Default Asst. Chief Tom Kickler

Chief Kickler (38 yrs old) passed away this week after fighting a structure fire. We all were totally shocked. He was very athletic and was in the prime of his life. I think a lot of him both professionally and personally. He worked in both West Virginia and South Carolina. He was an excellent paramedic and served as an ems director and as an asst. fire chief. He had a great personality and everybody loved him. I am just curious if anybody else in the forum knew him or has any comments about him. He was very well known in the southeast.
    God Bless our wonderful country.

MembersZone Subscriber

I didn't know him, but my wife worked for him for nearly 3 years in Laurens County as a Paramedic. We found out the night he died from another Laurens Paramedic. She was very upset about it. Over the last few days, she has talked to me a little about him. As said earlier, i didn't know him, but she says that Kickler was the very best boss & person that she has ever worked for.
    It is a real shame...not even 40 years old and gone.

Default "Kick"

It is a very sad day for me. I just found out about Kick dying. I knew Tom when we both were member of the Marion County Rescue Squad. What a very tragic lost for the community Tom served. God Bless You Kick!!!!!

I did not know him but would like to send my deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

Barbs
    London (United Kingdom)
    bd a'avino

We are very sadden to hear of the death of Tom here in WV.I worked with him at CCEMS in WV, Tom was well liked and always had a heart of gold, he will dearly be missed.

Wink Remembering "Kick"

I have many fond memories of Tom Kickler, I worked under his command for almost 3 yrs at LCEMS, and also fought fire with him on several occaisions. Out of all the things I remember there is one thing that really stands out about Tom, both as a Boss and as a Firefighter..... Tom truly loved what he did, and the people he did it with. Tom was the Director at LCEMS when I first came here, but he seldom directed. He was happier to be out "in the trenches" along with his crews.
    During the snow and ice storm in '99 I remember Tom putting a spare truck in service to help cover calls. Dressed in an EMS sweatshirt jeans and tennis shoes, Tom was out in the worst of the storm, but he never went home until he was sure none of his employees needed a ride home.
    I remember a few times when I was working at EMS, on standby at a fire that Tom came to me and told me to suit up and go in, he knew nothing was worse on a firefighter than having to sit and watch everyone else do all the work.
    I remember after Tom went to PBFD and resigned as the director of LCEMS, the times he came in to work as a Paramedic to help when staffing was short. He worked as hard as any one of us, and never expected any special favors even though he had been director only monthes earlier.
    My last memory of Tom was at the fire scene, less than 2 hours before he died. Tom was his usual jovial self, doing what he loved, and doing his usual excellent job. Here was a man who could easily be an officer in ANY FD in the country, out running calls on his off day with a rural VFD, AND doing interior attack work.
    When Tom passed, all of us lost a friend, a mentor and a collegue, but most of all we lost an EXAMPLE. Tom was always one to lead by example, and by looking at how he led his life we can all learn a lot. Tom always gave 100%, took care of his crews, looked out for the other guy, and pushed himself harder than he pushed anyone else. Lets all see if we can live up to the example he so wonderfully set !

LCmedic: You obviously knew him. He truly was an example. A true leader doesn't need to command respect. He or she earns it. Tom earned mine the first day that I worked with him. He was a paramedic's paramedic and a firefighter's firefighter. Thank you for your kind words.
    God Bless our wonderful country.

Thread Information