Thread: LPG Car Fires

Exclamation LPG Car Fires

Hi,

Has anyone got pictures/video's/storie's of incidents involving LPG (Dual-fuel) (Alternative fuel) vehicles ?

Many Thanks on this

Paul

Forum Member

Paul-

I don't myself, but this is a good time to ask my American comrades if they know the Schwan's frozen food delivery trucks run on LPG. Well, they do.

Default Drop the puck

Don't Zambonis run on LPG?
    www.cafepress.com/firerev

Forum Member

In my area we have taxi cabs that run on propane. The trucks from the gas company run on natural gas. We have met with both groups about these 2 systems and concerns about them. Both groups gave the same advice...if the vehicle is on fire....run. There are shutoff valves that will stop the flow of gas, but of course, they are right next to the storage tanks that you want to avoid. Knock on wood, we have not had to respond to any of these calls yet, and not looking forward to the first one.

I never have had to fight a car fire with these systems yet. I can see where this could be a problem, Some of the pick-up trucks here run on propane with 100 gallon tanks behind the cab in the bed. The only experiance I have at all with this was on one that had aired the tires up with propane. That was one H*** of a BOOM! If I came up on one with the tank like you all have talked about I would take thier advice and run very fast.

BE SAFE
    D308

Sr. Information Officer

Post LPG fueled Vehicles

No photos...but some interesting points at this Oklahoma University url: http://www.ou.edu/oupd/altfuel.htm

Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Default question

i just have a question about cars that run on lpg. do they have to be placarded. i know that if a truck is transporting lpg it has to have a placard...does this same thing go for cars running on lpg.

PaulUK,

You might also want to try to the extrication forum. Those guys post photos of MVA's all the time, and I am sure that some will have pics of vehicles using LPG. I know the malahat fire rescue has photos on their website showing a tanker rollover, and I believe it was carrying LPG. Sorry I don't know the site name off hand. Try firefighter 26 or Malahat Two-7, it's their station so I'm sure they will be able to help you out.

Temp

MembersZone Subscriber

Unfortunately we get heaps of them here, both with prangs and fires. Apparently Victoria has the highest % of LPG powered vehicles in the world. We have specially trained stations that have all the gear to flare off gas in cylinders that have been in accidents or fires. Probably one in every 40 calls to prangs or car fires involves LPG fuelled vehicles. LPG is very cheap down here in comparison to petrol, so many larger cars have it fitted. All taxis are on LPG. Some cars are coming out LPG only now. We get so many that we train specifically for it.

A couple of points to remember are
    1) Concentrate on cooling the cylinder (makes sense but you see a lot of people hitting the engine first)
    2) Know that the cylinders are designed so that the ends will blow out first

Probably the best place to get more info is (I'll dob him in here!)

Fire Officer Keith Merritt
    Chelsea Fire Station
    Chelsea Vic 3196
    Australia
    email should be k.merrett@cfa.vic.gov.au

Keith is the absolute guru on anything to do with LPG, he's run tests where they BLEVE'd cylinders in cars etc and wrote the book on how to handle fires and incidents involving LPG. He's a true gentleman as well.

Keith is on B Shift, so he won't be back on until Wednesday.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by stillPSFB; 05-12-2002 at 12:56 AM.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

MembersZone Subscriber

Vehicles that are powered by either LPG (liquified petroleum gas) or CNG (compresed natural gas) are supposed to have a small (approx 2") black and while diamond symbol, with either LPG or CNG on it, affixed to the rear of the vehicle. This is an indication as to what the vehicle is powered by.

Most of the passenger cars I've seen, the storage tank is mounted in the trunk. On LPG setups, the common size tank is approx. 100 pounds (approx 25 gallons) of propane. I'm not sure what the capacity is of the CNG tanks.

Vehicle only need to be placarded when they are carrying over 1000 pounds of propane (or about 250 gallons).

Commercial vehicles transporting anything under the 1000 pounds only needs to be manifested. However, the motorfuel tank does not need to be specified on the manifest.

These are all guidelines based on United States DOT specifications.

Hi,

Thanks for the input so far, UK vehicle's do not have to carry any signage to indicate they are running on LPG.

I look forward to the email addy of the guy in Victoria.

Thanks Again

Paul )

Thread Information