Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 239 of 252 FirstFirst ... 139189229236237238239240241242249 ... LastLast
Results 4,761 to 4,780 of 5034
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: After Hours Pubs

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And............

ChiefKN - No Disrespect, but Toby has to work on being more "Country" and less "Nashvegas" than what he is now. A decent Guy, and talented, but the idiots who control what comes out of "Bagdad on the Cumberland" need to take a real long hard look at what they're pushing as Country......... My list is a "Way Back toward the Roots" group..........

*Steps down from Soapbox*........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    ChiefKN - No Disrespect, but Toby has to work on being more "Country" and less "Nashvegas" than what he is now. A decent Guy, and talented, but the idiots who control what comes out of "Bagdad on the Cumberland" need to take a real long hard look at what they're pushing as Country......... My list is a "Way Back toward the Roots" group..........

*Steps down from Soapbox*........
    None taken... still a great show!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

What! No Ricky Skaggs? Harve, what happened?? Is he not bluegrass enough?

and what kind of bar doesn't have a large selection of Jimmy Buffett albums?
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Thumbs up Well.............

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    What! No Ricky Skaggs? Harve, what happened?? Is he not bluegrass enough?

and what kind of bar doesn't have a large selection of Jimmy Buffett albums?

I like Ricky, but he just didn't make the cut to be on my recent CD "Best of the Bunch".......

Walk in to any Hill Country watering hole and look for Jimmy's name on the Wurlitzer. Ain't happenin', those folks think a Buffett is a serve yourself Restaurant............

Bob Wills IS still the King, you know............

And, the next CD, "Westbound and Down", is under Construction. Ricky's "Highway 40 Blues" will be on it.......
    Last edited by hwoods; 09-06-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Spelllllling
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    *hands over a Screwed Up {vodka, orange juice, triple sec and ginger ale}*

Hey Ms Cat, how about I? Can I have a drink as well? Makers and water would be fine.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

And, while you're back there, could I have a Jack and Ginger, Please??.......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Ten years ago today, three hundred forty-three family members doing what they love for those they love went in to fight a battle that still rages today... Thank you.

*raises glass in silent toast*

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

To post this story with the photo in the Dark and Stormy thread would have taken away from that story, so here is the background on the tractor photo:

Tough trucks, tough tractors

Clayton Sidlick shows off a bright red 1952 Cockshutt tractor, part of the antique farm equipment display this weekend at the Luxton Fall Fair, featuring tough truck mayhem, music entertainment and midway rides.
    Charla Huber/News staff

New fire truck on the way to Sooke

Published: September 15, 2011 9:00 AM
    Updated: September 15, 2011 9:44 AM

A mix of old and new, Luxton Fall Fair celebrates 101 years

Chugging along with high speed belts and spiked metal rollers, Clayton Sidlick has yet to lose a finger in the vintage 1920s threshing machine.

Each year at the Luxton Fall Fair, Sidlick loads oats harvested in Metchosin into the “widow maker” machine, an old device that separates seed from the chafe.

He knows his way around an antique thresher and enjoys giving people a handful of fresh oats. They always give him a puzzled look.

“They say, ‘What do we do with that?’ Then I ask them if they’ve ever had a bowl of oatmeal,” Sidlick chuckled.

Sidlick has volunteered at the fair for the past 33 years because he loves it. He spends the day minding the thresher in the field with other antique farm equipment, such as the Sawyer-Massey steam tractors.

Antique equipment upkeep, quilt making, cow milking and blacksmithing will bump up against the smell of cotton candy and the sounds of carnival games for this weekend’s 101st Luxton fair.

“People can come here so they will know the history of the West Shore community,” said volunteer Ian McKenzie. “Life was a lot harder back then.”

During the weekend fair McKenzie will spend his time among the historical displays, talking to fairgoers about the exhibits. To help connect an increasingly urban population with the rural history of the area, McKenzie is helping organize a gardening contest this year, which will take the place of the horticultural display.

“I like telling people about (our rural history) and helping then understand what it’s all about,” McKenzie said.

A 10 year volunteer, McKenzie enjoys the community aspect of the fair more than the rides and food, but he will sneak away to get a corn on the cob. “It’s a whole grain,” McKenzie smiled.

For people who like their fairs a bit more modern, there are plenty of carnival games and rides. Thrill seekers can be locked in the cage of the Zipper or dare to try the assortment of high flying rides.

In the Luxton arena, the popular jacked up 4x4s try to climb seemingly insurmountable obstacles for the popular Tough Truck Challenge.

“Horse power always attracts an audience,” said Zillah Erickson, the tough trucks volunteer organizer. “We are the only registered fair in B.C. that has an off road truck event.”

Boulders, logs and five-foot diametre cement pipes provide the obstacles, but the bravado of mainly young male drivers delivers the entertainment.

In it’s fifth year, the course has been rejigged to keep drivers and audiences on their toes.

The crowds keep coming back to see, “who can maneuver over the obstacles and the carnage that happens,” Erickson said.

Not all trucks are tough enough to endure the gruelling combat course and Erickson said it’s not uncommon to see a rollover or a gas tank go up in flames. “That one’s on YouTube,” she joked.

Anyone with a 4x4 truck who wants to give the course a try can sign up at the fair. “It’s an open invitation,” Erickson said.

The Tough Truck Challenge starts at 11 a.m. on Sept. 17 and 18.

Admission to the fair grounds if free but to enter the tough trucks show. The admission fee is $15 adults, $10 seniors and youth 11-18 and children 10 and under are free.

See www.luxtonfair.ca for a full schedule of events and entertainment.

reporter@goldstreamgazette.com

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

{I saw the link for "New Sooke Fire Truck" here is that story}

New fire truck on the way to Sooke
    By Pirjo Raits - Sooke News Mirror
    Published: June 22, 2011 5:00 AM

Back in February of 2006, the District of Sooke decided to purchase a new aerial fire truck for $580,967 plus another $11,000 for additional small equipment for the truck.

To pay for the cost of the new fire truck each residential homeowner and business would pay $14.35 per year for residential taxpayers and $104 per year for businesses.

At the time, it was stated that the new aerial truck would replace Engine 204 which had reached the end of its 20-year life span. It did not meet pump-rating capacity requirements for 2005 and was in need of approximately $30,000 in repairs. Up to that point the District of Sooke had leased its fire apparatus which ran at about $4,800 per month. At the time it was also said that the approval to purchase vs leasing would have to pass through the alternate approval process and if money was borrowed it would have to be approved by the Inspector of Municipalities.

Taxpayers can now reach into their wallets once again as the district is purchasing another fire truck. This one is not new, it will be a used 2006 E-One Rescue Pumper with a price tag of $229,000 plus delivery charges. This new truck will once again replace Engine 204.

Fire Chief Steve Sorensen says Engine 204 suffered wear and tear when it was sent to Kelowna to help fight the fires, although money was paid for its use. If Engine 204 was repaired and upgraded it would have cost the district $30,000-$40,000 and would still not be considered a front line vehicle. The vehicle, at most, said Sorensen has four more years of life.

“We would be putting a whole lot of money into a truck that qualifies for vintage plates,” said Sorensen. He also said they were not looking for any additions to the fleet.

Sorensen told council that used fire vehicles, like the one they wanted, did not come up for sale very often and they had to jump on the opportunity as two of the three he saw for sale were already sold. Councillor Dave Bennett agreed and said time was of the essence if they wanted to get the 2006 pumper truck.

Money for the new rig will come from general reserve funds which CAO Evan Parliament says is there, as there is not enough money in the fire reserve fund.

“We would be making a loan to the fire reserve fund,” said Parliament.

“We’re not borrowing any money, we’re just shifting it around,” said Sorensen. “We’re taking $250,000 now to save money later.”

The recommendation to purchase the used rescue pumper was passed by council.

{Oh and I put both these stories here in the Pub thread, cuz ya know, tractors and trucks are both worthing having a drink for! ahahahhaahaa}
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 09-15-2011 at 02:06 PM.

20 year life span for a truck? A 20 year old truck would be like new for our volunteer dept.

Who ate all the cashews?

Who ate all the cashews?
    The skwirlies.

Talking Huh??..........

So how did they get the can open??.........
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Like this...

Harve, should you even ask? You know she is going to have a great answer!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

And, while you're back there, could I have a Jack and Ginger, Please??.......
    Earnhardt LOVED "Jack and geenjale"!

Forum Member

20 year life span for a truck? A 20 year old truck would be like new for our volunteer dept.

Who ate all the cashews?
    Same at Reidland Farley.Two of the recently replaced rigs were 30 and 33 years old respectively.Oddly enough,the 30 y/o rig looked older than the other.Guess one station took better care of the toys.
    I was leaving just as the design committee was formed and I noticed something:everyone HAD to have their idea included for the new rigs.I've often wondered if they got all the idea put in and if the trucks are light enough to be driven over paved roads without "Wide Load" signage.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    The skwirlies.
    Went squirrel hunting yesterday.We came home empty handed but I had to cover a water moccasin as it slithered around some tree roots.My friends no longer laugh at me wearing thick leather boots while hunting where we were.
    I was being open minded about the whole incident.As long as it didn't come at me,I wasn't going to show how a 20 guage pump shotgun can go full auto.

Forum Member

Norah Jones knocked that one outta the park.She's much easier on the eyes than Ol' Waymore was,to boot.

I am pulling Rank and Loading the Juke Box.................

Waylon Jennings........... Wurlitzer Prize.....

(These are all on Itunes)

Thumbs up Uh Huh......

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Norah Jones knocked that one outta the park.She's much easier on the eyes than Ol' Waymore was,to boot.

Yeah, Copy That.......... You get a chance, listen to Leona Williams' version of "I Never Go Around Mirrors".......... Outstanding.........
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information