1. #1
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    NF / Canada

    Question Other depts on your training grounds. Who is responsible?

    We have a training field with, smooke house, ladder tower, car wrecks etc.
    Another dept wants to go in and do some training because they have nothing like that. They are coming from a long distance so I don't know what traning they have so far.
    They will be on there own, except I will lend them a tanker and a FF to operate it.
    If someone gets hurt who's responsible?

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    NCRSQ751's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Clemmons, NC


    You need to draft a memorandum of agreement with that other department. Have them acknowledge that they will cover their members for workman's comp and that they are responsible for any damage to their own equipment (or to yours). Both of you will sign it and you will each keep a copy on file. *Consider the forms you sign to go to a weekend fire college - you always have to have your Chief sign off on the fact that they will cover you for workman's comp.*

    You might also consider individual waiver forms for each of their personnel.

    If you have an attorney for your department they can best write up these documents. If you don't you might explore approaching one for some 'charitable' work or see if the attorney for the town/city you are in will do it for you.
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    shammrock54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001


    If its your town its your command and your liability. Have agreements on command and that they will follow your orders and that all out of town FFs will be covered by their depts insurance and sops. One of the best things to do besides a lawyer would be to have a few of your guys there to monitor training, act as safety (w/ theirs), and watch your dept property.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Westchester Co., NY USA


    Shammrock and NCR, brought up some excellent points. However I'd still contact your dept/municipality attorney. I have had lawyers I know tell me that you can have anyone sign any waiver you want, but its all up to the courts if you get sued and many have been found invalid. Also with a lot of things coming down following several training accidents that have occurred in NY. The AHJ, which in this case is you if they are using your facilities are responsible for having appropriate SOG's for training and ensure that all of them are being followed. Many of the county fire training centers how to look into it. I'm sure if one of them got hurt it would be covered under their depts insurance, especially if they sign an agreement, unless of course the injury was caused by a piece of your equipment, or caused by another faulty means on your property by your property.

    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

  5. #5
    Sr. Information Officer
    NJFFSA16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    25 NW of the GW


    I would become very familiar with the Lairdsville, NY tragedy and consult legal advice for this agreement. You can't be too careful, so make sure you've got your butt covered!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

    *Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register