Forum Member

Default This man is a trained professional....don't try this at home

In the spirit of a Stay Back kinda post.....

So today was the day I was going to finish putting the railing around the deck off my 2nd floor bedroom. Rails all built, put up the ladder, here we go.

Everything was going fine. I had installed the 3 sections of railling and just needed to finish screwing the facia board to the ends of the floor joists. Key phrase coming up kids...................Then I moved the ladder. Such an innocent statement. Yup, I lowered it down, and slid it away from the house a little more. Hell, all the trade journals are preaching this as the "best" way the set a ladder for bailout.

It hard to remember which came next. The sliding sound of the ladder against the wood, or the sliding sound of the ladder acroos the gravel. It really doesn't matter. As I was using all of my body weight to drive that last screw into the deck, the ladder was following Newton's Law.........11 Feet down, no waiting, no stops.

Of course both of my dogs were laying within 3 feet of where the ladder fell, neither one of them moved. I on the other hand fell, bounced and then landed again. 180lbs affected by gravity, falling 11 feet and landed squarely on my left butt cheek. Yes I am sure....I landed on it squarely. My first conscious thought was "which group is on duty if I have to call them", which was replaced with "there ain't no way I'm calling anybody about this"

Except for a couple of cuts, a future large bruise on my butt, and a current large bruise on my ego......there were no other injuries to report. Now I need a good excuse to tell my Captain.......imagine that....a truckie screwing up a simple ground ladder evolution.

Take care Brothers.

Dave
    Last edited by hfd66truck; 05-08-2002 at 10:08 PM.

Forum Member

Brother Dave....

It takes a great amount of "testicular fortitude" to admit that one has made an error, especially about something that we do on the job often (setting up ladders, not falling off of them!) and posting it on an forum read by firefighters all over the world.

A tip of the leather to you!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Disillusioned Subscriber

Default WHOA

There's nothing quite like those few moments right before impact when you realize that you're hosed, and that "This is gonna really hurt!"

Hope your OK Brother!
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Sr. Information Officer

Default See ya Ladder?

Glad to hear you're not seriously injured. That could have put you out of service. You are, of course, going to be the BUTT of all the comments that will follow. Perhaps a new screen name of REAR Admiral would be fitting?

The best may slip, and even the most cautious fall; but he is more than human who errors not at all.
    ~ Pomfret ~

GONZO...don't get teste with him....he's been through an ordeal!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Sounds like you were the victim of a classic "brain stall". I am glad that nothing was seriously injured other than your pride.

There used to be a story circulated by the "safety people" when I was active duty Air Force that was supposedly the narrative for a workmans comp claim that goes like this.

" I am a bricklayer. I was working by myself finishing a brick chimney on a house. I had hoisted the bricks to the roof by using a wooden barrel and a rope and pulley. I finished the chimney and had bricks left over. I put the bricks in the barrel, climbed down the ladder and tried to untie the rope from the anchor it was secured to. The barrel was heavy so I took a couple of wraps of rope around my arm to get more leverage. I got the rope untied but the barrel was heavier than I was. The following then happened.

1. The barrel came down and I went up. The barrel struck me on the shoulder as we passed. I jammed my fingers in the pulley when I reached the top.

2. The barrel hit the ground and broke. I was now heavier than the barrel. I came down and the barrel went up striking me on the right knee as we passed.

3. I hit the ground, breaking my left ankle. At this point I became confused and let go of the rope allowing the remains of the barrel to come down and strike me on the head.

I hope this explains my claim"

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Glad to see that you weren't seriously injured! Seems like da murph reared his head at your house. It happens to all of us at some point.
    Tell anybody but the jakes you work with though!!
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Remember everyone is allergic to gravity.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Default Many thanks

Thanks all, I appreciate it!

Puffy...yes I did tell the boys at work, kinda helps to keep you honest.

Ray, I love that story. I have heard it before but forgotten it until just now.

Gonzo, I said I landed on my ***. Seriously, no fortitude here, just passing on what fortunately became an amusing story. Of course each day I find something else that hurts (getting older ain't easy), but I can still look back and........blame my wife for wanting a railing on the deck.

Thanks again boys...
    Dave

Forum Member

Funny....suddenly I feel a lot better!

Seriously, glad to hear you're O.K.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

Default ...no punches thrown....

I did learn one thing from Stayback.....

Never, not once, did I have the desire to punch the ladder, ground, or anything else. It may have had something to do with the overwelming desire to see if my hip was now attached to my shoulder.

Dave

Sr. Information Officer

Default hfd66truck

Ya know, hfd66truck....I got to thinking(That in itself is dangerous) and I thought you would like to get an update on current ladder safety tips.

Enjoy!
    Part 1 http://www.ab.ust.hk/sepo/tips/cs/cs001.htm

Part 2 http://www.ab.ust.hk/sepo/tips/cs/cs001a.htm

Part 3 http://www.ab.ust.hk/sepo/tips/cs/cs001b.htm

Part 4 http://www.ab.ust.hk/sepo/tips/cs/cs001c.htm

There...now you are completely up to date!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

hhhhhmmmmmm...........

How did they get my picture?

Hey NJ, (he says ROFLMAO) stop making me laugh, I told I keep finding new parts that hurt.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hfd66truck; 05-11-2002 at 11:15 AM.

Those are beautiful

hfd66truck... Were you using a leg hold on the ladder when it went?!?

Serioulsy I hope your... ummm... errr... aaa (oops can't say that) butt is feeling better.

I think you should post that pic at your station

O.K. the ladder tips were just way too hilarious! ROFLMAO!

I have one question though, what about the aforementioned dogs? Did they survive the moment of impact and better yet did you hear them laughing?
    I would...but no!

Forum Member

Default going to the dogs

survive?

Of course they survived, they barely even moved. Go figure, a squirrel can run by the house a 2:00am, in a lightning storm and they both run around like idiots. A ladder falls 3 feet from them and they don't even move........

Oh and temptaker....no leg lock, thank god. This would be a whole different story then.

Dave
    Last edited by hfd66truck; 05-12-2002 at 09:48 AM.

I am glad I am not the only one who looks to see who is working before calling!

Thanks for the chuckle, hfd66truck! The only thing missing is the wife coming out and asking why you are laying down on the job!

hfd66truck

I didn't think you had leg lock. Not seeing it actually happen I can only guess as to the severity of the break you would have suffered, I'm sure it would have required surgery to fix. Very good thing you didn't use one. I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.

I know what you mean about the dogs... hehe. Roxy, my female Dobie, would like a burglar to death, but if a bird lands on the porch she goes nuts. Mind you I can't get her to fetch either, she'll run to where the stick or ball was thrown pick it up, and when you call her back, she drops whatever you threw and then comes back... she's a little on the slow side, but keeps the other one from becoming 'destructo dog'.

I can imagine the look on your wife's face to... "Didn't I ask you to put a rail on there? I come out here and find you laying down... what are you doing anyway... Suntanning? Shouldn't that ladder be up on the side of the house?"
    Last edited by Temptaker; 05-12-2002 at 04:02 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Hey NJFFS, I really like the web links. As Safety Rep, I think I will use them for the next ladders lecture.

And HFD66TRUCK, First I would like to say that it is good news that nothing other than a few bruises and strains to your rearmost anatomy was done, not to mention your ego.

As for wondering which crew was on duty, I can appreciate that feeling, had had a couple "suspected" chimney fires (nothing happened fortunately). Funny thing how when it is "One of Us, that we are so scared to call for help eh. Good luck with getting your rear in shape again!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Dave - I am pretty sure everyone here has one of those "you shoulda' have known better" stories. including me. Luckily the brain cells that I have lost over the years are the ones with those memories.

And for Ray R - There is an irish song called "The Bricklayer's Lament" done by Blackthorn which is the same story as you told -it is on their "Tonite's the Night for Drinking" CD

Blackthorn
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Talking Ha ha ha hee hee hee ho ho ho!

Ha ha ha hee hee hee ho ho ho ha ha ha hee hee heeha ha hee hee hee ho ho ho ho ho ho ha ha hee hee hee ho hha ha hee hee hee ho ho ho o ho ha ha hee hee hee ho ho ho haha ha hee hee hee ho ho ho ha hee hee hee ho ho ho ha ha hee hee ha ha hee hee hee ho ho ho hee ho ho ho ha ha hee hee hee ho ho ho ha ha hee ha ha hee hee hee ho ho ho hee hee ho ho ho ha ha hee hee hee ho ho ho!

(This smugness from the guy who attempted to till the garden last week and let the tiller pull him ten feet and throw his *** on the ground!)

HFD 66
    I'm glad that your doing good
    its sound like you would make a good man serve on IACOJ safety committee.

Forum Member

Default Safety Commitee???

Well, I could serve in 2 capacities. As the lead investigator for the BMI and a member of the safety commitee, absolutely.

Dave

hfd66 I am also glad to hear that you are ok.

I echo the sentiment that it would be a cold
    day in hxxx before I called our unit. We are
    very good, but ohh the embarrassment of it all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......OH MY GOD!!...but seriously....(snicker, snicker)....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! !!!!!!!!!......I'll get back to this later after I finish laughing!.......

P.S. I'm glad to hear that you didn't hurt anything. (snicker)
    Last edited by Halligan; 05-23-2002 at 07:55 AM.
    "Never mistake knowledge for intelligence; it is like mistaking a cup of milk for an entire cow."-Thomas Jefferson

I.A.C.O.J. Member and F.A.R.T.'s local 4 founding member

Mama said she only raised one fool.....Hey wait a minute I'm an ONLY CHILD???

Way to go Dave!!
    Glad to hear you are ok!!

Diddo on not calling your own dept to come and pick you up!! Then there would be pictures for proof of your "I should have know better" accident!!

FDNY we will never forget 9-11

Thread Information