Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Smile Help me get my dream

Hey all-

First off, just wanted to say thank you for putting it all on the line every day. I am currently trying to get into a fire academy near Dallas. I could use any tips to better my chance over the competition. I'm 6'2", 315 lbs. Large frame, but I have a gut from hell. I've been run/walking 3 miles 5 times a week for the past 3 weeks, and lifting for an hour 5 times a week. Eating better than I have been for a while, and drinking pleanty of water. I feel like I'm getting into shape, but it doesn't show that much yet. Any advice on what to do? Any advice...mental or physical would be greatly appriciated! I know in my heart this is what I was meant to do. Can't wait to be one of you guys/gals.

Thanks!

Dan

MembersZone Subscriber

"Body For Life" by Bill Phillips is an excellent book.

You can get the book at www.bn.com or www.amazon.com or any bookstore.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by superchef; 05-09-2002 at 11:58 PM.

give it time and don't give up as you get into better shape you are building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat you will notice changes soon tarrant county collage has a great fire academy that is where i went and it was great good luck and don't give up

Default Brother Dan

My girlfriend is losing weight as well as you are. And what she does is work out and work out, I know this isn't about her but I will give you advice that worked for me.
    First off, is it in your family that you are "heavy" cause if it is, thats VERY hard to over come, even if possable.

Eat nothing but good foods, but once in a Blue moon alittle snack will not kill you

Exercise daily but do not over do it

Do not lift alot of weight, do it alittle at a time

Eat a light dinner and goto bed (your lose a few pounds while you sleep) when I was a wrestler all I eat was jello and water, I shed about 8 pounds. Or get your touncels removed I lost 20 pounds that way! ( I was only kiddin about gettin your touncels removes, that hurts like hell) but whatever you do, do not give up. We are here for you.
    Dan M. B.
    NJ State Firefighter 1
    Passaic County Fire Acadamy
    Class of 2001
    "Let's Not Forget Our Fallen Heroes"
    9-11-01

Talking

Or get your jaw wired shut for 6 weeks. I lost 40 pounds that way and have managed to only gain back 10 lbs in the last 6 months.
    D. Hager
    Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

You are on the right path, just keep it up and you'll see results before long. I am 6'5 262 with a 38" waist. I used to be 6'5 330 with
    44" waist. This was about 7 years ago. I got food poisoning which helped me drop weight, and I went back to the gym. I am big boned, I
    will never be a 34" waist but I maintain. I am muscular, and I am a
    "gym rat". 5 out of 7 days I am there. Just becomes routine. Keep up
    the good work, don't get frustrated, it will pay off in the end.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Thread Information