Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up 2nd 3rd and 4th jobs?!?!

I get to start training in a couple weeks for my new FF position here in KY. I have been talking to a number of FF's and almost all of them have 2nd and even 3rd jobs. I own a small contracting firm for audio/visual for a couple years and done okay at it, but I never realized how much time I would have to spend at it on my off days. I also want to join the volunteer unit in the town I live in outside of Nicholasville. So I would have in essense 3 jobs. FT FF, PT contracting and PT vollie. Even with all that (besides lack of sleep) I should be able to spend plenty of time with the wife and (kids soon to be on the way as my wife works for my contracting term and she is also good friends with the bat chief's wife (thats how I knew about the job in the first place).
    All that to say, I can't believe a job could be so perfect that I could do three things I love (FF, audio engineering, and loving on the wife) and still make enough to provide for my family without being stressed out and ****ed off everyday!
    Isn't that the most awesome thing ever?!
    What kind of 2nd jobs do you all have?

PD

i am a full time ff and then i work at the childrens hospital in dallas i still have time to be with the family that should be your first priorty most of the otherguys on the department have other jobs and a couple own their own companies for me i get bored on my days off so the hospital is a great place for me to work
    I PROVIDE A NAMELESS FACELESS SERVICE TO A COMMUNITY THAT RARELY KNOWS HOW MUCH THEY NEED ME IF I AM CALLED FROM A SOUND SLEEP TO SACRIFICE MY LIFE TRYING TO SAVE THE PROPERTY OR LIFE OF SOMEONE I DO NOT KNOW I WILL DO SO WITHOUT REGRET
    From the book "The Heart Behind The Hero" from Jon Mc Duffie in memory of Joe Dupee LAFD

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

1st and foremost: Career Firefighter

2nd yet just as important:Volly Firefighter
    Landscaper
    Limo Driver
    Bouncer at a Bar
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

No wife or kids to worry about or dote over yet...

1st: Career Firefighter
    2nd: 911 Dispatcher
    3rd: Volunteer Firefighter
    4th: Searching for that perfect someone
    5th: Keepin' up the yard

*Mark

Thread Information