Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Time documentation

I was wondering how time is documented in different departments.
    BACKGROUND:
    I work for a combo dept and we work 24-48, 144hr in a 19 day period. Our chief records all daily timesheets. The problem,,,Sometimes he forgets to include OT for call-backs, scheduled drills, etc. Our city pays on a bi-monthly schedule and OT pay is sometimes 2-3 weeks in arrears due to our 19 day schedule. He gets a real bug in his ***** when I bring up shortages in OT. I have offered the solution of every member recording their own daily time and being subject to approval of the chief and or asst. chief.

How is time documented in your dept.?

JLucky

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

We don't have to document the times ourselves. We file a form for
    vacation, personal time, and we call in sick to the fire alarm office
    so it is recorded on tape. The battalion chief is responsible for time sheets for the guys on his shift including OT, any type of leave taken, etc. If you come in, you are assumed to be there for the correct amount of time. And this is put in by the BC.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

HEY Stay Puff Marshmellow Man,

How do you record vollie attendance? LOL

Forum Member

Station Captain puts you on the daily log. At the end of every shift the Captain faxes it to HQ. You must submit form for Vacation, Education, Comp time, and the Captain takes care of the Sick leave. We don't keep track of our time for pay period.

*Mark

We do not have any volunteers here, so I can not tell you how to handle that situation. I can tell you that we have everything that is put on a computer, We use NFIRS, (National Fire Incident Reporting System) Our particular program is setup where it keeps up with all vacation, OT, Comp, and sick time. When you are off for what ever time you have used, it is put in to the system and will reflect on your pay stub. Also,at our stations, there is a Captains log book that everyone at that station is wrote down in along with calls if ever there were ever reason that you did not get credit for, it would be hard copied. I do not know how you should handle your issue. I would, if I were you, try to find a way to alleviate this problem with your chief missing time that you put in if you are one of the paid people. Because you have to make a living and if you are not getting paid for the time you put in, that is time that you could have been putting in with your family or another job. I know he would sure miss his money if he did not get it!!!!!!!!!! And I guarantee he is getting every bit of his money on pay day. Have a good one and God Bless.
    Last edited by kfd26710; 05-12-2002 at 02:38 PM.
    IAFF Local 2270

Thanks for the replies. I should have included more info. Yes, I am a member of the paid staff. My job is subject to frequent call out for various problems (CO calls etc). City policy dictates a 2 hour min for call out after normal hours. I suspect it is just a control issue. Our Volunteers are paid-on-call and that pay system is handled differently.
    Again, thanks for the replies.

JLucky

Nice topic here. So what does everyones time sheets look like? Just seeing if anyone has a beter one then we do. Cause i know ours is way out of date. I'll scan a copy of ours later this week so all can see.

One more question while i got you alll here. If you are a paid man on a combo station and return to calls after you shift (24.25 i hope)are you paid you hourly pay or does it goto you time sheet and added up after the 27 day paid period? Also are you required to return to calls once off shift?

[COLOR=red]Go Canes
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Time log, call-backs

We have recently instituted a daily time log that paid staff are responsible for logging daily time including call-backs, drills, etc.
    As for being "required" to be available for call, we are "highly encouraged" to attend all alarms. We keep a member roster posted that we check in and check out to monitor available manpower. Our volunteers are asked to advise paid staff of their availablity to keep the board up to date. The system works very well for us. Call-backs are paid as overtime here. I know of many places that use a comp-time system.

Thread Information