Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation DO you guys get hazed

I know it isnt really something should happen at a fire dept. but theres no denying that it does happen. SO what kinda hazing do you guys go through with. When I first joined as a cadet i was a many of times shot with the water, or with one of the many old Co2 cans laying around. Also when ever we practice rope rescue, i tend to "somehow" get tied up in some sort of painful postion or another, then the Co2 comes out again. BUt it is in all fun and games ususally the guys doign it are the youngest firefighters (18-25) there, and they stop if i ask em too.
    nothing sticks to teflon Station 34-3 "fighting 80"

9/11 will remian heavy in all of hearts. FDNY PAPD NYPD and everyone else affected by this act of pointless anger will be remebered by all for your ultimate act of bravery.

Arrow

we dont haze here, i dont think its legal(but im not sure) we joke around though. we tell them were gonna hit them with the hose, or when we issue them the longer boots that you have to fold to put away, we tell them that if they dont have them pulled up, were gonna fill their boots with water. We are joking though, we never do it.
    IACOJ

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

No, hazing is illegal. Any and all hazing should be reported to the proper authorities. BUT, there is a big difference between joking and hazing, and we joke a lot. If we don't joke around with you, then we probably don't like you.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Yes, hazing is illegal, but joking around is not. There is, however, a fine line between joking and hazing. If you ask people to stop tying you up or dousing you with water, and they don't...well that's hazing. We do a lot of joking around, it helps relieve the stress that comes with being in a job where you fight to save people's lives and sometimes lose. Joking is just a way to chill with your buddies and have some fun. I agree with WFDjr1 who said that if they don't joke around with you they probably don't like you. Of course, I found myself strapped into a backboard and hanging upside down a couple weekends ago... hehe, the guys said they needed to check the straps for weakness... .

I'm sure all of us are guilty of joking around with the people on our teams. We had a training excersize for my SAR team where we had to immobilize our first sgt. on a backboard. We did our job and were told to carry him back to camp through the woods...well, we carried him back...upside down...and then leaned him upright against a tree... we let him down when he asked us too, though.

Forum Member

We joke around all the time. But there are a handful that take it way too far, and well thats a different story. Theres the occasional helmet switching. Ya know occasioally take the safety officers helmet. And its just all fun and games though. It's not hazing until you don't stop as requested.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Default what's it all about?

I would say that "hazing" in the true sense, is illegal and is a form of harrassment, and typically, the goofing around are really a series of tests, given a "new guy" to get to know them , what makes them tick, what sorts of things they can handle and what they can't handle... all that isnt a bad thing, >until it gets carried away or there is a personality conflict and thngs get carried away and reallly out of hand...cause then people can get hurt..

tieing someone up on a backboard isnt a bad thing but tieing someone on a backboard and hanging them upside down in the hose tower 25 feet off the ground could cause real injury.. Blowing off a co≤ and scaring the crap outta someone might be ok, but imagine if they had a unknown heart condition.....

Through the years, I have played many pranks and had some played on me, But you shouldn't mess with anyones turn outs... or cars, lol
    though I have used black shoe polish on the leathersweat band of someone's helmet, and black telephone reciever
    (leaves black mark..) I have flown someones pants up the flagpole while he was in the house shower... causing him to go retreive them dressed in a towel, On Rt 1.. ( cruel would have been taking the towel too, or cold weather)
    I know guys who have changed the persons boots left to right and right to left in his bunker pants, but imagine him learning this at a fire scene... I know someone who filled anothers bunker boots with water, with in his cubbyhole (dark) at work , he came in went to grab his bunkers that were mysteriously 30 lbs heavier...
    Keep in mind, they Knew he had another set...to wear.. or baby powder inside his helmet liner, ya put it on and poof, but again , you better be sure he isnt allergic to either the talc or the additives.... I have seen peoples cars moved, turned around in a parking space, bicycles up flagpoles, on the roof of the firehouse,
    "stolen" cars moved down the street someplace, but realisticly, pranks and or goofing around , much less "hazing" really is a way to measure you up and see what sort of person you are, as long as its not hurtful or out of hand...or focused at one individual as harrassment
    Heck, If the brothers (and sisters), didnt bust my chops I would be worried...

Haxing is illegal and should not be tolerated.

I am sure that juniors/cadets/explorers get picked on and set up with jokes but as long as no one is offended and there is no degree of danger in the pranks in most cases they are tolerated.

The problem is that very often someone will decide to try and outdo the prank played by someone else and as it snowballs it becomes dangerous.

So it is best to stop it before it starts and say NO....NOTTA....ZIP....ZILCH... .0 tolerance. It is unfortunate, but it is necessary because someone will ultimately not know the limits. When that happens and someone is injured or worse...it is too late isnt it?
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

Default jokeing

in my post we are always jokeing around i noticed in the voleentercomponys ive been to that get maybe 4 calls a year but they walk around like big ol fdny vetrans and there never jokeing buti work in union departemnt cuz we got expierence and were not there to impress anyone and we do pull alot of jokes on each other though but nothing dangerous

Hazing...no way...

I think the guys above have pretty much summed up this thread. Hazing does not happen at my station; joking, picking, and constant nagging do. As long as someone knows when enough is enough, it's all in good fun.

Not so much me but ive seen some cadets get messed with really bad. like tied to the strether and pushed really hard in to things. punching bags thrown on them from 2nd story, and tied u to every other conceviabe thing. They also get just beat up in a findly way.

Default Hmmm Dya'ever wonder why?

>dfdex1 wrote somefin like

in my post we are always jokeing around i noticed in the voleenter componys
    that get maybe 4 calls a year but they walk around like big ol fdny vetrans and there never jokeing ???
    buti work in union departemnt cuz we got expierence >>>snipitysnap<<<

1) constand goofing around isnt always the best thing, it might mean that rather then doing what needs to get done your busy playing games both on the street and in house...
    2) If you only got 4 calls a year a) your goin to be scared of getting a 5th and wont know what to do IF you do, so you certainly can't be
    jacking around.
    b) FDNY guys have great sense of humor, and prob raise more heck then anyone...
    3) I Know that when times are slim, the guys get ansy, the busier you are the better off you are if you dot do nuthing, then there are no stories, nothing to even make fun of... Back before I became career, we had a retired fdny fire marshall, we young guys all wanted work, and meeting nights especially "Aldo" was always good with a story, usually it was funny as heck.. one night he told us about the new rookie, Dickie, one day in the south bronx, Ladder 17
    responded to a fire in a 6 story H type, they went to the roof to effect rescues in the "shaft way" they lowered the rookie down on a Knot called a "Bowline on a bight" and he rescued like 6 people being lowered and raised and lowered and raised again, and he was decorated for the rescues... I found out later Richard Hamilton was hired in like 1948 after WW2 went on from L-17 to a rescue company as LT, and was the most decorated man in the FDNY.
    He wrote abook about his career, called 20,000 alarms (it is out of print but try to get a copy to read) the 1st chapter is called "Bowline ona bight". Aldo retired in 1960, long before the bronx was in its firefighting heyday, but in a time when only rescue used Masks he had lost his voicebox which was burned in a job, and we all strained to circle him to hear what he had to say...in his gruffled whisper. the biggest lessons he taught? 1) you go to a job, someone is losing everything the worked long and hard for...
    2) whether YOUR on a company that does 8,000 runs a year or is an island company that responds with a golf cart, the bravest thing you did was offer to do the job...

Maybe they act big and bad because they are trying to impress you with proffesionalism instead doing stupid "volly trix"
    maybe they goof around but not in the public eye... to them , your an outsider...

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Exclamation

. . . just ask the guys at the Littleton, Colo., F.D. about "Butt Ball ", & see what they have 2 say about hazing! Not only did it "make the papers ", but I think it went all the way up to an A'snt. Chief.

"Razzin' ", teasin', "havin' fun" with someone is one thing; hav'in someone "clench" a tennis ball between their butt-cheecks while doin' the dishes is something else !!!

Most importantaly, remember: If you wouldn't want it done to you, DON'T do it to them. If you don't like the person , ask yourself "WHY" and how you can make that person your friend instead of "running him out of" your Dept.

USE that thing that is on top of your shoulders!! It's not just there to support your "pretty smile" that U think the chearleaders like. What's the ol' say'in, . . . don't "judge" until U've walked a mile in thier shoes (or fire boots, if ya like!).

PEACE, out

Thread Information