. But kinda tough on the head in the morning sometimes...... OH well. Thats the price you pay for good flavour! LOL

BTW, looks like I am taking a road trip up to Borden next week. Probably leaving sometime Sunday and returning on Thursday. Travelling up I76/79through Buffalo - anyone up for a stop-over beer along the way?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

I couldn't let this thread slip back to page 2; it's gotta stay up front.

BTW, looks like I am taking a road trip up to Borden next week. Probably leaving sometime Sunday and returning on Thursday. Travelling up I76/79through Buffalo - anyone up for a stop-over beer along the way?
    Well, for once, "looks are (not) deceiving". I am heading up there as of as soon as I can get my ***** loaded up in the truck and on the road. Spent 5 hrs last night with E421B hosing down a few Huntington neighbourhoods after they flooded out from yesterday's rain storm. Some of the street areas we washed down got flooded with sewage water from Cub Run and a few other places. Up to four feet - a kids playground should actually be tagged "Out of Bounds", the water got right up to the platform.

See y'all on Thursday (or more likely Friday morning).

Woo-Hoo! 900 posts. That's a lot of nothing I've typed into these threads!!! How about a round for the House as I push my way to over 1000. Sooner or later, I'll come up with some real comments!!

The house doesn't drink but I'll be glad to pour one for you.

***Warning, political humor***

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    The house doesn't drink but I'll be glad to pour one for you.
    Evidently, you've never met any members of the United States Political Process..

I'm sorry. I've been listening to a radio talk show in the background talking about the Presidential election...

UGH! I'm sick of politics! I could really wish for some laughter, some (not too loud) music and a Guiness right about now.

UGH! I'm sick of politics! I could really wish for some laughter, some (not too loud) music and a Guiness right about now.
    HOt damn. That's an idea.
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Ya can stuff a cork in the politics OH WAIT maybe thats a bad idea. Corks can be considered as ammunition when used to stopper expanding gases..... !

As for the music and the Guinness, I'LL TAKE FOUR! Guinness that is, and a really smooth scotch chaser (or 4 maybe). Just got home this morning at 130am, after driving back from Borden, AND stopping over in Irving, NY on Rte 20 for 15 hrs while I got my transmission rebuilt.

A very warm and heartfelt THANK YOU to Dwayne DiPirro and his guys at American Transmission, Irivng, NY for doing a "drop tools to help a traveller". Earlier in the morning (230am) they received a full rebuild kit for a S10 pick up truck. They redirected those parts to my truck and all three guys spent the better part of 8 hrs tearing the tranny down and getting it fixed. That was truly some "northern" hospitality at its very finest! Thank you guys.

* sets bottle of Lagavulin and empty glass in front of Malahat * Enjoy...lunch will be served shortly.

New at the pub this week, spicy mustard dip for your pretzels!! Please, no double dipping..

Thread Information