FIGJAM

Thumbs up Patient Protection

I received this email today from Kbud and thought I'd share it with everyone and see what everyone else is doing....

"Have you ever used this device?
    Patient Protection Device (PPD) by Neann

If you use something else, could you give me the details?

I'm looking to improve what we currently use for patient protection - lightweight space blankets for soft and semi-flexible metal boards (surplus street signs) for hard protection.

I've also used a KED as sort of a patient wrap for hard protection before. The problem with the metal boards is the inability to get them in tight spaces or severely distorted vehicles."

Our rescue unit was quite instrumental in the design and testing phase of these devices on offer by Neann. We've tried all sorts of things from blankets, KEDS, plastic, etc. and settled on these. To date we carry 1 set in each rescue truck. (Unforunately some of the photos on the website don't really do it justice for its versatility!)

Some of the problems we encountered using other things include:

Clear Sheets- watch the heart monitor of a casualty that can see the spreaders and shears operating 2 inches from their face! Also, all the people and flashing lights, etc can become very disorientating, etc.

Blankets- Can become hot when draped over the casualty and also may bring on claustraphobia in some casualties.

KED- The PPD is based on some of the design features of the KED. The downside of the KED is the size. It does not offer enough coverage.

Spine Boards, etc- As stated by Kbud, they're too limiting in the ways and types of spaces they can be used in.

What does everyone else use and why?
    Luke

Forum Member

We use blue plastic tarps that are 4' x 8' in size. They are inexpensive, available just about anywhere, and are very flexible. They hold up well to glass. For more rigid protection, we use old back boards that are cut into thirds. They are small enough to get where we want and still cover the area we wish. They tend not to cover the patient in a way that would cause claustrophobia.

However, these PPD's look kind of interesting.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lutan,
    One thing we have been using for years are the padded-"blankets" that commercial moving companies use. We got our hands on a few a couple years ago and have had great results. every year one of the companies in our city gives us a couple. They are thick and padded, and are big enough to cover the front or rear with one.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

To date, we have been successful with just using a large plastic tarp. So far we have had no real problem with patient exposure to glass flying around the compartment and they readily cover a large area.

As stated earlier, they are inexpensive, and come in many sizes. However, I do like the idea of using the padded packing blankets. Might look into trying to get a couple of those. I suppose a horse blanket might work too....???
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

FIGJAM

Wouldn't a horse blanket be a bit heavy and bulky, Malahat?

The weight of whatever we use, I believe would be an issue if the casualty suffered a neck or spinal injury....
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Lutan, the moving blankets are a bit heavier, but we haven't had any problems with them. No patient complaints, and I also have had them over my head and cannot recall them every feeling like I had to hold them up. The other thing I can recall is that when in the car, most of the time someone has a helmet on and is a little higher then the patient and that helped also. I'm not familiar with horse blankets, so I can't lend any comments on that one. Also not to promote them for that use, but cervical collars also help strenghten the neck except for lateral movement. But again, I haven't seen anything of that sort, and we really like using them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Simple Question for you all, In this Day and age of Suplemental Restraints and the rule of thumb not to put anything between the Bags and out Patients, Doe"anything" include soft restraints too? Or Semi Soft? I wish we had some options and think this is an important issue, I have wondered about use of things like personal body armor, you know like KEVLAR vest, Let's hear some more viewpoints on this subject
    Rescue is the Art & Science of matching your tools, talents and tricks to needs of our customers!
    Carl D. Avery

Forum Member

Wow. Hard to believe that two people about a half a world apart can get the same basic idea. I have been playing with that exact same consept for about 2.5 years. I tried to combine "Hard and Soft" protection in the same unit, and believe it or not I called it the "PPB" (Pictures can be seen in my 2000 catalog). The stumbling blocks that I had to overcome were cost. I found an excellant material at FDIC 2 years ago. It was a Kevlar/Aromid/Nomex concept fabric. It was perfect but very costly. I was afraid that you all would laugh at me tring to get $200.00 for pleated blanket with sewn in stiffeners. Several comp teams used this PPB in the past couple years and had good feedback, but cost was still a problem. In the past 6 months I think I have come up with the solution. A heavy grade industrial vinyl with small stiffeners bonded in. They are big enough to add protection but small enough to conform where needed. I Have just returned from the South East Regional Comp in Fla. and at least 8 teams used it. All comments were favorable and the only suggestion was to add grab handles. Now that the prototype has passed its test I'll be ready to start punching them out. Still not sure of cost but they may be cheap enough to be disposable if they really get messed up. But the plan is to make them reusable with normal decon methods.

Must be true "Great minds really do think alike"

Zmag

Thread Information