Like Tree29Likes

Thread: After Hours Pubs

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, what we dance to depends on you? Am I still supposed to be gentle with you?
    And I'm sure this place will do just fine without little ole me. I'm hoping to talk my way into a greek fire station. I'm taking patches and pics to see if I can charm my way in...
    (Stand my with international funds for bail money... )
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

got Western Union ?>
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I think so...just promise me you'll get me out if they take me as a political hostage or acuse me of being a spy.
    IACOJ
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

I leave for one shift and come back to find 3 more pages! You guys type too much. I had an easy shift, with only 1 call. I have to go back later tonight for a short standby and then I have another full shift Monday. No one loves me anymore.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

1219 stop whinning! Take a lap top with you to work and you can keep up. Ok, I'll buy a round and listen to you. I'm cranky this morning so don't mind me. I can still listen.

Forum Member

Anyone got a drink for a Basic student who didn't make an "A" on a quiz? I've been doing great on my tests/quizzes up till now but reality's probably kicking in. At least I aced the practicals (this time). Just so much to know...don't know how medics do it? One more month to go before the State test.

PS. What do they call a med student who finishes last in his class???

Doctor.

Forum Member

Keep your head up Sky, I've been there done that, got the t-shirt for both basic and intermediate...Now working on medic. I have always been the type to really get down on myself if I didn't get an A. I learned throughtout the numerous med classes I have taken, that as long as you get a good enough grade to pass, as well as re-study the stuff that you missed, you'll do fine. During my 1st semester of medic class, the former professor had a policy of, if you got below an 80% you'd re-test until you passed. With this professor, if you KNEW you had to get above an 80% the second time...It wasn't just a "here, memorize this and pass.." you really had to know it...and it helped out alot. Don't get down on yourself, it sounds like you've been doing great up until now...Just go back and go over the stuff you missed and test yourself on it.
    Next round is on me!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Leuit. I know I'll do fine. I just don't want to be one of those who just slips by and doesn't know their stuff. It's simply amazing what I've learned these past few months. I think it's great what one of your instructors did about those who did less than 80%. The important part is that we understand what we're learning. You're right...I need go over what I missed & didn't understand. I'll do that after a cold beer!

How much longer do you have before you're done with medic school?

Forum Member

From the sounds of it, you're on the ball and won't be one of the ones that will slip through the cracks. What you said about understanding what we learned is 100% correct. You need to know why you're doing what your doing, and how it's gonna effect the patients outcome, instead of just saying "well, this is what we learned in class, and that's how it WILL be done..." You probably know this by now, but our patients don't read our training materials, and therefore won't always be a "textbook" example...Being in EMS is like being McGyver...you need to adapt and overcome any situation thrown at you...and from the sounds of it, I think you have that ability...Keep it up!
    As for me completing medic, I just have to finish up my ride time and test in July...that's the school's plan as of now...I have 210 more hours to do, and the way I worked it out, I can be done in 6 weeks if I do 36 hours a week...plus doing my paid job...It's gonna be a struggle, but will definately be worth it in the end...
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

You sound just like my LT at my station, if I didn't know better I'd think you were him. He really impresses me with what he knows and with how compassionate he is with the patients. But then again, he's been at it for 10+ years. Nice to have a role model like that.

36 hours a week??? Oh man! I've been riding the 7pm-7am shift once or twice a week (when there's an ambo in service) but it's hard getting to work in the a.m. and really concentrating. Hat's off to you!

We'll have another party when I get my EMT-B and you get your P. Some of us will just think of any excuse to drink & dance! Speaking of party...did you ever see the post where all your friends wished you a Happy Birthday?

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...happy+birthday (I don't know how to add a link to a thread on here)
    Last edited by skyraider; 05-01-2005 at 08:02 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks for the compliment...I guess that's why I was chosen, at such an early age, to be an officer...Unfortunately I have been oon the "receiving" end of medical attention many times, between both my mother and I...I saw how people cared for us and treat us...both the good and the bad...and I learned from it...How to treat my patients with dignity and respect...Not only my patients, but everybody in general.
    A party sounds good to me! When do you finish up with you B? Maybe we can throw a joint party.
    yes, I did see the other thread..I liked the responses...Just too bad I was here for my b-day...but had a great time nontheless.

Forum Member

No joint party, friend!! We'll have TWO! I'll be at both! I test on 2 June.

I recall you mentioning what happened in another thread a while back. It touched me...especially since it happened at a critical age for you.

My mom's had cancer since 1990 and in 2001 it was diagnosed terminal with about 3-6 months to live. Then mom went through some awful therapy, then Sep 11 happened, then a few weeks later my dad had a stroke and passed away. I was through. We were expecting mom to go and then my dad does. BUT...God did wonders to heal her...LAST YEAR she had surgery and is fine for now. 2001 was the worst year of my life but 2002 through now has been the best for me spiritually. I'm at one of the best places in my life right now and I had to go through all that stuff to get here.

I say all that because when I finally made it to see dad after his stroke (he was in a coma) the medical staff was just amazing. It hit a cord with me. I also saw how poorly my mom was treated during her treatments and I remember those things now. Then I saw how good the staff was with me and the family when we had to make decisions with dad and it was comforting (although devastating). We're all people and need to be treated, like you said, with dignity & respect.

DADGUMMIT...some times (ok, always) I wish I weren't so verbose. Hand me a drink and let's be done with it!

Forum Member

It's good to be verbose...Compared to me...It took having a breakdown to finally open up to people...I am sorry to hear what happened to your family...God bless you for what you went through with not 1 both both of your parents. It was hard enough with my mom, I couldn't imagine having to go through serious medical issues like you did with both parents. I am soo glad to hear your mom is doing well. It's nice to hear, in a time such as what we're going through now in the world, of survivor stories such as that.
    As for my mom, she got diagnosed with Lupus right after I was born. Then I was diagnosed with Childhood Nephritis...I ended up having to go every few months regulalry to a kidney doc in Boston...Plus the relapses I had with it...and the massive amounts of prednisone I was on for 13 years. Luckily I outgrew the kidney disease, but the Lupus took a toll on my mom...She had her 1st MI 14 years ago and we weren't sure if she would make it out of that one, but she did...then about 2 years after that, she developed leg ulcers on both of her legs due to poor circulation from the Lupus. She went through about 20-25 skin grafts and countless hyperbaric chamber therapy sessions to help with the circulation. Just when it seemed she was getting better, right when I got back from college from my freshman year, she had a massive MI caused by a pulmonary embolism. SHe ended up passing away 4 days later.
    Because of everything I've gone through, I think it's made me a better caregiver.
    ok..now I'm being verbose....line up the shots!

Forum Member

Wow! I didn't know all that. Don't we all just have our own unique stories. You're a real survivor and have been through a lot! No wonder you're so interested in being a medic. You'll make a great one. Your poor mom. I don't know much about Lupus, but I know it's brutal. She must've had the strength and will beyond what I can ever imagine.

Hey...If you ever need a kidney...let me know!

Forum Member

Thanks for the offer, but my kindays are a-ok now!
    OK, we need to lighten up the mood a little, don't you think? Throwing on some old C+C Music Factory...Let's get this party started!

Forum Member

Hey 1219...are we being to somber for you??? Sometimes you just need it. Pull up a stool!

Forum Member

Hey..what's a "quint?" I keep seeing it but don't know what it is. A ladder truck? If so, why do they call it quint?

Forum Member

a quint is a combo ladder/engine...it's supposed to replace 2 trucks with one...instead of having and engine co and a ladder co...you have a quint...but most times they are not staffed to do both jobs...if you do a search you'll find about just as many threads on quints as there are for "which light should I get for my POV", "Vol vs paid" etc...
    Quints...a good idea in theory for smaller depts..but like the elevator system in the hotel I stayed at...theory doesn't always translate to reality....

Forum Member

Ok, I have been sick for 2 years now. I am finally feeling healthy. I have been through many health problems including heart, cancer and lung problems. I still have a condition that can rip the rug right out from under at any moment. But through it all I thought of people like Sky and Dems that have more to deal with. After all, I still can get out of bed. Through most of the worst I could still play one game of racquetball per day. But there are many who can't. So I don't feel like I have the need to complain. Well at least not some of the time. Thanks for sharing both of you. It really helps bring home the important things and that I truely am lucky. I think it is only my age that now makes me more aware of my own mortality.

As you said Dems enough of this chat! Let's bring on the drinks. But just a special thanks and toast to you both!

JoJo

Forum Member

So that's what a quint is!! You'd think I would have gathered that from the threads but sometimes I a bit slow! Thanks, Leuit.

JoJo...sorry to hear about your health issues. With all your racquetball, bowling and dancing I never would have thought!! Good for you to go out and fight. You've got a great personality and it really comes out great at the pub! Now if I can just figure out why you're stuck in a house with a ton of computers!

Forum Member

Hey Sky would you like one? They multiplied again last night!

I have a question for all of you!

What is warm and wet on the inside, hard and hairy on outside?
    I'll give you a hint! It has a U and N in it.
    coconut!

Forum Member

Exclamation

Ok, I am at the bar and will buy drinks for the next 15 mintes.

Bartender, give me Jack and Ginger.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Tea for me, please Capt.; I'm working tonight.

You folks go ahead and have a good time tonight, I'm holding the fort.
    Eat, drink and be merry
    IACOJ
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

Hey...did I slip into the bar in time? What's time around here anyway?? A Jack & Ginger actually sounds good!

Forum Member

I'm here sky, even if the capt isn't...I'll get the drinks for you...2 jack and ginger's please!

Thread Information