Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Boston - Tourist Things and Fire Museum

Hey guys I am going to Boston in two weeks for business. I need some tips on the nightlife and area attractions? Any fire museum's in Boston greater area. Any Stations with more history than most?

Thanks

Andy

The northend is a nice place to stop for dinner ...they have a firehouse E-8 and L-1 across from some of the restarants on Hanover street. The freedom trail also passes by the firehouse ....Great place to vist I love Boston.

If you are near the Prudential Center in the Back Bay section of town, stop by Engine 33/Ladder 15's house... it is on Boylston Street and has a lot of history (they also sell T shirts there)

The Vendome Memorial is nearby..they can give you directions to get there.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

http://www.boston-online.com/

While you're at that site, check out the "Wicked Good Guide to Boston English" ( http://www.boston-online.com/glossary.html )

Ladder 15's website is www.ladder15.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Great city!! Engine 10, Rescue 1 and the Tower are on Northhampton St
    right next to I-93 in a high rise building. E37 - L26 on Hunington
    Ave is a good old house as well. Enjoy the night life there is a lot
    of it. Also Florian Hall in Dorchester (home of Local 718) has a good lunch menu. Have a great trip.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

Just as the others have said, Boston is a great city. For history buffs, it can't be beat. You can follow the Paul Revere's Freedom Trail, the Old North Church and you can stop by the Bull and Finch Bar, AKA Cheers. It is on Beacon Street just down from the statehouse.
    The Boston Fire Museum is located in an old firehouse at 344 Congress St, between the downtown and South Boston. It is run by the Bosotn Sparks Club. 33/15 is a must, great firehouse located at 941 Boylston St. Engine 10, Tower and Rescue 1 are actually located at 125 Purchase St. If you like rescues, R-2 is at 1870 Columbus Ave. When I go away, I try to stop at firehouses that I have seen on television. If you saw the special that TLC did on the BFD, they followed Eng 52 and Ladder 29 from 975 Blue Hill Ave. If you will be driving around Boston a word of caution, due to the "Big Dig" the downtown area is FUBAR. Have a great time.

All great suggestions so far.

If you have time, hop on over to Cambridge and poke around. Lots of local color, street musicians, people watching and the like. Best bet is to go over the on the "T" (subway). Take the Red Line to Harvard Square. It has gotten a bit "malled" over there in recent years, (RIP Wursthaus and The Tasty), but there are still plenty of interesting nooks and crannies. If you like a microbrew or two as much as I do, be sure to stop into John Harvard's Brewhouse. Also lots of good ethnic type eats in th Harvard, Porter and Central Square areas if you're into that.

Good idea to take public transit anywhere in Boston or Cambridge if possible. Driving amongst us notorious Boston drivers can be hellish for the uninitiated and parking is scarce and expensive.

Have fun!

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

CFD, Thanx for the correction!! Gotta make sure the brother gets it right!! Also if you go to 52/29, the area is a tad rough. But usually you'll be fine.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Thread Information