Default Need opinions on something.

I have found a used streethawk lightbar with 4 rotators, takedowns, flahsers,and alley lights for 200.00. Does this sound like a good price and how reliable are they? Any input would be appreciated.

My input...don't get one! Outlaw bluelight wackers!!
    "Lets face it...some are better than others!"

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Any Helpfull input is appreciated!

Forum Member

Our VFD uses Streethawks on most of our trucks. They are a good light bar. We have a couple that we got used from the local police department. They were on several cars before we got them and they are still going strong. They are atleast 10 years old so you be the judge.

We paid over $450 for our last one (new) in 2000. $200 seems reasonable if it is servicable.

We also have 1 Vector and it is better looking in a parade but they cost over $800. On a budget I would get the Streethawk. All the parts are still available and you can change the configuration of the bar as your needs change - we changed the front takedowns and alley lights to yellow flashers on our tenders (tankers for you firefighters east of us).

Sounds like a good deal. Just check the wiring and lenses.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked on here was because I'm on a small department which is strictly volunteer except for the chief and there are very few people the I know that have full size lightbars and I don't know a whole lot about them because I've always used a dash strobe but I would like the added warning power of a full size lightbar. Any more opinions?

Do you need a full size lightbar? Some of the newer visor lights work great with the varying LED light patterns. What you need to increase your visibility is the most contrast and varying patterns to visually attract the attention of the drivers in front of you. A good varying flash pattern light in your truck (or car) and some wig-wags or other lights work very well. The nice thing about visor lights is they tuck away from sight when not in use which frees up more space within your vehicle and when you go into a bigger city one less thing for someone to break into your truck for. What you need is the most contrast to attract the attention of drivers and bigger isn't always better. There will always be the knuckleheaded drivers to never "see" you and keep going below the speed limit and blocking your lane while an unresponsive patient or working structure fire is in progress. Good luck!

I don't know if I "need" a full size bar but I think it would give more warning power espically during the day.While I agree with you in that there will always be people that for whatever reason won't yield even with a siren, but you can bet your *** if it was their home in flames they would be moving!

Default A couple of quick things to check out:

First off, How many amps dose the StreetHawk draw? Dose your car produce the power for it?

In my department, we allow firefighters to use blue lights but we have a few Unofficial rules.
    1 - no one has a full bar.
    2- don't run blue for an auto alarm
    3- dep. supplies red lights and sirens for all chiefs that are allowed to run them according to PA DMV Code
    4- check your state's vehicle code. In PA, you are limited as to the number of lights you can place on a POV.

You may be able to get a new minny bar {2 rotators} for about $100. Why buy someone's old problems when you can get new ones all your own.

If you use your car for road closing { ex. fire police} I think you should well mark you vehicle.

KEEP SAFE ALL and remember:
    even if the street is 'closed' don't play in traffic!!!!

Before you buy the lightbar find out what the laws are in your state you may not be able to use the lightbar according to law,in New York I think we are only allowed a one bulb blue light as always you have people that have strobes and full lightbars the local police don't bother them but if you are doing something stupid it just draws attention to you. You may have another problem if this is your only vehicle and you are going on vacation to another state their laws may be different for instance I was going from New York to Florida and while I was going through Virgina I was sitting in traffic on 95 when a trooper was standing on the side of the road checking the cars as they crawled by he saw my blue light on the dash and asked me to take it down all the police cars run blue lights in that state it was easy for me I just pulled the light off my dash and it was done you won't have that option with the full lightbar.
    AJM108
    Captain Ridge Fire Dept.
    Company One

Thanks for the replies. In my state or at least my department we can use full size lightbars. I made sure to ask my chief before I even considered buying it. I look at it like this if I buy a new dash light or mini bar and a speaker I'm looking at about the same amount of money. Granted it would be new but this bar already has the speaker in it.I rarley even run code to calls unless I'm going through a intersection or heavy traffic. Also it would be going on a full size pickup with a v8 engine so it should be able to handle the load.

In Pennsylvania, a warning light must be visible 360 degreees around the vehicle. That eliminates dash strobes. My department does not allow blue lights for firefighters. The 4 chief officers only run red lights. As chief, I have an Excaliber low profile light bar. Works well for me. Vectors on our apparatus.

Thread Information