Question Emergency Vehicle Accidents & Court Cases

Hello to all.

Question : Looking for information, stats, and actual cases that involved Fire Department personnel driving emergency vehicles involved in accidents where the operator was either convicted, sentenced to jail term, or had to pay a personnal fine for negligence.

I am attempting to put together some training information. Thank you in advance.

TheWeav.

Disillusioned Subscriber

There was a guy here in Ohio that actually spent some time in prison off of charges stemming from a death in an accident that he was in while driving an EMS unit using lights and siren. It seems there was at least 1 person killed.

I'll try to find his name. He's doing the lecture thing now. He speaks on his experiences in this whole thing, and is actually quite interesting. He causes one to stop and examine their own emergency driving habits!
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ohio court case

There was a guy here in Ohio that actually spent some time in prison off of charges stemming from a death in an accident that he was in while driving an EMS unit using lights and siren. It seems there was at least 1 person killed.

Just posting this in case anyone needs the information. I just looked this up for one of the CEVO instructors at work.

Ohio vs Montecalvo

Charge was failing to proceed cautiously past a red or stop signal and involuntary manslaughter.

The six counts against him were:
    Aggravated vehicular manslaughter,
    involuntary manslaughter,
    reckless operation,
    emergency vehicles to proceed cautiously past red or stop signal,
    failure to obey traffic control devices
    failure to assure clear distance

It was 2 counts of manslaughter because the young woman he hit was pregnant at the time of the accident. A child in the car survived the accident.

JC Murphy NREMT-B
    New Jersey Fire Official.

Forum Member

do a search and dont forget Andee Huber .
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Default emergency vehicle accidents

check out the website, www.tmlirp.org or phone 800-537-6655. This is the Texas Municipal League Risk Pool & they keep all kinds of stats for the TML risk pool. These are the folks that insure most of the Cities in Texas. I think the guy you need to speak with is Ronnie. God luck!

Thread Information