1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Moulton, Al. USA

    Post Natural Gas Line Cut!!

    The Moulton Fire Dept.responded to at reported Gas line cut at 12:37p.m. on Wednesday May 8. The incident was reported to be in the middle of an elderly and low income housing project on the south end of the City.
    Upon arrival by Captain 104,he advised that it was a 2" natural gas line that had been cut by a backhoe crew doing an installation project at the housing complex.
    Chief 101,and Engine 20 arrived soon after and an evacuation of all downwind persons was already intiated by 104 and the Police Dept.The Gas Dept. also responded and cut off the gas main approx. 15 to 20 minutes into the incident.
    No injuries resulted (luckily) to anyone involved and all units cleared at 13:19 hours.
    Units responding: Engine 20, Captain 104,Chief 101,Police and Gas units.

    P.S. The crew that was doing the work had called the "one call" number and the lines had been located (or so they thought). Maybe we should all be very careful because it seems that the so called experts do NOT know where the lines are after all.
    Last edited by fire104capt; 05-09-2002 at 02:36 PM.

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ramseycl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Next to the big ditch


    Kind of related:

    Durango resident dies after suffering third-degree burns

    May 2, 2002

    By Jennifer Reeder
    Special to the Herald

    Durango resident Scott Newbold died early Wednesday morning at an Albuquerque hospital from third-degree burns he sustained when his backhoe punctured a natural-gas pipeline 11 days ago.

    Newbold, 44, had been in a medically induced coma at the University of New Mexico Medical Center since April 22, when 78 percent of his body was burned in the accident.

    He was digging on his property in High Flume Canyon, about 15 miles south of Durango, to install a wooden gateway when his backhoe ruptured the 6-inch fiberglass pipe, owned by BP. The gas ignited and exploded.

    Newbold, a wood merchant, was taken to Mercy Medical Center before being flown to Albuquerque for special treatment. Doctors induced the coma because of the pain involved, as is common practice with burn victims.

    Family members took turns keeping vigil at Newbold’s side, and were present when he died.

    "He fought it with everything he had," said Keith Newbold, a brother. "If anyone physically could do it, (Scott) could have. Anyone who knows him knows he’s one of the strongest people they’ve ever met."

    Keith Newbold said his family has appreciated the community’s outpouring of support and sympathy.

    A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Seventh Day Adventist Church, 1775 Florida Road. The public is invited to attend.

    Newbold’s accident and death have cast light on the dangers associated with digging in areas where underground pipes may be present. The pipe he struck was one of six pipes in a roughly 45-foot corridor. The only marked pipe was about 45 feet away. BP has said it followed the procedures for marking pipelines.

    Colorado residents who plan to dig with tools, equipment or explosives are required by law to call the state Utility Notification Center three days before a planned dig to give utility companies the chance to determine if the area is free of underground gas, cable, television and electric lines.

    The "one-call" number is (800) 922-1987.

    This is the second tragedy to strike the Newbold family since 1998. Cheri Newbold, the wife of Keith Newbold, died of hantavirus in June 1998 at the age of 38.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register